Olympics: 2014 — U.S. Roster Discussion (Part V)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
My guess on the lineup:

Goaltenders:

Quick
Miller
Howard

D-men:

Suter-Martin
McDonagh-Faulk
Carlson-Fowler
Orpik-Shattenkirk

Forwards:

Pacioretty-Kesler-Kane
Wheeler-Stastny-Parise
JVR-Pavelski-Kessel
Brown-Backes-Callahan
Oshie-Stepan

Last edited:

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
So with a playing roster size of 20 skaters and 2 goalies, which players will find themselves in the press box watching the action?

KittysGotClaws

We See Red
Dec 17, 2008
N of BB&T
With all the (rightful) complaining about Orpik, I was glad to read the part of the article that said he dropped a rung outside of the top six. He may not end up even playing.

Now it's time to hold your breath and hope people stay/get healthy. Mainly concerned about Parise's foot, followed by Backes' head.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
Parise(C)-Kesler-Kane
JVR-Pavelski-Kessel
Pacioretty-Stastny-Wheeler
Brown(A)-Backes-Callahan
Stepan/Oshie

Suter(A)-Carlson
McDonagh-Shattenkirk
Martin-Faulk
Fowler/Orpik

Miller
Quick
Howard

Miller and Quick are close, but I'd start with Miller. Hope Parise will be good to go. Still a good team, feel it could be a lot better with Ryan and/or Yandle, but what are you going to do... It's done.

Mehar

Apr 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I'm pretty sure Poile just assumed Ryan was canadian

David Poile was born and raised in Toronto as well (LOL). At worse, Ryan should have been the 14th forward on this team. Overall, the Canadian Poile did a fairly decent job assembling this US team. I like the speed, skill and versatility of this team. My Darkhorse pick for Gold especially with Quick and Miller in Goal.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Parise is easily a top 6 if not top 3 guy so no way he'd be on the third line.

Don't get worked up over the "order" of lines. I expect all four lines to get roughly the same ES minutes. Parise is 100% gonna be on the top PP unit though, and that's where he'll get his "extra" minutes.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Gord Miller ‏@GMillerTSN
Before announcing the roster for the Olympic Team, USA Hockey sent text messages to players in the mix saying they would be contacted...

Gord Miller ‏@GMillerTSN
...but Ryan Kesler had changed his #. The guy who has it now said "I'm a 67 year old Canadian in Vancouver, I'd be happy to play for you."

I can't believe they took Orpik over this guy. :shakehead

:sarcasm:

Stopsight

Oct 9, 2013
Hawaii
So basically Saad was the last forward cut and it came down to him vs Oshie and they took Oshie cause he has a good shootout move. LOL, great reasoning USA hockey! Take the inferior player cause he does one thing better and that one thing isn't even needed in most games.

Oshie is better than Saad even without including shootouts. He's better offensively, he's better defensively, and he plays much harder competition. Then you throw in his shootout prowess and chemistry with Backes and you wonder why Saad vs. Oshie is even a question.

Sorry, Saad is a good player but complaining about this is just dumb.

Dec 10, 2008
NoDak now NYC area
4 years of developing into better players may change that, plus they'll have a different center undoubtedly. I think part of the reason they are also being slotted on the same line is people don't want to break up JvR and Kessel. To put Parise and Kane on different lines while keeping the Toronto duo together:

Pacioretty-Kesler-Kane
Parise-Pavelski-Wheeler (or Stepan-Pavelski)
JvR-Stastny-Kessel
Brown-Backes-Callahan/Oshie

That actually looks decent to me...I should amend my earlier post about Wheeler not getting an impact role, he'd be a great fit on that line IMO.

2010 Parise is far superior to the 2014 Parise and there's nothing that suggests they'd fit together at this point and time. Will they try it? Possibly, but I don't think it'd last long. Parise playing next to Stastny or Pavs with Wheeler on the opposite wing like you listed is ideal. They'd dominate the cycle...

Anyways, I like the lines you posted, not much tweaking to be done...

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
I'm happy that Oshie and Faulk made it in. Those were two guys that I was really hoping would make it in.

MildlyAwesome

Rational Leaf Fan
Jun 4, 2009
Canada
Oshie is better than Saad even without including shootouts. He's better offensively, he's better defensively, and he plays much harder competition. Then you throw in his shootout prowess and chemistry with Backes and you wonder why Saad vs. Oshie is even a question.

Sorry, Saad is a good player but complaining about this is just dumb.

Agreed. Saad isn't as good defensively as Oshie. Thats why Ryan and Yandle didn't make the team.

Ryan isn't as speedy and isn't as wellbalanced (per LeBrun on why he didnt make the team).

Yandle didn't make it because coaches had reservations of him defensively. Same with Jack Johnson.

Would I have taken Ryan and Yandle? Probably. But I find it funny - that these are some of the best hockey minds in the game and they scout a ton and somehow they are complete morons.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Sidenote from that ESPN article: Anyone else find it telling how some of the other GMs like Burke reacted to Lombardi creating a hugely detailed dossier on the bubble d-men?

Like they were shocked and amused that anyone would put that much effort into assessing a player, and actually write it down to be read by others. Pretty crazy how much "old school" anti-analytical attitudes are still present among the highest decision makers in hockey. I have no doubt that to Burke, assessing a player is nothing more than the eye test plus their gut feeling.

Yup, after reading this it pretty much solidified that I hate Brian Burke and his "reasoning" for team building. Godspeed, Calgary.

That being said, this is what we got and it's time to get behind this team and go to war. They have several strengths and the big question will be whether or not this team will be cut out for big ice play.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
The one part of that article that I found hilarious was all the talk of dreams figuring into their decision making process.

bigbadbruins7

Dec 18, 2011
CT
The one part of that article that I found hilarious was all the talk of dreams figuring into their decision making process.

Yeah i thought that part of the article was strange. Like how could you even think about having a dream impact the selection process. Article was very interesting to see the breakdown

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
I know lots of fans seem to overvalue there own players for these international teams, and its going to seem like im doing the same thing, but im telling you guys Martin is really good, hes been by far our best def for the last 2 years, was great in the playoffs last year.

After reading Burnside article it looks like Suter will be paired with Martin, its going to be a really good def pairing probably playing between 25-30 mins a game.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
A lot of complaining about Stepan

I am guessing the logic behind Stephan is you want 5 centers and it's not really a position of strength for the US. I get why he was picked for that reason. To me only one of Callahan or Brown should have been picked but not both

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
I am guessing the logic behind Stephan is you want 5 centers and it's not really a position of strength for the US. I get why he was picked for that reason. To me only one of Callahan or Brown should have been picked but not both

Stepan almost surely benefited from all four of the other centers being excellent defensive forwards.

The brass probably felt it'd be more beneficial to have an offensive option over a relatively redundant forward like Brandon Dubinsky.

Dec 10, 2008
NoDak now NYC area
Was their this type of uproar 4 years ago. Just curious?

On this board? I don't recall it being anywhere near this bad. But we also need to remember that the quality of competition has increased exponentially. There are some damn good Americans who will be sitting at home during the Olympics...but this is a good problem to have.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
Man, you just know some of these guys were taken because of the Bylsma factor. He loves his grinders, watch the likes of Brown and Callahan get more minutes than Kane.

Except that Bylsma is the one who was pushing for Bobby Ryan. Last I heard he wasn't a grinder?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad