Olympics: 2014 — U.S. Roster Discussion (Part VIII)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
One really good thing about this win is even if USA loses to Russia they would still have a good chance to get a bye because of the goal differential tie breaker.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
Us offense? (nothing to do with game today)

not much to do with the game today. Why was this questioned when 5 of the top 11 goal scorers in the NHL are on the team?:shakehead (thanks NBC for actually pointing this out).

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
This team was underrated from the get go. Just cause we left off Yandle, Ryan, Okposo, and the Johnsons somehow their forwards aren't good enough to compete and the blueline was pitiful and the US would be lucky to medal. Those are all opinions I've actually read on this site. No exaggerations.

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Not to start a big comparison between the two countries, but I'd take every American defenseman besides Brooks Orpik over Dan Hamhuis...

Seems to me that's not a comparison between countries, just your opinion of Dan Hamhuis. I believe Canada has a few other defensemen; pretty good so I hear.

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009
I'd expect Orpik to get a lot more ice time against Russia. When the Pens play WSH, Bylsma always puts him out against Ovechkin, and he usually does a good job even strength against him. Problem is, that would now allow Malkin to skate circles around him.

Parise-Backes-Callahan
Suter-Martin

That group will most likely be on the ice every time Geno and Ovechkin are on the ice.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
not much to do with the game today. Why was this questioned when 5 of the top 11 goal scorers in the NHL are on the team?:shakehead (thanks NBC for actually pointing this out).

Well, for starters goal scoring alone isn't necessarily the only factor. Points in general matter. Also, I think depth is a factor too. The US just doesn't look as strong up front, or down the middle. They need their top forwards to be their top forwards.

I do think their blue line will be a big part of their offense, and I think that's key. They need to possess the puck, and play a fast game. A good blue line is a big part of that.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
Well, for starters goal scoring alone isn't necessarily the only factor. Points in general matter. Also, I think depth is a factor too. The US just doesn't look as strong up front, or down the middle. They need their top forwards to be their top forwards.

I do think their blue line will be a big part of their offense, and I think that's key. They need to possess the puck, and play a fast game. A good blue line is a big part of that.

On Paper

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006

What's your point? Isn't "on paper" the foundation of your argument? You brought up the goal scoring numbers. You can't expect paper stats to be thrown out before the tournament even begins, and you asked why people wondered how this team was doing offensively. What else do you want? You want people to assume the team will be better than the sum of its parts before they even play a game? Without seeing this team play together, the only way to really compare them is statistically.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Was just going to say, wonder who faces him. Suter due to being #1 on the depth chart, or McDonagh who has had a lot of success vs Ovechkin.

Who has last change? It's possible that if Russia has last change, those two guys are on the ice just so one of them can be there when Ovechkin is on the ice.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I personally do not fear anybody after the way this team played its first game.

Russia struggled to beat Slovenia in their first game and it proves my point that they just arent deep enough or have the defense to beat us. Plain and simple.

We started off slow but really got going in the second period. This team has so many weapons and can roll all 4 lines at you that can score. The defense was fine with only Suter looking blah out there.

Russia will be the true test of course, if we win great, but if we win emphatically then you know this is truly meant to be.

Great game boys, cannot wait to pound that Ovechkin into the boards on Saturday!!

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
The one guy who really impressed me today was Shattenkirk. His skill set was a perfect match for the big ice (and the opponent). Definitely a solid choice by Poile and company.

Wanted to see more out of Fowler, but in a 7-1 game not exactly like he needed to beast or anything. :laugh:

FloridaCap

Beaglechuk Mania
Jun 30, 2012
I personally do not fear anybody after the way this team played its first game.

Russia struggled to beat Slovenia in their first game and it proves my point that they just arent deep enough or have the defense to beat us. Plain and simple.

We started off slow but really got going in the second period. This team has so many weapons and can roll all 4 lines at you that can score. The defense was fine with only Suter looking blah out there.

Russia will be the true test of course, if we win great, but if we win emphatically then you know this is truly meant to be.

Great game boys, cannot wait to pound that Ovechkin into the boards on Saturday!!

Shut him down by all means, but please be easy on him when it comes to hitting. 1) I don't want him injured, 2) He's better when you hit him.

Stick on puck. :nod:

magic school bus

Jun 4, 2010
San Jose, CA
I'm interested to see how Slovakia does in the other 2 games of the group games. I think we just overwhelmed them but who knows they could just not be very good this time around.

I have no idea how they looked so bad. They have a team full of NHLers, an above average goalie and arguably the best defenseman in the world.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I have no idea how they looked so bad. They have a team full of NHLers, an above average goalie and arguably the best defenseman in the world.

They have 12 NHLers on the roster including the goalies. And a few of the NHLers are fringe ones at this point in their careers.

This team has taken a hit with veteran stalwarts retiring and the tragedy involving Pavol Demitra. Add to that 2 key cogs in Gaborik and Visnovsky out with injuries and they just don't have enough depth to compete with the top guys. They haven't been producing enough quality players either to bridge the gap with the natural decline of their star players either. It's unfortunate, but hopefully they can start developing better at the junior levels. It's going to be rough when Hossa and Chara retire. Tatar and Jurco are nice players, but they aren't going to be able to fill the void alone. If they haven't already done so, Switzerland will being taking their spot in the "Big 7" soon.

magic school bus

Jun 4, 2010
San Jose, CA
They have 12 NHLers on the roster including the goalies. And a few of the NHLers are fringe ones at this point in their careers.

This team has taken a hit with veteran stalwarts retiring and the tragedy involving Pavol Demitra. Add to that 2 key cogs in Gaborik and Visnovsky out with injuries and they just don't have enough depth to compete with the top guys. They haven't been producing enough quality players either to bridge the gap with the natural decline of their star players either. It's unfortunate, but hopefully they can start developing better at the junior levels. It's going to be rough when Hossa and Chara retire. Tatar and Jurco are nice players, but they aren't going to be able to fill the void alone. If they haven't already done so, Switzerland will being taking their spot in the "Big 7" soon.

But still, they've played on the same ice as these guys before and shouldn't be overwhelmed and blown out by them, especially when you see teams like Norway and Slovenia stay close with Canada and Russia.

Last edited:

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona

Huh? Down the middles, yes. But they don't look strong up front in general? I strongly disagree.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Huh? Down the middles, yes. But they don't look strong up front in general? I strongly disagree.

I didnt say they dont look strong up front, I said as strong. As in, they don't look as strong as favorite Canada.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
This team was underrated from the get go. Just cause we left off Yandle, Ryan, Okposo, and the Johnsons somehow their forwards aren't good enough to compete and the blueline was pitiful and the US would be lucky to medal. Those are all opinions I've actually read on this site. No exaggerations.
:laugh: So true, but are you surprised? This site overreacts so much. I mean I would have picked Bobby Ryan if I was GM, but I got over it pretty quickly. Every team probably left off a good player or two, it's not a big deal and this team is obviously very talented. Really hope they continue to prove all those people wrong that were throwing in the towel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad