Olympics: 2014 — Finland Roster Discussion (Part III) (Released, post #1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snowsii

Jan 6, 2014
Those stats will change. Ive seen Barkov loose 10 or so out of 11 Faceoffs against Backes, Stamkos and co in NHL. Even Barkov said himself when he played against winnipeg and olli Jokinen he lost every faceoff. To call it superloss loosing best faceoff guy against austria and norway is long way from superloss:) relax man Mikko Koivu , Filppula and co are far more shocking losses. Barkov is future but need to relax now and have faith in the remaining squad.

Well yeah, nothing to worry about but Kontiola were only one with 50% FO @ Norway game, Everyone else lost more thant won.. So what do you think will happen us against those you mentioned?

Erikfromfin

May 18, 2013
Well yeah, nothing to worry about but Kontiola were only one with 50% FO @ Norway game, Everyone else lost more thant won.. So what do you think will happen us against those you mentioned?

I expect them to improve in that area.

Snowsii

Jan 6, 2014

Im hoping that also..

Im not saying losing Barkov is death blow to Finland, but were going to miss him. (Protecting puck in corners, faceoffs and takeaways)

Well, maybe we see immonen @ first line then.

rduck1

Dec 26, 2013
Finland
So we're now missing 4 top centermen... Great.

I think Immonen would fit best on the first line. He's a smart player and good finisher, plus he has familiarity with Granlund as well. I'd say OJ line would take the 1st line designation as far as minutes go in that case though. Another option is MG at center with someone else coming in at LW, but that would affect more lines and I don't like that idea now that they all seem to be clicking.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Granlund - Immonen - Selänne
Korpikoski - Olli Jokinen- Ruutu
Aaltonen - J. Jokinen - Komarov
Pihlström - Kontiola - Lehterä

Putting worst players that we must include in 4th line makes the offensive teamlook pretty good. And even 4th line ain't that bad.

Erikfromfin

May 18, 2013
Jussi Jokinen - Mikael Granlund - Teemu Selänne
Lauri Korpikoski - Olli Jokinen - Tuomo Ruutu
Jori Lehterä - Petri Kontiola - Juhamatti Aaltonen
Leo Komarov - Jarkko Immonen - Antti Pihlström
Sakari Salminen

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012

OJ isn't a good faceoff guy, never has been. Lehterä and Kontiola are likely not able to win a lot of faceoffs against tough teams. Immonen is probably our most reliable faceoff center and that's scary. This truly looks like a typical WC team where Mikko has been replaced with OJ and that's a bad tradeoff.

Depch

Aug 27, 2006
Delete account
Sakari Salminen

It has to be this one. Granlund is ok in defensive game as well, he needs to move to C and I'm not comfortable having 3/4 centers from Europe in vs best the nhl can offer.

+ would prolly change the bottom 2 a bit

Last edited:

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
Scandinavia is cursed

Pitkänen
Koivu
Koivu
Franzén
Sedin
Filppula
Zetterberg
Barkov

Btw, swedish or finish team hurt the most?

Even thought those swedes are individually more talented, their impact on the team overall ain't quite the same as these injuries are for us finns.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Sakari Salminen

3rd line is horrible, would be completely useless line.. But MG to the center isn't a move outside of consideration in this case.

Kulleroinen*

Sakari Salminen

Well... that is not totally horrible, considering we are missing 4 centers.

Kibe

Regular User
Jan 17, 2012
Helsinki
At this point I think it's kind off a no brainer to move Granlund to middle.
I'd roll the lines like this:

J.Jokinen - Granlund - Selänne
Korpikoski - O.Jokinen - Ruutu
Pihlström - Kontiola - Aaltonen
Komarov - Immonen - Lehterä

If Konna-JMA Magic doesnt work at this level then in quarter's
(or what ever game is after Canada game) It would be fun to see

Pihlström - Kontiola - Salminen

Think about the speed of that line.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Granlund is solid in the faceoff circle and plays well defensively too. He's a much better Center than Winger, so at least the Finns would be utilizing his skill better with him in the middle imo.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
Zuccarello said he was more impressed by Finland than Canada.

Canada had no idea how to play big ice hockey for most of that game. It may have proved difficult for them to beat a team like Switzerland with the way they played in that game. It was funny seeing them not using the extra space at all. I wouldn't put any weight on what Zuccarello said.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Sakari Salminen

You forgot to include source: Jortikka. Admit :P.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
This truly looks like a typical WC team where Mikko has been replaced with OJ and that's a bad tradeoff.
At least defense and goalies are still miles better.

I believe Erkka and co. will want to go with as little changes as possible. So from the last game, they'll simply put one of Immonen - Lehterä in Barkov's stead, other one at 4C, replace Salminen with Aaltonen and call it a lineup.

Lennu32

Oct 4, 2011
gw-perjantai2.gif

Pretty much this :laugh:

iDangleDangle

We Like Our Team
Jan 2, 2014
A bar
This truly looks like a typical WC team where Mikko has been replaced with OJ and that's a bad tradeoff.

Quoted for truth.

People are really downplaying Barkov's importance here. He was an essential part not only because of his excellent 2-way play but his creativity, vision, board play and transition game in the neutral zone. Without him Finland lost a great deal of their puck possession game. Immonen possesses none of the aforementioned attributes (aside from decent 2-way game), and putting him or Lehterä in the 1st line would be a huge liability. I can already see the Crosby's and Datsyuk's mandhandling our euro stars shift after shift :help: Looking good on limited minutes with the easiest match ups against such hockey giants like Austria and Norway doesn't suddenly make them Barkov's equals.

This is how I would roll with current, sad situation of our roster:

Korpedo - MG - Selänne
JJ - OJ - Lehterä
Komarov - Kontiola - Ruutu (the shutdown line, albeit not a good one but the best we can afford without risking the offense of the top 6)
Pihlström - Immonen - Salminen (the leftovers playing as limited minutes as possible)

We don't have enough quality players for three scoring lines anymore, hence putting all of our best talent in the top 6 and assembling a some sort of shutdown line around Konna.

Worst olympic lineup since...?

rduck1

Dec 26, 2013
Finland
At least defense and goalies are still miles better.

I believe Erkka and co. will want to go with as little changes as possible. So from the last game, they'll simply put one of Immonen - Lehterä in Barkov's stead, other one at 4C, replace Salminen with Aaltonen and call it a lineup.

This seems like the most sensible solution to me as well. 2nd line was working well against Norway, while the 3rd had some good looks against Austria. Komarov-Lehterä-Pihlström was a good unit in the Norway game as well. I don't like the idea of breaking those up just to stack the top line when you can just plug a player into Barkov's spot.

Snowsii

Jan 6, 2014
Quoted for truth.

People are really downplaying Barkov's importance here. He was an essential part not only because of his excellent 2-way play but his creativity, vision, board play and transition game in the neutral zone. Without him Finland lost a great deal of their puck possession game. Immonen possesses none of the aforementioned attributes (aside from decent 2-way game), and putting him or Lehterä in the 1st line would be a huge liability. I can already see the Crosby's and Datsyuk's mandhandling our euro stars shift after shift :help: Looking good on limited minutes with the easiest match ups against such hockey giants like Austria and Norway doesn't suddenly make them Barkov's equals.

This is how I would roll with current, sad situation of our roster:

Korpedo - MG - Selänne
JJ - OJ - Lehterä
Komarov - Kontiola - Ruutu (the shutdown line, albeit not a good one but the best we can afford without risking the offense of the top 6)
Pihlström - Immonen - Salminen (the leftovers playing as limited minutes as possible)

We don't have enough quality players for three scoring lines anymore, hence putting all of our best talent in the top 6 and assembling a some sort of shutdown line around Konna.

Worst olympic lineup since...?

IMO Immonen is better than lehterä, So either;

MG - Immonen - Selänne

JJ - OJ - Korpikoski

or

JJ - MG - Selänne

Korpikoski - OJ - Ruutu

dont go to 3rd and 4th lines, but either way: Salminen is eating popcorns.

Raimo Sillanpää

Mar 11, 2003
Espoo, Finland
I think Jortikka's lines are it. Second line seems to work, so we must gamble that its set. Jussi Jokinen is wasted on a non- working 3rd line, so give him more time, 1st line duty and mig to center.

This way hopefully our first line doesnt weaken much, if we get more from JJ in return, if 2nd line is set then we have our top 6 and goalies that we gamble on..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig