Olympics: 2014 — U.S. Roster Discussion (Part V)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
Was their this type of uproar 4 years ago. Just curious?

Chris Drury was widely panned as a terrible pick and I think Mike Komisarek was a bit of a head scratcher (for good reason).

The truth is, I think that there simply were not as many really talented American forwards and defenders to leave off the roster. When Paul Martin was sent home, they replaced him with Ryan Whitney, who Ron Wilson didn't even bother using. Whitney was pretty bad that year, dealing his foot issues, but nobody really threw up a fuss because there wasn't much alternative. Kyle Okposo was the first alternate forward at the time. He finished the year with 19 goals and 50 points. Not exactly numbers that were screaming for inclusion. By comparison he's got like 40 now half way through the season.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I think it's clear that one of the reasons Orpik made the team is to be a veteran presence for what is a pretty young blueline. Will he play a ton? Probably not.

sjci

Feb 13, 2007
Buffalo
Poile has to be the most idiotic guy in all of American hockey. I'm half way through the ESPN article, and I'm getting more and more pissed at him. We'll be lucky to pull out a Bronze Medal now. ****ing joke

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Poile has to be the most idiotic guy in all of American hockey. I'm half way through the ESPN article, and I'm getting more and more pissed at him. We'll be lucky to pull out a Bronze Medal now. ****ing joke

Why? In any event it's clear Poile is satisfied in his choices and that is fine with me.

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
Okay with Martin.
Orpik:help:

Watched Bobby Ryan a lot here in Anaheim.
He can play either wing, and in his time in Anaheim
was a guy that played with different players all the time.

Poile :huh:

Butcher

Dec 7, 2013
I think it's clear that one of the reasons Orpik made the team is to be a veteran presence for what is a pretty young blueline. Will he play a ton? Probably not.

I don't think that is clear at all. Suter and Martin are easily considered veterans as well, and neither of the two players most would like to see replacing him (Yandle or EJ) are rookies either.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I don't think that is clear at all. Suter and Martin are easily considered veterans as well, and neither of the two players most would like to see replacing him (Yandle or EJ) are rookies either.

Read the article. Orpik 's role is pretty clear. If he's playing more than 3rd pairing minutes along with the PK I'll be surprised.

Kakko

Formerly Chytil
Mar 23, 2011
Long Island
Stepan almost surely benefited from all four of the other centers being excellent defensive forwards.

The brass probably felt it'd be more beneficial to have an offensive option over a relatively redundant forward like Brandon Dubinsky.

?

Stepan is a defensive player too

Butcher

Dec 7, 2013
Read the article. Orpik 's role is pretty clear. If he's playing more than 3rd pairing minutes along with the PK I'll be surprised.

I read the article, it barely mentions Orpik's name. IIRC, it was a brief mention that he was a lock before the serious player discussion started (his inclusion at the coaches' instistence) and that near the end his name had been moved down a rung. That was about it.

BlueShirts702

Mar 28, 2008
City of Sin
Then you don't watch him enough. He's an excellent playmaker as a center and plays selke caliber defense which will probably be crucial since his likely linemates aren't exactly known for their defensive prowess. He's also one of the best faceoff men USA has. I'd be more worried about some of the more questionable selections like Orpik, Callahan, Brown, Stepan, etc getting too much ice time because Bylsma is an idiot.

Brown - Backes - Callahan?

Sure they can go out there and enjoy the show as the other teams skate circles around them. Obviously Team USA felt the need to bring the likes of Brown and Callahan for some unknown intangible quality. But no need to compound that problem by putting them on the same line and creating a bigger liability.

I think that a line of Brown, Backes, Callahan is going to cause lots of problems for teams in this tournament. All three of those players can get after it and play a very, very solid two way game.

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
Even as a Rangers fan, I'm a bit surprised Stepan made it. He's been okay, but not having the full-on breakout year as everyone expected.

I feel like Ryan might've been a better choice over Oshie, as he's one of the few solid scorers we have, though I do understand why he was selected.

Also somewhat surprising--Cally given his season full of injuries. Hopefully he'll be good to go at a high level of play in time for the Olympics.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I read the article, it barely mentions Orpik's name. IIRC, it was a brief mention that he was a lock before the serious player discussion started (his inclusion at the coaches' instistence) and that near the end his name had been moved down a rung. That was about it.

Fair enough. I think he's clearly a 7th/8th guy.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
I think that a line of Brown, Backes, Callahan is going to cause lots of problems for teams in this tournament. All three of those players can get after it and play a very, very solid two way game.

that line is going to be hell for other teams, especially some of the softer euro bottom 6s

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
I know lots of fans seem to overvalue there own players for these international teams, and its going to seem like im doing the same thing, but im telling you guys Martin is really good, hes been by far our best def for the last 2 years, was great in the playoffs last year.

After reading Burnside article it looks like Suter will be paired with Martin, its going to be a really good def pairing probably playing between 25-30 mins a game.

I have no problem with Martin, I considered him and lock and he should be.

Orpik on the other hand..

Avelanche

#freeRedmond
Jun 11, 2011
Boston
They must be going for chemistry. As long as it pays off. I can't rap my head around most of those guys over E. Johnson. No J. Johnson is understandable but I still think his raw talent is better then most of the choices. No Yandle just makes me sad.

ak61driver

Dec 9, 2008
USA will be lucky to medal with Blysma

Have you looked at Pittsburghs record?

Blysma is a terrible choice for coach - he has little respect in the NHL, considering the talent they have.
No Erik Johnson, or Keith Yandle ?

Cannot believe he is the best choice for head coach in the Olympics

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Blysma is a terrible choice for coach - he has little respect in the NHL, considering the talent they have.
No Erik Johnson, or Keith Yandle ?

Cannot believe he is the best choice for head coach in the Olympics

but he gets nominated for the Jack Adams so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig