Olympics: 2014 — U.S. Roster Discussion (Part VI)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisHx

Aug 7, 2013
Sydney, AUS
to be quite honest some of the omissions are shockingly bad...no ryan, yandle, okposo, and even saad?! for out of form grinders like callahan etc? because of leadership? pls.

http://icenationuk.com/2014/01/03/sochi-olympics-2014-team-usa-roster-analysis-forwards/

This article gives an interesting analysis of the forwards selected, and those left off. Ryan, Okposo, Saad and even Pominville had very good cases, particularly over the likes of Callahan and Wheeler, and possibly Brown.

Team USA have selected a very odd group of forwards, not bringing all their best scorers but also not selecting top defensive forwards to make up for it.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Okposo isn't a good defensive forward? Weird, been seeing different things all these years.

Years? You know, the likes of Okposo can still make this team. Unlike Ryan, he's keeping his mouth shut and letting his play do the talking. Shoot, Ryan could still make it! Yandle too! Who knows what a month will bring?

Nolanitis

Feb 19, 2007
NYC
Don't you know? Everything is about points and bias. Has nothing to do with Yandle/Okposo/Ryan being flawed/inconsistent players.

That is if you consider Okposo flawed. Is not Callahan, Stepan, and even Kesler flawed this season?

I guess I will have to believe the "brain trust" when they state they did not take the 25 best players. Clearly they did not.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
That is if you consider Okposo flawed. Is not Callahan, Stepan, and even Kesler flawed this season?

I guess I will have to believe the "brain trust" when they state they did not take the 25 best players. Clearly they did not.

Stepan is a center. Not comparable to Okposo and all that.

Guarantee Canada doesn't take the "25best players" , either. Anyone remember MSL being left off in the midst of a 90+ point season? No? Ok.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
So do you think any other country will leave it's second leading scorer home, or will USA be the only ones...?

Nolanitis

Feb 19, 2007
NYC
Stepan is a center. Not comparable to Okposo and all that.

Guarantee Canada doesn't take the "25best players" , either. Anyone remember MSL being left off in the midst of a 90+ point season? No? Ok.

Doesn't make it right, there is just too much politics involved. I will hope that Okposo keeps the pressure on, and an injury happens or simply put I will not be too interested in the tournament.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
USA won't medal. LOL at the D they picked unless Suter - McD plays 40 mins a game.

Oh yeah. It's clear. You have never watched more than a game of Fowler, Faulk, Shattenkirk, or Martin in your life.

Let me just vouch for Fowler. He plays the toughest minutes of any player on the best team in the league and he still puts up the numbers he does. The defense is fine. And I'm willing to bet there will be more than a few "surprises" back there that really shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

What concerns me most is the build of the bottom 6 based around shutdown forechecking on big ice.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
Doesn't make it right, there is just too much politics involved. I will hope that Okposo keeps the pressure on, and an injury happens or simply put I will not be too interested in the tournament.

...and that's probably the crux of it. A lot of Islander fans (and other NHL fans) who aren't USA Hockey fans. They want what's best for their NHL team and players, not what's best for USA hockey.

KittysGotClaws

We See Red
Dec 17, 2008
N of BB&T
http://icenationuk.com/2014/01/03/sochi-olympics-2014-team-usa-roster-analysis-forwards/

This article gives an interesting analysis of the forwards selected, and those left off. Ryan, Okposo, Saad and even Pominville had very good cases, particularly over the likes of Callahan and Wheeler, and possibly Brown.

Team USA have selected a very odd group of forwards, not bringing all their best scorers but also not selecting top defensive forwards to make up for it.

That article lost all credibility when the dude said he was surprised Miller made it (he wanted Schneider or Anderson over him). Holy cow.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Oh yeah. It's clear. You have never watched more than a game of Fowler, Faulk, Shattenkirk, or Martin in your life.

Let me just vouch for Fowler. He plays the toughest minutes of any player on the best team in the league and he still puts up the numbers he does. The defense is fine. And I'm willing to bet there will be more than a few "surprises" back there that really shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

What concerns me most is the build of the bottom 6 based around shutdown forechecking on big ice.

I don't think the team will be that defined. The U.S. brass wanted flexibility and they got it. You can move most of these players up and down the lineup.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
I've read Scott Burnside's full article on how Team USA was selected and was really surprise how Pominville was concenciously left out... There were almost no discussion.

I always thought he was as good offensively than defensively and he's a pretty fast skater. Very surprised he was left off.

Andy Greene too. Wasn't even mentioned.

You talk about who would make a good utility guy that doesn't need to play, that's the guy. Brings great D and enough puck movement that he can backfill basically any role in case of injury.

Almost wonder if a couple US players quietly said they didn't want to go.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Andy Greene too. Wasn't even mentioned.

You talk about who would make a good utility guy that doesn't need to play, that's the guy. Brings great D and enough puck movement that he can backfill basically any role in case of injury.

Almost wonder if a couple US players quietly said they didn't want to go.

Not Ryan. That's for sure

Nolanitis

Feb 19, 2007
NYC
...and that's probably the crux of it. A lot of Islander fans (and other NHL fans) who aren't USA Hockey fans. They want what's best for their NHL team and players, not what's best for USA hockey.

Nah , big US hockey fan since 1980. I listened to the wjr's on my way to work today. But the issue I have is clearly (in my mind) Okposo should be on the team, he has earned the position. If he is not there, I will have a hard time watching because he belongs there over many of the other players. I will not root against them, I will simply take a hiatus from hockey and spend more time with the family.
As for what politics, there is a lot of money to be made selling Olympic jerseys, there is also a "good old boys" club making the choices.

WantonAbandon

Oct 16, 2011
Nah , big US hockey fan since 1980. I listened to the wjr's on my way to work today. But the issue I have is clearly (in my mind) Okposo should be on the team, he has earned the position. If he is not there, I will have a hard time watching because he belongs there over many of the other players. I will not root against them, I will simply take a hiatus from hockey and spend more time with the family.
As for what politics, there is a lot of money to be made selling Olympic jerseys, there is also a "good old boys" club making the choices.

I don't think Okposo is a clear upgrade over Wheeler

Oct 18, 2011
wait people think our defense is an issue? besides the orpik inclusion it's a strong group. almost all of our guys are strong two way players that can SKATE

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Stastny hasn't been good in years and wheeler is mediocre at best. Good luck to pacioretty

Wheeler had a 64pt season in 11-12, 41pts last year and is on pace for 60+ again this year.

But yeah. "Mediocre at best". Okposo probably should have gotten in over him, but please, no need post hyperbolic crap to try and prove your point.

NinthSpoke06

Nov 30, 2009
Watertown, MA
As an Islanders fan living in Canada I have absolutely no reason to want the US to do good. I will enjoy it if they tank. I would have been cheering for them if Okposo made it though

We don't want you cheering for us. So continue on.

I'll enjoy it much more knowing how many people will be fuming once the USA shocks everyone and wins the gold.

I'm more confident in this group than ever. Not the most talented. Not the deepest pool. But the best team.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Yzerman: "From my last experience, it was easy up until you name the team. Then you have to sit there for five weeks until the Olympics and hold your breath and listen to everyone tell you how stupid you were for leaving this guy or that guy off"

I saw this in the Canada thread, i thought it was fitting to put it in here since its basically whats happening with Polie right now.

NinthSpoke06

Nov 30, 2009
Watertown, MA
Worst part about this whole thread is that Blake Wheeler is being trashed for no reason. He is a really good hockey player and a great fit for this team.

He doesn't deserve all the garbage people are saying about him because their favorite player got left off. It's pathetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad