Olympics: 2014 — Canada Roster Discussion (Part XVI) (Released, Post 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Here's my line-up now that the roster is released:

Chris Kunitz - Sidney Crosby - Steven Stamkos
Jamie Benn - Ryan Getzlaf - Corey Perry
Patrick Sharp - Jonathan Toews - Rick Nash
Patrick Marleau - John Tavares - Matt Duchene
Patrice Bergeron

Extra: Jeff Carter

Duncan Keith - Drew Doughty
Jay Bouwmeester - Alex Pietrangelo
Marc Edouard Vlasic - Shea Weber
P.K. Subban

Extra: Dan Hamhuis

Luongo
Price
Smith

No Thornton?

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
My team----even though go USA

Matt Duchene- Sidney Crosby - Steven Stamkos (Speed)
Jamie Benn - Ryan Getzlaf - Corey Perry (Big/checking)
Patrick Sharp - Jonathan Toews - John Tavares (Shutdown/Puck Control)
Rick Nash- Patrice Bergeron- Jeff Carter (Shutdown)

Extra: Chris Kunitz Patrick Marleau

P.K. Subban

Luongo
Price
Smith

Salming

Mar 17, 2002
Sweden
Visit site
My team----even though go USA

Matt Duchene- Sidney Crosby - Steven Stamkos (Speed)
Jamie Benn - Ryan Getzlaf - Corey Perry (Big/checking)
Patrick Sharp - Jonathan Toews - John Tavares (Shutdown/Puck Control)
Rick Nash- Patrice Bergeron- Jeff Carter (Shutdown)

Extra: Chris Kunitz Patrick Marleau

P.K. Subban

Luongo
Price
Smith

I like your lines. I was about to pick roughly the same lines. I'd put your 3rd line as a 2nd line. And your 2nd line as a 4th line. I miss the days when Canada assembled a team with too much intimidation and too little "big ice skills". This group of players can skate eights around pretty much any team.

OldGreatWestern

Aug 27, 2008
Kunitz - Crosby (C) - Stamkos
Sharp - Toews (A) - Nash
Marleau - Getzlaf - Perry
Benn - Tavares - Carter

Keith - Doughty
Vlasic - Weber (A)
Bouwmeester - Pietrangelo

Price
Luongo
Smith​

jgoud*

Either this:

Kunitz - Crosby - Stamkos
Sharp - Toews - Nash
Benn - Getzlaf - Perry
Duchene - Tavares - Carter
Marleau, Bergeron

or this:

Kunitz - Crosby - Stamkos
Sharp - Toews - Tavares
Benn - Getzlaf - Perry
Duchene - Bergeron - Carter
Nash, Marleau

Depending on who they want up the middle. I think Tavares' two way game is a little weak so they might move him to wing and put a more defensively responsible guy like Bergeron on the fourth line. Plus, I'd rather see JT play in the top 6 anyway. The third line will be a good physical/energy line while also being talented.

Keith - Weber (A)
Vlasic - Doughty
Bouwmeester - Pietrangelo
Subban

Price
Luongo
Smith

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
any line combo projections must be vigorously re-adjusted to include Toews.

Shanahanigans

Jun 16, 2011
Sorry if this has already been answered but if Canada can send multiple teams for other events, why can't they do the same for hockey? A second Canadian team would be pretty competitive.

getzforfighting*

kunitz-crosby-stamkos
sharp-toews-nash
marleau-getzlaf-perry
duchene-tavares-carter
bergeron

keith-weber
boumeester-pietrangelo
vlasic-doughty
subban

price
luongo

extras: benn,hamhuis,smith

MyNameIsNobody*

kunitz-crosby-stamkos
sharp-toews-nash
marleau-getzlaf-perry
duchene-tavares-carter
bergeron

keith-weber
boumeester-pietrangelo
vlasic-doughty
subban

price
luongo

extras: benn,hamhuis,smith

Ok guys...i have been analyzing the Defense...
I have come to the conclusion that by the end of the tournament Subban will be top 6 and possibly, i say possibly top 4...

My reason...

Look at the defense we have, the only physical defense man we have is Weber....

I don't know how the rest are but i would rate them as follows...in terms of physicality

Weber

Subban <- I know Subban is physical...i watch him play (He is not a typical net clearer...but he is pretty physical and very strong)
Doughty <- i have seen him play on occasions and he is as physical as subban i think

pietrangelo
hamhuis
Bouwmeester <-- i though maybe he can be a typical net clearer but i dont think so???

vlasic

Any comments, please comment if you watch them play...

One physical man is NOT enough...and this is why they might have opted to go with big fast forwards as opposed to smallish fast forwards

MyNameIsNobody*

Ok guys...i have been analyzing the Defense...
I have come to the conclusion that by the end of the tournament Subban will be top 6 and possibly, i say possibly top 4...

My reason...

Look at the defense we have, the only physical defense man we have is Weber....

I don't know how the rest are but i would rate them as follows...in terms of physicality

Weber

Subban <- I know Subban is physical...i watch him play (He is not a typical net clearer...but he is pretty physical and very strong)
Doughty <- i have seen him play on occasions and he is as physical as subban i think

pietrangelo
hamhuis
Bouwmeester <-- i though maybe he can be a typical net clearer but i dont think so???

vlasic

Any comments, please comment if you watch them play...

One physical man is NOT enough...and this is why they might have opted to go with big fast forwards as opposed to smallish fast forwards

Anyone out there?

Cowboy Dan

Reader Since '06
Jul 7, 2010
Positional defence on the big ice is far more important than physicality. Try and be too physical on a big pad and you will get burned.

This is why guys like Bouwmeester, Hamhuis and Vlasic were selected, because they are great positionally. Not saying Subban isn't, as I believe he will earn a regular shift by the end of the tournament as well, but there is a reason people are slotting other players above him at this particular point in time.

MyNameIsNobody*

Positional defence on the big ice is far more important than physicality. Try and be too physical on a big pad and you will get burned.

This is why guys like Bouwmeester, Hamhuis and Vlasic were selected, because they are great positionally. Not saying Subban isn't, as I believe he will earn a regular shift by the end of the tournament as well, but there is a reason people are slotting other players above him at this particular point in time.

I understand what you are trying to say...BUT whether its international or nhl hockey players will still go to the net...they need to be cleared from in front...players will go to the corners and the puck needs to be taken from them...and the only one i really see doing this is Weber....this is why i would have preferred a Method or Phaneuf over Hamhius or Vlasic....even as an 8th

although the ice will be bigger our defense will still need to battle in front of the net or in the corners...it will happen....

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Wow! quiet in here today.. like a vacant lot... I can see the tumbleweeds blowin..

Have we finally grown tired of complaining about Rick Nash?

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box
I wish we really could put in 2 Teams.....:sarcasm:

picture.php
picture.php

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box
People who think PK Subban is a "wildcard" or "selfish" don't know the first thing about him, and I highly doubt they've watched a single Habs game. Just watch his interviews and you can see the kid puts his team first and he is very respectful.

Listen Ringo, he's been coached to say those things, in real life he has verbal diarrhoea and most team mates can't stand him! :shakehead

crunchyblack*

Listen Ringo, he's been coached to say those things, in real life he has verbal diarrhoea and most team mates can't stand him! :shakehead

I have friends who work at bars who have seen him out with team mates. They paint quite a different picture than the one you're selling.

MyNameIsNobody*

I have friends who work at bars who have seen him out with team mates. They paint quite a different picture than the one you're selling.

You are exact...my Brother in law has seen him at a high end restaurant...just before going to the World Championship last year....He was conducting a business meeting and he was not acting the way people think he acts...people on this board don't think much of him...you are all 100% wrong...

habsrule4eva3089

Nov 22, 2008
He has a different personality and is more outgoing,jovial,and probably has a better understanding of what it means to be in the position he's in. His parents are from the Caribbean, he's not like the rest of the pure ''Canadian'' players who grew up wearing Hollister tees and brand name clothing. People see something different and they get scared and put a perception on him. Wish there was more elite players of different ethnicity, would really open the game up and change it in Canada.

MyNameIsNobody*

He has a different personality and is more outgoing,jovial,and probably has a better understanding of what it means to be in the position he's in. His parents are from the Caribbean, he's not like the rest of the pure ''Canadian'' players who grew up wearing Hollister tees and brand name clothing. People see something different and they get scared and put a perception on him. Wish there was more elite players of different ethnicity, would really open the game up and change it in Canada.

People who are not Montreal fans hate him...they see him as arrogant or worse...but ask them all if they would want him on their team and 99% would say yes...

I dont understand the hate....He is the best thing we in Montreal have had since Chelios...oh man that denis savard deal was the worse in Montreal history....

I have faith that Subban will remain a Montreal player for years to come...

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010

Subban came from a solid Middle class background. His brothers played hockey too, remember.. not cheap. Whatever you're getting at, it's not there.

MyNameIsNobody*

Subban came from a solid Middle class background. His brothers played hockey too, remember.. not cheap. Whatever you're getting at, it's not there.

I think he is trying to say that the family is down to earth without being pretentious...
just down to earth people...well brought up kids....that's what i see anyways....

Like many hockey parents, very good people....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad