Olympics: 2014 — U.S. Roster Discussion (Part VII)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
So do you think any other country will leave it's second leading scorer home, or will USA be the only ones...?

considering almost all think thornton won't make team canada, so then canada can also.

NinthSpoke06

Nov 30, 2009
Watertown, MA
Anyone ever think that the USA wasn't buying what Okposo was selling? I mean he doesn't exactly have a track record of producing at this level.

It sucks, but it's pretty clear that the guys in charge of team USA clearly took a lot of stock into recent past performance as well as current performance.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I'm more confident in this group than ever. Not the most talented. Not the deepest pool. But the best team.

I would argue

Pro

Goaltending is a strength(maybe best in tournament)
Has good depth

Con

No star power

KittysGotClaws

We See Red
Dec 17, 2008
N of BB&T
Fair enough, and I might throw Suter into the elite category as well but after those 2 guys......

Yeah, I was going to say Suter is star quality on D. I'm hoping maybe McDonagh emerges during this tournament (he's close but underrated). A guy like Kessel is a star offensively, or close. But you're right, we're nowhere near the star power of the other big nations. We're that blue collar, hard hat team for the most part.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
They should allow the better countries to ice 2 teams. If a country can have 2 figure skaters in the same category why not 2 hockey teams

I think it would be great seeing country team 1 vs country team 1 rejects

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Kessel
Kane
Suter
Miller
Quick
Parise

No star power? Bro you're making my head hurt.

I mean like elite star power, I already conceded on Kane and Suter, I am not counting goalies(and should have pointed that out) but the other 2 you mention are good but not elite.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
I mean like elite star power, I already conceded on Kane and Suter, I am not counting goalies(and should have pointed that out) but the other 2 you mention are good but not elite.

so in other words, canada and russia are the only teams with star power loooooool.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
so in other words, canada and russia are the only teams with star power loooooool.

Well to me "star power" are guys who get consideration for Hart or Norris. Depending on your feelings for the Sedins Sweden as well

NinthSpoke06

Nov 30, 2009
Watertown, MA
Guys don't even bother with boredmale, he is a jaded Sens fan who is pissed Bobby Ryan didn't make it.

Yeah, the guy in 2nd in scoring in the league off the defending cup champions isn't elite star power for him. :rolleyes

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Gord Miller with an amusing tweet over a USA hockey communication error:

fasdfasdfsadffsdaasfdfsdafasd.jpg

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nh...ells-67-old-canadian-made-234933413--nhl.html

All your fault, Kesler. :p: :laugh:

wingnutks

Nov 17, 2011
To me the bigger thing is not just that they snubbed KO, its the fact that they basically said there is no chance that they will even consider him for the future. That is some BS, and not needed. What ****ing idiot would say that about a guy that currently has the same amount of points as Ovi, with a more complete game?

The kid had an injury that got in his head. He got over it late last year. Was a beast at the end of the year, a beast in the playoffs, and is a beast now. Will he be this awesome for ever... who knows. But when we are talking about right now, what you see is what you get.

People really need to watch him play right now. He is not doing good... he is borderline "great" right now. Almost every game he looks to be on another level compared to everyone else. His strength on the puck, defense, and offense. He isnt having a Frans Neilsen type season where he is playing well, but playing within himself and his past. KO is playing up a completely different tier.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I get what they're trying to do. What I don't get is they wouldn't take Yandle because he's "sheltered" and less than ideal in his own zone....

....and then they take Shattenkirk.

His Beardliness*

It's clear to me that having NHL personel run your national team is completely Pejorative Slured and now you're stuck with Brooks Orpik on your team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad