Olympics: 2014 — Canada Roster Discussion (Part XXI)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
On PK it seems people are entrenched in their positions. Fact is he's the reigning winner of the NHL trophy recognizing the defenceman with "greatest all-round ability in the position." Some cite "chemistry" some cite "chromaticity" for his absence. In either case it's down to Babcock.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
On PK it seems people are entrenched in their positions. Fact is he's the reigning winner of the NHL trophy recognizing the defenceman with "greatest all-round ability in the position." Some cite "chemistry" some cite "chromaticity" for his absence. In either case it's down to Babcock.

The ONLY mistake I have witnessed with Babcock is an insistence on gift wrapping ice time for Kunitz, I have NO issues with the D

Apr 1, 2006
Montreal
can`t believe were still yakking about PK on here, the guy is an excellent D-man, but one who was chosen out of concern of getting any output from the defense position which was a huge issue in the two Olympics past since the NHL players were allowed to play that were on Olympic surfaces.

Clearly getting production from the D isn`t an issue, I`m really lost as to how or why so many here cannot see that???

And of the 8 available D-men, Norris trophy aside, Subban is the one that I wouldn`t trust to make the safest play when necessary, I can see him being the guy back there who would force a play rather than take what`s given to him, and I`m guessing the coaching staff feels the same

I can't either, but as long as people who don't watch him play, don't know anything about his overall capabilities and make posts just to "fit in" with the PK haters crowd (seems like the cool thing to do right now), those who are pro PK will feel the need to defend him. Just like I'm doing right now. But I agree it's been beaten to death.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
The matchup with USA should be good. It's unfortunate for Canada that USA has last change. If they match up Backes and Suter/McDonagh against Crosby, I expect that they will do a good job in keeping him quiet (both given his tournament thus far, his wingers and the American personnel). After that the match ups become pretty good for Canada. The American defencemen haven't looked great defensively outside of Suter and McDonagh. Kesler, Stastny and Pavelski have all played well, but the are also second line centres. Getzlaf, Toews and Duchene should be able to win those match ups handily.

USA's offensive wingers are their strength, but Canada has solid defensive players on the wing in Bergeron, Carter, Marleau, Benn and even Sharp and Nash. This will be key. The Canadian defencemen should be capable of defending the wingers once they enter the zone. We don't really know what we have in Price, but hopefully he plays well. I am curious to see what Canada's forwards do against a team not trying to play six goaltenders the whole game.

In any event, most of this thought is for not. USA is a good team, and in a single game they have a great chance of beating Canada. I think Canada wins if the game is tight, maybe something like 3-2. If the score is lopsided, something like 4-1, I favour USA. I wouldn't be surprised to see Canada come out strong and limit USA to a few chances, and I wouldn't be surprised to see USA jump on Canada at the beginning and leave them with not enough time to recover. Should be a good game.

Additionally, I like the match up against Sweden for either of the North American teams.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I can't either, but as long as people who don't watch him play, don't know anything about his overall capabilities and make posts just to "fit in" with the PK haters crowd (seems like the cool thing to do right now), those who are pro PK will feel the need to defend him. Just like I'm doing right now. But I agree it's been beaten to death.

Yep, again I`ll state my ONLY concern with PK, and this is based on watching a lot of PK, (probably not as much as you but), is my confidence that he`d take the "safe" play when needed. Too often I have watched him try to force pucks through

I don`t doubt for a minute that the coaching staff don`t believe PK has great skill, what I think they believe is he`s a guy, out of this group of 8, who would be most likely to not settle for just dumping the puck to the corner and would rather wind up for that big slap shot at the wrong time

Who knows, I don`t care, whether this team wins or loses, it will never be about the absence of PK, it will be about whether the forwards can start converting chances, you can have all the great outlet passes you want, if the boys aren`t converting up front, it means squat

Apr 1, 2006
Montreal
Yep, again I`ll state my ONLY concern with PK, and this is based on watching a lot of PK, (probably not as much as you but), is my confidence that he`d take the "safe" play when needed. Too often I have watched him try to force pucks through

I don`t doubt for a minute that the coaching staff don`t believe PK has great skill, what I think they believe is he`s a guy, out of this group of 8, who would be most likely to not settle for just dumping the puck to the corner and would rather wind up for that big slap shot at the wrong time

Who knows, I don`t care, whether this team wins or loses, it will never be about the absence of PK, it will be about whether the forwards can start converting chances, you can have all the great outlet passes you want, if the boys aren`t converting up front, it means squat

It's much easier to respond to a good post like this one, than one that's bashing PK without explanation. The thing is that he IS taking risk from time to time because of the way he is playing, but this way of playing also pays up big time probably more often. Maybe in 2018 we'll see him play regularly on TC :). About the coaching staff, I guess they prefer playing it safe (can't blame them) with a D that has proven to be effective since the beginning of the games, but I still believe that PK can come up with big plays without sacrificing his defensive play.

calvin0416*

If Team Canada doesn't beat the US in a couple hours, I'll be telling everyone, "I told you so" that Nathan MacKinnon should have been on this team.

Nevermind that he's only 18 and not fully developed yet, he's got 22 goals, he's the fastest skater, already has one of the best releases (similar to Kessel), elevates his game in big games, and the wide open ice would have suited him. It's not about putting big names on your team, it's about building a proper team! Latvia only had 1 NHLer on their roster and yet they took an ALL-STAR STUDDED Canadian team to the brink.

Aren't I naughty for bringing this up? :naughty:
I'm just trying to set myself up for a win-win situation haha (if Canada wins, I'm happy, and if Canada loses, I told you so that MacKinnon should have been on the team).

LET'S GO CANADA!!!!!!!!!!!

#29 won it for Team Canada over US but that was Poulin for the women's gold.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Subban's not in because this might be the best defense Canada's ever put out, and he's the young guy on the team, and Babcock and the three Jack Adams winner assistant coaches liked what they saw in Hamhuis as a 7th in this one game elimanation tournament.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Subban's not in because this might be the best defense Canada's ever put out, and he's the young guy on the team, and Babcock and the three Jack Adams winner assistant coaches liked what they saw in Hamhuis as a 7th in this one game elimanation tournament.

He's probably a better motivator from the bench - need dem rah rah guys uno?

But seriously, Subban is probably banged up. We'll probably hear after the tournament about it.

JustAHabFan

Apr 8, 2008
He's probably a better motivator from the bench - need dem rah rah guys uno?

But seriously, Subban is probably banged up. We'll probably hear after the tournament about it.

I hoped not. The Habs is going to need him after the break.

Binary Code

How do I change that
Aug 22, 2013
Delirium
I want Canada to win but truth is they won't. They don't have the offensive punch that the Americans bring you can't win those game with 1 goal.

They won't leave time to Weber and Doughty on the blue line.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I want Canada to win but truth is they won't. They don't have the offensive punch that the Americans bring you can't win those game with 1 goal.

They won't leave time to Weber and Doughty on the blue line.

USA won't be ultra defensive.

Canadian forwards will be too much to handle.

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005

Nothing personal Kranix, and it's not so black and white, but why cite the old coaches' trophies but not the young player's trophy?

Also just because the Team Canada D has impressed does not mean it could not be improved.

Go Canada!

Classicnamesup

MVP Backhand Slapper
Sep 13, 2013
Guru Meditation
The good thing about this game coming up is, win or lose, hopefully Habs fans will stop complaining about Subban it is ridiculously annoying. Has been going on for a month now

Territory

Jan 31, 2014
Toronto
I haven't read this thread at all, but I gotta say it doesn't make sense to me that Hamhuis is in over Subban.

Hamhuis is barely playing. He is getting like 2-3 minutes a game. What is the point of him being in? At least if Subban is playing he can be on the powerplay instead of SHARP at the point.

I dunno if this has been discussed yet (probably had) but it just doesn't make sense to me. And I'm a leafs fan who hates the habs.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Why is Ryan Getzlaf on Team Canada?

From a neutral wiever: I would never wanna see a guy like that dress for Team Finland. He seems to have no heart, no effort and it really looks like he is on a vacation. I would expect players to step up when playing for your country? How do Canadians look at this?
I atleast see Crosby stepping it up a notch now against USA, but Getzlaf? It`s a wonder that they dont bench this guy...:shakehead

King King

Two Joes, No Cups
Aug 7, 2011
Seattle
Is this a real question?

He has 41 games of international experience (excluding these Olympics) and 52 points in those games.

He's second in NHL scoring this season.

He's a 6'4" power forward who plays C.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
From a neutral wiever: I would never wanna see a guy like that dress for Team Finland. He seems to have no heart, no effort and it really looks like he is on a vacation. I would expect players to step up when playing for your country? How do Canadians look at this?
I atleast see Crosby stepping it up a notch now against USA, but Getzlaf? It`s a wonder that they dont bench this guy...:shakehead

Getzlaf is on Team Canada because he is better than Crosby and just set up the goal.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Cause toews and crosby and the rest of the canadian forwards have showed why they deserve to be on the team... they woulda been better off just making an all Canadian defensemen team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad