Olympics: 2014 — Canada Roster Discussion (Part XVIII) (St. Louis in for Stamkos)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrmyheadhurts

Registered Boozer
Mar 22, 2007
Vancouver
Both goals on Luongo were actually deflections.

The Kesler tip was pretty nifty but Luongo would probably stop that 9 times out of 10.

What many people miss is the big deflection off Langenbrunner's skate on the tying goal. Luongo actually did well to make that first save but because it was such a change of pace and direction he couldn't control the rebound. It's also why I think the D was a little confused, they saw a shot going wide, it hits a skate and everyone but Luongo and Parise lose sight of it.

Luongo was fighting his glove all tournament though. I've said it before but in many ways Luongo is technically a better goalie today than when he was heading into the Olympics in 2010. If I had to choose between 2010 Luongo & 2014 Luongo, I would probably pick 2014; which is good news for Canada if Price can't take the ball.

Last edited:

here come the

Mar 25, 2013
Will Sharp really get #1 PP minutes on the point? Especially given all the talented QBs on the backend?

Keith, Crosby, and Tavares will dominate the puck on the PP. Sharp and Kunitz will shoot. Sharp's shot has been money from the point this year. They don't need a PPQB I'd think. Crosby and Tavares really more than Keith are elite PP puck distributors, have to think Canada's PP will operate more on the halfwall and the goal line than the point with that forward group out there

ak90210

Sep 18, 2011
Keith, Crosby, and Tavares will dominate the puck on the PP. Sharp and Kunitz will shoot. Sharp's shot has been money from the point this year. They don't need a PPQB I'd think. Crosby and Tavares really more than Keith are elite PP puck distributors, have to think Canada's PP will operate more on the halfwall and the goal line than the point with that forward group out there

Weber has 9 pp goals this year and a consistent history of ripping goals from the point, if anyone should be shooter it's him.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
I'm not really liking what I'm seeing so far when it comes to lines and roster choices, especially those PP units.

I hope that by the end of the tournament we have Kunitz out and MSL/Duchene in.

I can understand maybe dressing the 4 lefties to start to figure out who should play since they're a lot more questionable than our RH guys. But really, PK should be in and he should be used on the PP extensively.

Zanon

Apr 4, 2008
Vancouver
Luongo was fighting his glove all tournament though. I've said it before but in many ways Luongo is technically a better goalie today than when he was heading into the Olympics in 2010. If I had to choose between 2010 Luongo & 2014 Luongo, I would probably pick 2014; which is good news for Canada if Price can't take the ball.
He was using some weird glove (forced by some rule) that wasn't even properly broken in. It's the only logical explanation why the puck wouldn't stay in his glove when he caught it sometimes. It looked very awkward. His glove hand for the Canucks is otherwise strong.

His glove in this picture looks new. I wonder if he had to change it again.

OLY_MENS_HOCKEY_20140211_30315017.jpg

Last edited:

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Hope price does well and runs through the entire tournament. First unit pp is kinda sketcky to me. Why not weber on the first unit throwing bombs on the point. Keith is a good passer.

Read or heard something somewhere that TC's staff wanted great lateral skaters since the end zones are short and very wide. Of course things are going to change as tournament goes along but i did hear that.

here come the

Mar 25, 2013
Weber has 9 pp goals this year and a consistent history of ripping goals from the point, if anyone should be shooter it's him.

They have 2 PP units, and given the relatively equal ice time I'd assume Weber will get plenty of chances to shoot on his unit. And it's not like Sharp's 8 is really that much worse

Zanon

Apr 4, 2008
Vancouver
I'm glad you edited your post because citing the Boston series as an example of how he's good in big moments is a little bizarre.
He had some good games and some bad games against Boston. What more is there to say? Which games can be classed as
"big" and which ones not? Every game in the playoffs, in the moment, could be considered a big game. To say Luongo can't play in big games is ludcrious. He can more so than Price based off history.

I wonder if USA fans rip into Miller for allowing the worst losing goal of the entire 2010 tournament as a reason why Quick should be the starter. What a choker. Can't handle that overtime pressure, I guess.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
He had some good games and some bad games against Boston. What more is there to say? Which games can be classed as
"big" and which ones not? Every game in the playoffs, in the moment, could be considered a big game. To say Luongo can't play in big games is ludcrious. He can more so than Price based off history.

I wonder if USA fans rip into Miller for allowing the worst losing goal of the entire tournament to go in as a reason why Quick should be the starter.

Difference is they wouldn't have been there in the first place without Miller. Whereas, Luongo really assumed the role by default because Brodeur was horrible, and just hung in there against Slovakia and USA. I'm not even someone who cares about which goaltender starts, but that's a terrible argument.

As for the big game thing, its a bit of a silly argument for most players since its multifactorial and varies over their careers, barring anomalies like Forsberg.

Zanon

Apr 4, 2008
Vancouver
Difference is they wouldn't have been there in the first place without Miller. Whereas, Luongo really assumed the role by default because Brodeur was horrible, and just hung in there against Slovakia and USA. I'm not even someone who cares about which goaltender starts, but that's a terrible argument.

As for the big game thing, its a bit of a silly argument for most players since its multifactorial and varies over their careers, barring anomalies like Forsberg.
Miller faced Switzerland and Finland (with a huge amount of goal support) in the elimination games before facing Canada for Gold. He didn't carry the USA like they were some major underdog team. The only game he truly helped his team steal was against Canada in the qualifications, and Canada probably could've won that if Brodeur didn't decide to go full (Mod Edit) in it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
Miller faced Switzerland and Finland (with a huge amount of goal support) in the elimination games before facing Canada for Gold. He didn't carry the USA like they were some major underdog team. The only game he truly helped his team steal was against Canada in the qualifications, and Canada probably could've won that if Brodeur didn't decide to go full (Mod Edit) in it.

Miller was incredible throughout that tournament, and marginalizing his play because you feel the need to defend Luongo to the death in this thread is a little silly.

Last edited by a moderator:

TerminatorBlue

Nov 11, 2007
Canada
Everyone is picking Canada to win, that's why we will not win. They jinxed us!

Canada might have the deepest team but I say Russia has the best top six. Beside that anyone can win one game, Remember the year Sweden lost to Belarus?

Sleeper

Aug 10, 2007
Luongo's performance in the GMG reminds me of his showing in the 2004 World Cup against the Czechs.

In both games he let in 2 weak goals, was shaky throughout but made a big save in OT before we scored.

I don't want to go thru that a 3rd time.

no way you can explain how the 2nd American goal was "weak." The initial shot took a crazy deflection and he did well to even make that save. There was no chance of controlling the rebound, and then Parise is left completely alone in front of the net to put it home.

Leidi J

Jan 28, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
Official:

Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun 1m
Babcock says Duchene and Subban are scratches tonight but both will play tomorrow

Dan Rosen ‏@drosennhl 1m
Canada will scratch Subban and Duchene against Norway. Babcock tells reporters covering Canada's morning skate that both will play Friday.

Booba

Jun 20, 2005
Hopefully Subban will remain the 7th dman (at least)

I can't see how Hamhuis deserves a spot on Team Canada over Subban and Seabrook...

SB164

Apr 29, 2010
Montreal, Quebec
Official:

Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun 1m
Babcock says Duchene and Subban are scratches tonight but both will play tomorrow

Dan Rosen ‏@drosennhl 1m
Canada will scratch Subban and Duchene against Norway. Babcock tells reporters covering Canada's morning skate that both will play Friday.

Might've eased Price a bit to have his friend and teammate PK.

SB164

Apr 29, 2010
Montreal, Quebec
Ryan Rishaug ‏@TSNRyanRishaug 3m

My take on Duchene PK scratch, first game, defer to the veterans. Doesn't mean lineup spots are theirs to lose, young guys play next game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad