Olympics: 2014 — U.S. Roster Discussion (Part VII)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KittysGotClaws

We See Red
Dec 17, 2008
N of BB&T
I actually like your lines a lot and that could be what they look like.

What will be fun to see is where they view Pacioretty as a top 6 player or bottom 6 player. I think that makes the lines completely different and if they view Max as a top 6er then your lines would be the logical choice to start it out.

Kane and Kesler are a lock to play together.

Kessel and JVR are a lock to play together. I think it is a safe bet that we see Pavelski play with both of them to balance things out.

The question is does USA Hockey view Patches as a player that can play with Kane and Kesler and be the goal scorer on that line or do they view Parise as the better fit there and put Patches with Stastny and Wheeler who have chemistry built already??

I posted my lines a while back but I will do so again and see the comparison and which one might look better overall.

Which lineup looks better overall ??

Parise - Kesler - Kane
JVR - Pavelski - Kessel
Pacioretty - Stastny - Wheeler
Brown - Backes - Oshie
Stepan/Callahan

Suter - Martin
McDonagh - Shattenkirk
Carlson - Fowler
Faulk - Orpik

Miller
Quick
Howard

JVR - Pavelski - Kessel
Pacioretty - Kesler - Kane
Parise - Backes - Oshie
Brown - Stastny - Callahan
Wheeler
Stepan

Suter - Martin
McDonagh - Carlson
Fowler - Shattenkirk
Faulk
Orpik

Miller
Quick
Howard

The first lineup, definitely. Parise is not playing on the third line.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
well thank God Martin just had a +3 last night to minimize that minus :laugh:

crazy that Niskanen is +28 and Martin is -1....

You wouldn't have to worry about Martin at all, the first few games Martin came back he was rusty, id say the last 5 or 6 games Martin is back to 100%, hes playing great hockey like he was before he got injured.

Nisky has had a good year, but hes been a 5 or 6 def for the pens the last few years, its kinda hard to invite a bottom pairing def to the Olympics after a good 40 games.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
You wouldn't have to worry about Martin at all, the first few games Martin came back he was rusty, id say the last 5 or 6 games Martin is back to 100%, hes playing great hockey like he was before he got injured.

Nisky has had a good year, but hes been a 5 or 6 def for the pens the last few years, its kinda hard to invite a bottom pairing def to the Olympics after a good 40 games.

agreed. just said by looking at stats one can ***** that the overall leader in plus/minus and a top 5 scorer for US dmen is not on the team. he has played remarkably well this year and looks to be hitting his stride now.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
I actually like your lines a lot and that could be what they look like.

What will be fun to see is where they view Pacioretty as a top 6 player or bottom 6 player. I think that makes the lines completely different and if they view Max as a top 6er then your lines would be the logical choice to start it out.

Kane and Kesler are a lock to play together.

Kessel and JVR are a lock to play together. I think it is a safe bet that we see Pavelski play with both of them to balance things out.

The question is does USA Hockey view Patches as a player that can play with Kane and Kesler and be the goal scorer on that line or do they view Parise as the better fit there and put Patches with Stastny and Wheeler who have chemistry built already??

I posted my lines a while back but I will do so again and see the comparison and which one might look better overall.

Which lineup looks better overall ??

Parise - Kesler - Kane
JVR - Pavelski - Kessel
Pacioretty - Stastny - Wheeler
Brown - Backes - Oshie
Stepan/Callahan

Suter - Martin
McDonagh - Shattenkirk
Carlson - Fowler
Faulk - Orpik

Miller
Quick
Howard

JVR - Pavelski - Kessel
Parise - Backes - Oshie
Wheeler
Stepan

Suter - Martin
McDonagh - Carlson
Fowler - Shattenkirk
Faulk
Orpik

Miller
Quick
Howard
Patches will probably have to earn his stripes as he's the new guy and we don't know if he can perform on the big stages, as he didn't really show up against Ottawa last year, although I excuse him since he was not 100% healthy. That being said, he has a great one timer and goalscorer's luck, so there much potential if the does play with Kane and Kesler. Although, any role that can consistently spring him behind the D(needs to play with puck mover Dmen) will be effective since many of his goals this season involve him receiving a pass, blowing by the D, and then burning the goalie one-on-one.

I think the third line on an Olympic can also be considered a scoring line since the total skill level of the team is higher, so even if he plays on the third line, that third line can be a threat to score goals.

I follow the Habs, as they are my favorite team, and Pacioretty really has some sniping ability when he has a playmaker that can get sweet passes onto his stick. David Desharnais quite limited in many facets of the game, but feeding Pacioretty is not one of those limitations. Also, if Pacioretty gets behind the D, he can make goalies look silly. He tends to bury one-timers setups as well.

He probably can do well in an exploitation role with Statsny and Wheeler. Lots of potential with Wheeler because they both have some serious afterburners.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
it is still insanely crazy that a guy like Martin is a -1 while Niskanen and his 22 minutes of softness is a +28 on a team that scores as many goals as it does.

point being, Martin simply shouldn't be minus.

Have you seen the plus/minus lately of a lot of the top d-men who play big minutes-in particular against the other team's top lines? It isn't pretty. I mean a guy like Shea Weber is -8. Guys like OEL, Subban, McDonagh, and Suter are all just above even.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Have you seen the plus/minus lately of a lot of the top d-men who play big minutes-in particular against the other team's top lines? It isn't pretty. I mean a guy like Shea Weber is -8. Guys like OEL, Subban, McDonagh, and Suter are all just above even.

agreed with that but.....

Pittsburg is a +49 overall for the love of God. All those names you mentioned are on teams well below that as Phoenix overall is a minus 7 and Nashville is a minus 30 which explains OEL and Weber.

Montreal is EVEN and Minnesota is a minus 3, again explains Subban and Suter.

BUT a freaking plus 49 and Martin is minus 1??? My issue is how bad that looks. You can make excuses for he plays against top players, but come on, he also plays with top players on one of the highest scoring teams in the league. There is zero excuse or reason for him to be minus.

I like Martin and have no gripes with him, I actually love to see him paired with Suter, but looking over plus/minus (which of course is a misleading stat at times and people take too seriously) it does worry me that on an offensive juggernaut the dude is a minus player while a guy like Niskanen who people said was bad or average is a plus 28. Very worried with this as maybe Martin isn't as sound defensively as I and others had hoped.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
agreed with that but.....

Pittsburg is a +49 overall for the love of God. All those names you mentioned are on teams well below that as Phoenix overall is a minus 7 and Nashville is a minus 30 which explains OEL and Weber.

Montreal is EVEN and Minnesota is a minus 3, again explains Subban and Suter.

BUT a freaking plus 49 and Martin is minus 1??? My issue is how bad that looks. You can make excuses for he plays against top players, but come on, he also plays with top players on one of the highest scoring teams in the league. There is zero excuse or reason for him to be minus.

I like Martin and have no gripes with him, I actually love to see him paired with Suter, but looking over plus/minus (which of course is a misleading stat at times and people take too seriously) it does worry me that on an offensive juggernaut the dude is a minus player while a guy like Niskanen who people said was bad or average is a plus 28. Very worried with this as maybe Martin isn't as sound defensively as I and others had hoped.

Pens have the number 1 pp and number 1 pk in the league, there plus 25 in special teams, so there only plus 24 in even strength.

You can't just judge a player by how good there plus minus is, Martin and Orpik are the pens top PK players, that doesn't show up in plus minus.

Pens bottom 6 is terrible, it literally went a month without scoring a goal, if your on the ice with Crosby or Malkin often your going to have a good plus minus, if your on the ice against the other teams top players when your own 3rd and 4th lines are on the ice your probably not going to have a good plus minus.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
I believe Jeremy Roenick just said he was surprised Martin made the team and said "maybe playing with Orpik in Pittsburgh helped."

Wrong way round Jeremy.

He also said Malkin killed penalties.

Malkin probably will kill penalties in Sochi, he has and could kill for the Pens but there is little point as they're already the best PK in the league.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
In response to...

JVR - Pavelski - Kessel
Parise - Backes - Oshie

The first lineup, definitely. Parise is not playing on the third line.

Supposedly Parise did not mesh well with Kane at the last Olympics and they are going to keep JVR and Kessel together.

I have a feeling we aren't going to see a 1st, 2nd, 3rd line but rather three lines that can score and a checking line.

KittysGotClaws

We See Red
Dec 17, 2008
N of BB&T
In response to...

JVR - Pavelski - Kessel
Parise - Backes - Oshie

Supposedly Parise did not mesh well with Kane at the last Olympics and they are going to keep JVR and Kessel together.

I have a feeling we aren't going to see a 1st, 2nd, 3rd line but rather three lines that can score and a checking line.

Don't know about that. Wasn't the whole explanation of leaving Ryan off the roster to establish a clear top six and bottom six? Obviously, this bottom six will be able to score more than your normal NHL's bottom six.

Bardof425*

Haven't been watching hockey since the Cup finals... I don't see why Cally is any better on big ice than Okposo.

Anyways, Google tells me Faulk has less points than even Erik Johnson & of course Yandle. He should probably score more and not play in Carolina so I know more about him. But hey, as long as Paul Martin and his 12 pts and -1 (on the top team in the East) are on the team Faulk will not be the worst defenseman.

Martin was hurt, Faulk is a rising star. Google???? You don't know the most widely reported things going on in the NHL. Stop posting; just read for a while and get caught up.

Czech Trio

Aug 29, 2009
Parise-Kesler-Patch
Kane-Statsny-Wheeler
JVR-Pavelski-Kessel
Brown-Backes-Oshie

Suter-McD
Carlson-Martin
Shattenkirk-Fowler

Miller
Quick

My wing/defenseman natural sides are probably mostly wrong.

U.S. needs to out skate and out hit the other teams to win. I also think keeping Parise/Kane/Kessel separated will benefit the U.S.

MNState0fHockey

Jun 14, 2012
Milwaukee, WI
Interesting Fact:

The US has never won a gold medal without a player from Warroad, MN on the team. TJ Oshie is from Warroad. We going to win the gold.

Team USA also hasn't won a Gold in Olympic play without a roster of at least roughly half the players having played Minnesota High School Hockey (1960 had 8 of 17 players, so it was slightly less than half).

I know, small sample size and times have changed (great to see players coming from all over the US instead of just a handful of areas these days), but still a fun fact.

Last edited:

MNState0fHockey

Jun 14, 2012
Milwaukee, WI
Wheeler is crazy underrated around here. If he played in a bigger market people would realize what a good player he is.

The comments about he and Okposo and being able to play on the big ice are overrated too. Both excelled on the big ice while playing for Minnesota in the WCHA (where the majority of the rinks had Olympic or close to Olympic sized ice). Different level, understood, but I don't think it effected their play in the slightest.

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009
In response to...

JVR - Pavelski - Kessel
Parise - Backes - Oshie

That is correct. Parise/Kane just didn't mesh at all and eventually Langenbrunner replaced Kane at RW on that line. Parise-Stastny-Langenbrunner clicked and when Kane and Kelser were put on the same line they had instant chemistry.

Boreal01

Nov 3, 2013
Toronto, Ontario
I see it as...

Parise - Kesler - Kane
JVR - Pavelski - Kessel
Pacioretty - Stastny - Oshie
Brown - Backes - Wheeler

Suter - Carlson
McDonagh - Shattenkirk
Fowler - Martin

Miller