Olympics: 2014 — U.S. Roster Discussion (Part VI)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
KO with 2 more points tonight. GWG in OT against the Blackhawks. LOLOLOL @ Team USA

I watched the third. He was absolutely dominant in the third, setting up Tavares on a few beautiful opportunities. I don't know how he didn't make the team, but I suspect he was written off before the season started. He started too far behind to get back into consideration.

Nolanitis

Feb 19, 2007
NYC
The fans in the NHL do not generally know that Okposo is a beast. He might be the best American player right now, but not good enough for the Olympic team. It is a travesty. As for who is better over the last 80 games, I take Okposo over Ryan 100 out of 100 times.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Not sure why people are saying USA will struggle to score.

This year:
Kane: 23 goals
Kessel: 20 goals
Pacioretty: 17 goals
Backes: 16 goals
Pavelski: 16 goals
Wheeler: 15 goals
JVR: 15 goals
Kesler: 15 goals
Statsny: 11 goals

So what you are saying is the US needs people who can pass the puck, Okposo is 3rd when it comes to Americans players in assists(Kane is first and Oshie has 1 more assist then Okposo)

I watched the third. He was absolutely dominant in the third, setting up Tavares on a few beautiful opportunities. I don't know how he didn't make the team, but I suspect he was written off before the season started. He started too far behind to get back into consideration.

My guess is his underwhelming play at previous international competitions didn't do him any favors

RMimagery

Jul 22, 2006
How anyone can still argue for Okposo with Ryan sitting at home is beyond me

Ask any educated Minnesota, Boston or Chicago fans who watched their game against the Islanders this week. The Isles don't win those games without Okposo in beast mode.

4 goals, 8 points in these last 3 games including the game winner in OT vs the Cup champs tonight. KO was also robbed in the final minutes of reg by Crawford who played an insane game but still lost to the suddenly hot Islanders who also beat the Wings 3-0 in Detroit last week. Oh yeah, Kyle got the game winner in that game too and has the longest point streak in the league.

How, among 14 forwards, does the 2nd best USA forward and 9th in the league not go to Sochi? I said it before, he's creating his points this season, unlike what Moulson did in his time here. He's earned it, but 99% of you haven't watched him game in and out.

I'm in my 40's, watched thousands of games in my life. Ryan should be there but the knock on him was not intense enough (Burke is an unprofessional tool). There are few players in the league more intense than Okposo.

Pacioretty, Wheeler, etc... are great players but USA will miss out on one of the hottest and hardest working guys in the NHL. Their loss.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
They BOTH should be on the team over Stepan and Brown/Callahan. If Callahan and Stepan play for Florida they would have never made the team

Stepan makes it on the basis the US is weak at Center, I get that pick. I don't get BOTH Callahan and Brown(it should be one or the other)

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Or if Okposo was on an original 6 team he would be a lock.

Please. This is ridiculous. It doesn't matter who the player's NHL team is, or where they are from, as long as they are US born and fill a need for the team.

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
I'm not an American, but I cannot see why Team USA brass would bring both Brown and Callahan when neither one is playing all that great.

Being Canadian, I understand the intangibles like leadership etc, but imo that is sometimes a little overrated. Skill still wins out and should be the final measuring stick.

If both were playing as well or better, I'd understand, but that is not the case and it makes you wonder how much homerism factored in with the decision makers.

specialized

Jan 24, 2013
Did they ever give Alex Galchenyuk A thought?

Im sure the pens fans will laugh at this but im shocked coach disco did not add Craig Adams....lol

intangible

Apr 28, 2010
Problem is you have a lot of downright losers as the most vocal people making those decisions. Burke - loser (outside of one Cup, thanks to Giguere, et al). Poile - loser. Laviolette - loser (at least recently). Waddell - loser.

Only winners in the room are Bylsma and Shero, who seemingly just wanted to bring guys they knew, like Paul effing Martin on the team, as if that makes any sense, and Orpik. And Lombardi, who simply kept making a case for Jack Johnson and Yandle, neither of which they ended up bringing on.

If you keep saying you want the "three best goalies," you don't choose Howard this season. It's as simple as that. You could make the same case for Quick this season. Why isn't Bishop there, as he has far and away the best stats of an American NHL goaltender?

As other have said, Callahan, Stepan, and Brown don't make the team if they weren't in big markets. They're all three having rather poor seasons, comparatively.

Just the good ole boys making decisions, as usual.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Problem is you have a lot of downright losers as the most vocal people making those decisions. Burke - loser (outside of one Cup, thanks to Giguere, et al). Poile - loser. Laviolette - loser (at least recently). Waddell - loser.

Only winners in the room are Bylsma and Shero, who seemingly just wanted to bring guys they knew, like Paul effing Martin on the team, as if that makes any sense, and Orpik. And Lombardi, who simply kept making a case for Jack Johnson and Yandle, neither of which they ended up bringing on.

Why shouldn't Paul Martin be on this team?

NinthSpoke06

Nov 30, 2009
Watertown, MA
I hope all the whiners and complainers here aren't jumping on the bandwagon when the USA is taking down Canada for the gold.

Also Brown and Callahan shouldn't be replaced by Ryan and Okposo because those two are going to play a specific role on the 4th line. This isn't the NHL ASG.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
As other have said, Callahan, Stepan, and Brown don't make the team if they weren't in big markets. They're all three having rather poor seasons, comparatively.

Why do people keep saying this? I can't think of an argument with less substance.

Callahan and Brown go because they have experience and fill a role in leadership, and the bottom-6 where it is obvious they intend to outwork opponents rather than out skill them. Which is usually what a good bottom 6 does.

Stepan is going because of the desire for 5 natural centers.

How many times does this have to be said? I don't even think Stepan should be there, but at least I am willing to understand and accept why he is, and it has nothing to do with, "big market teams heurheurheur."

:help:

KittysGotClaws

We See Red
Dec 17, 2008
N of BB&T
Why do people keep saying this? I can't think of an argument with less substance.

Callahan and Brown go because they have experience and fill a role in leadership, and the bottom-6 where it is obvious they intend to outwork opponents rather than out skill them. Which is usually what a good bottom 6 does.

Stepan is going because of the desire for 5 natural centers.

How many times does this have to be said? I don't even think Stepan should be there, but at least I am willing to understand and accept why he is, and it has nothing to do with, "big market teams heurheurheur."

:help:

Any chance we can pin this post to the top of every page of this thread? :laugh:

Stringer Bell

Dec 16, 2009
Who was the other player along with Pominville who was written off immediately due to not handling the larger ice surface?

drewstar

Jan 1, 2010
6ix
to be quite honest some of the omissions are shockingly bad...no ryan, yandle, okposo, and even saad?! for out of form grinders like callahan etc? because of leadership? pls.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
It's the overall best Righty on the team(even that is debatable with Shattenkirk there), but far from the best overall US dman. He is right, Martin and Orpiks are there for one reason. If they don't perform it is a big deal. If Suter-EJ had chemistry that is a pairing capable of actually shutting out these all star lines Russia, Sweden, Canada, etc. will be running.

First, I didn't say "righty." I said "right D."

Martin is the best overall "right D" team USA has. Not Shattenkirk. Not Faulk. Martin. And people want to leave him at home for Byfuglien? On what planet does that make sense?

It would be like chucking Kessel to take Saad. Even if you wanted to take Saad, you don't take him at the expense of the best wing you have on his side.

Secondly, this grouping of Martin and Orpik together as if they were some synergistic, whole-better-than-the-sum-of-its-parts-Sedins-part-2 needs to stop.

I know the national media was saying that in September, but they were wrong. The relationship between the two in Pittsburgh is that Martin does Martin's job and Martin does the majority of Orpik's job. Orpik, for his part, blocks some shots, runs people sometimes and gets walked an awful lot. That's all he brings to that pairing.

The two players are nothing alike, at complete opposite ends of the usefulness spectrum, and not being paired together on the international team, anyway.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I hope all the whiners and complainers here aren't jumping on the bandwagon when the USA is taking down Canada for the gold.

Also Brown and Callahan shouldn't be replaced by Ryan and Okposo because those two are going to play a specific role on the 4th line. This isn't the NHL ASG.

As an Islanders fan living in Canada I have absolutely no reason to want the US to do good. I will enjoy it if they tank. I would have been cheering for them if Okposo made it though

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Okposo is not a penalty killer, not a great defensive forward and in competition for Callahan's spot just about as much as Quick's spot.
Okposo isn't a good defensive forward? Weird, been seeing different things all these years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad