Olympics: 2014 — Finland Roster Discussion (Part III) (Released, post #1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

obv

Jan 25, 2014
Imaginationland
Yes, I think Aaltonen was offered a 2-way contract which he refused to take. According to some reports he wanted a 1-way deal with a contending team and a guaranteed spot in the top 6. JMA himself said the deal fell through because someone had given bad references.
I remember reading the biggest problem was that Metallurg? owns/owned his rights/contract and didn't want to release him to play in the NHL+ the bad references by probably them

Erikfromfin

May 18, 2013
Regarding Aaltonen i dont know what the situation was with Dallas but i also think they didnt want him after Nichuskin dropped to theyre lap at 10th draft pick. If this wasnt the case then we just might have seen Aaltonen in NHL. But having Nichuskin and other youngster Chiasson there was really no need to sign Juhamatti.

Regarding YLE studio its fine. I dont agree with Juhani Tamminen all comments but every tournament needs Tami in the studio. He is simply primus number 1.

Erikfromfin

May 18, 2013
I know most of you guys are Määttä fanboys but its time we start praising Vatanen as a unit! Outstanding defensman.

loudis

Dec 21, 2012
Finland
Great effort from Team Finland. We played great defensively, and had chances to end that game.

All of our D's were great, especially Vatanen, Väänänen.

Only thing is that our 1st line doesn't work. Immonen kills it's offence, but was solid at defence.

That 1st unit needs someone else so we can get everything out of MG-Selänne

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
No Koivu, no Filppula, no Barkov... omg we're so going to lose. Cänädä has Crosby, Nash, who else... it's gonna be a per C rice cows!

Run, little chickens... run.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Too bad Rask left in two softies. Canada didn't have that much grade A scoring changes.

Erikfromfin

May 18, 2013
quick ratings again

+++++ Sami Vatanen - By far Finlands best player in tournament. Simply Outstanding
++++ Antti Pihlström - Energetic, Agressive and Physica. Earned his olympic spot
+++ Tuukka Rask - Series of outstanding saves but was shaky in 1st period
++ Teemu Selänne - Vintage Teemu. Captains performance
+ Tuomo Ruutu - Legs might not be there but the spirit is stronger than ever

----- Mikael Granlund - Physically outplayed. Bad game
---- Juhamatti Aaltonen - Got his 1 chance and failed, typical Aaltonen
--- Jarkko Immonen - Hardest matchup and maybe unfair to criticise. Hanged up barely
-- Sami Salo - Struggled first 30 minutes with Olli, improved towards end
- Olli Määttä - Struggled first 30 minutes with Sami, improved towards end

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
Rask was great, the offense was mostly MIA. The faceoff % did not get any better, as was to be expected. The last of our faceoff skill left the building with Barkov.

Hietanen sucked, but otherwise the D was actually decent in this game.

If we were to lose though, I wish we'd done it in regulation. Now Sweden got the easiest QF opponent. :shakehead Why did we have to help them? We didn't help ourselves, only them because we'd still have gotten the winner of Russia/Norway anyway.

I bet at least one of our players will get hurt in the QF if it looks like we're winning. The Russians wouldn't be able to stand it.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
If we were to lose though, I wish we'd done it in regulation. Now Sweden got the easiest QF opponent. :shakehead Why did we have to help them? We didn't help ourselves, only them because we'd still have gotten the winner of Russia/Norway anyway.
It's not wholly the same. Now we got Sweden in the same bracket as us.

If we make it through Russia, I rather take my chances with Sweden in the semis than Canada again.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
It's not wholly the same. Now we got Sweden in the same bracket than us.

If we make it through Russia, I rather take my chances with Sweden in the semis than Canada again.

I predicted Canada wouldn't medal in this tournament and that's still highly possible. The big ice just isn't for them. I would rather play them again than the Swedes, although now without Zetterberg & Sedin they're not as dangerous as they could be.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
quick ratings again

+++++ Sami Vatanen - By far Finlands best player in tournament. Simply Outstanding
++++ Antti Pihlström - Energetic, Agressive and Physica. Earned his olympic spot

--- Jarkko Immonen - Hardest matchup and maybe unfair to criticise. Hanged up barely

Bad ratings. Kontiola should be ------------------------------------- <-- that long minus. He sucks balls.

Also disagree on Aaltonen.

Agree on all plusses, but add Väänänen, he was great. He stopped Canada scoring multiple times and had assist with great shot on goal.

loudis

Dec 21, 2012
Finland
quick ratings again

JMA was good so wtf? Nothing special but at times, got it going with Kontiola, only mistake he did was pass the puck to Korpikoski who mishandled it two times and blew good chances.

Immonen can't handle it at offensive zone between MG-Selänne, just simply out of their league, but his role is to be more defensive, and he was solid at own end.

YARR123

Oct 30, 2010
I'd say Kukkonen and Väänänen should've earned some +'s. Guys played really solid and physical, especially in the 3rd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad