Olympics: 2014 — U.S. Roster Discussion (Part V)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sjci

Feb 13, 2007
Buffalo
Am I reading this right that they all still think Quick should be the starter? Are they ****ing serious? God, I hate team USA management

Ducks Nation*

Mar 19, 2013
Am I reading this right that they all still think Quick should be the starter? Are they ****ing serious? God, I hate team USA management

:cry:

Every single backup quicks had the last couple years (bernier, jones, scrivens) have had better stats than him....he is a system goalie that is severely overrated. Miller better be the starter.

LittleKev6D9

Unregistered User
Dec 14, 2011
Middletown
We all know Bobby Ryan deserved a spot. Astonishing he's not on it. Like I legitimately have no idea why he isn't on the team. There's a lot of guys I would throw away for Bobby Ryan.

I thought EJ should have made it too. Yandle was surprising as well. Everyone else was talked about so no surprises after that.

Ogelthorpe

Who do you play for?
Jul 21, 2010
Blysma is a terrible choice for coach - he has little respect in the NHL, considering the talent they have.
No Erik Johnson, or Keith Yandle ?

Cannot believe he is the best choice for head coach in the Olympics

huh? I guess you didn't read the article where he was voted by the players as the coach they'd most want to play for, and also voted as the smartest coach.....Oh, and that little Jack Adams award.......Yeah, he gets plenty of respect in the NHL.

Bullseyes

Aug 16, 2013
Even as a Rangers fan, I'm a bit surprised Stepan made it. He's been okay, but not having the full-on breakout year as everyone expected.

I feel like Ryan might've been a better choice over Oshie, as he's one of the few solid scorers we have, though I do understand why he was selected.

Also somewhat surprising--Cally given his season full of injuries. Hopefully he'll be good to go at a high level of play in time for the Olympics.

I actually understand Stepan over Callahan. For people questioning Stepan, I get it, I didn't think he should make the team. But he's a center which helps and he's very good defensively (better than Callahan).

Callahan, OTOH, I didn't think should make the team at all. Honestly, I would have a bigger problem with that than Stepan.

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
Fair enough. I think he's clearly a 7th/8th guy.

Read the article. Orpik 's role is pretty clear. If he's playing more than 3rd pairing minutes along with the PK I'll be surprised.

Yes, that's what I inferred from it as well.

Also, as I expected and predicted countless times, Suter-Martin is going to be the #1 pair. Should be solid.

The amount of freaking out is a little over-the-top. There's hand-wringing about no Okposo? Really? Yeah, I would've picked Ryan over Brown, but they weren't competing for the same spot unfortunately.

I hope Callahan is 100% by the time the Olympics start. Hopefully he has a switch he can flip.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
so no Ryan or Yandle. Yes Orpik. Miller not starting. McDonagh not in the top 6. My god they are serious about the whole right players not the best thing. are they really expecting Quick to pull a Jim Craig? i feel bad for pens and preds fans now.

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
Burnside article seems to show that Trouba and Dekeyser were dismissed as too young, can't handle the pressure, but Jones at one point was going to actually make the team, when he couldn't even handle MacKinnon.

sjci

Feb 13, 2007
Buffalo
:cry:

Every single backup quicks had the last couple years (bernier, jones, scrivens) have had better stats than him....he is a system goalie that is severely overrated. Miller better be the starter.

they think theyre ****ing Herb Brooks :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

It's ridiculous, really laughable. Quick is a good goalie, not denying that, but he has shown nothing this year while his back and his backups backup have heavily outperformed him, while Miller has been putting up phenomenal numbers behind the absolute worst defense. Hopefully Bylsma ignores what the idiotic management thinks and puts Miller as the starter.

Nash

Jul 23, 2004
Vancouver
Reading that ESPN article, there really in no reason given why certain players were locks before the roster was being rounded out. Lots of the locks have not had great seasons. I'm just confused as to why they seem free from scrutiny vs the remaining selections.

I understand Canada naming an injured Stamkos in hope he can get close to game shape by the start of the tournament, but what makes Callahan a lock given both his injuries and performance this year. Brown puzzles me too. He's been dropped down the depth chart in LA this year. Is he really an effective big ice player?

The worst exclusion is Yandle. He isn't just a good offensive player. Over the past 4 years, he's been exceptional and until this season, I wouldn't call Phoenix an offense driven team. Tippett is a pretty demanding coach and expects his players to play both ends of the rink. It's hard to imagine that at a minimum Yandle couldn't play third pairing and top PP. Citing Pavelski as a PP QB on the point as a reason for exclusion is bizarre. I like Joe, but he isn't exactly the main cog of San Jose's powerplay and the penalty killers he will face coming in on him short handed as a D are among the best players in the world.

I do like how the brain trust identified their strengths and weaknesses and attempted to build around them. The whole reasoning behind the D selection seems focussed strongly on moving the puck to the forwards as quick as possible.

The biggest concern for USA is going to be coaching. I've watched enough Penguins games to know and agree with many Pens fans that Bylsma is a terribly overrated coach. He loves his grinders, is very stubborn with playing his favorites, and cannot make adjustments in game. His one go to move his entire tenure is to load up Crosby, Malkin and 1 more when things aren't going well. That's all he has. It does actually work at times as they are two of the best, and they have some chemistry after years on the powerplay together. I think many people will have a very different view of Bylsma once this tournament is over.

Ducks Nation*

Mar 19, 2013
I would like to see Quick in Buffalo with the same defense and system...He has a .905 save % and had a .902 save % the year before....he would get LIT up in Buff

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Reading that ESPN article, there really in no reason given why certain players were locks before the roster was being rounded out. Lots of the locks have not had great seasons. I'm just confused as to why they seem free from scrutiny vs the remaining selections.

I understand Canada naming an injured Stamkos in hope he can get close to game shape by the start of the tournament, but what makes Callahan a lock given both his injuries and performance this year. Brown puzzles me too. He's been dropped down the depth chart in LA this year. Is he really an effective big ice player?

The worst exclusion is Yandle. He isn't just a good offensive player. Over the past 4 years, he's been exceptional and until this season, I wouldn't call Phoenix an offense driven team. Tippett is a pretty demanding coach and expects his players to play both ends of the rink. It's hard to imagine that at a minimum Yandle couldn't play third pairing and top PP. Citing Pavelski as a PP QB on the point as a reason for exclusion is bizarre. I like Joe, but he isn't exactly the main cog of San Jose's powerplay and the penalty killers he will face coming in on him short handed as a D are among the best players in the world.

I do like how the brain trust identified their strengths and weaknesses and attempted to build around them. The whole reasoning behind the D selection seems focussed strongly on moving the puck to the forwards as quick as possible.

The biggest concern for USA is going to be coaching. I've watched enough Penguins games to know and agree with many Pens fans that Bylsma is a terribly overrated coach. He loves his grinders, is very stubborn with playing his favorites, and cannot make adjustments in game. His one go to move his entire tenure is to load up Crosby, Malkin and 1 more when things aren't going well. That's all he has. It does actually work at times as they are two of the best, and they have some chemistry after years on the powerplay together. I think many people will have a very different view of Bylsma once this tournament is over.

The same things were said of Ron Wilson. Let's not pretend guys like Mike Babcock don't play the same games.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
Bit surprised by some of these selections. I really would've thought Ryan, Yandle, and J .Johnson would've made it. I would've switched Ryan with either Oshie or JVR then Yandle and J. J for Orpik and Fowler.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
Burnside article seems to show that Trouba and Dekeyser were dismissed as too young, can't handle the pressure, but Jones at one point was going to actually make the team, when he couldn't even handle MacKinnon.

Jones handle players far superior to MacKinnon early this year, which is precisely why he was being considered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad