Olympics: 2014 — Canada Roster Discussion (Part XVI) (Released, Post 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 22, 2010
Mother Base
Goalies NHL Team

Carey Price Montreal Canadiens
Roberto Luongo Vancouver Canucks
Mike Smith Phoenix Coyotes

Forwards NHL Team

Sidney Crosby Pittsburgh Penguins
Steven Stamkos Tampa Bay Lightning
John Tavares New York Islanders
Jonathan Toews Chicago Blackhawks
Ryan Getzlaf Anaheim Ducks
Corey Perry Anaheim Ducks
Rick Nash New York Rangers
Patrick Sharp Chicago Blackhawks
Jamie Benn Dallas Stars
Matt Duchene Colorado Avalanche
Patrice Bergeron Boston Bruins
Jeff Carter LA Kings
Chris Kunitz Pittsburgh Penguins
Patrick Marleau San Jose Sharks

Defense NHL Team

Drew Doughty LA Kings
Duncan Keith Chicago Blackhawks
Alex Pietrangelo St.Louis Blues
Shea Weber Nashville Predators
Jay Bouwmeester St.Louis Blues
P.K. Subban Montreal Canadiens
Marc-Édouard Vlasic San Jose Sharks
Dan Hamhuis Vancouver Canucks

Last edited:

ShootFromTheHip

Jan 7, 2014
There is always going to be an argue about team Canada because so many great players is always been left outside, here's just a few notes:

Kunitz is there simply because of chemisty with Sid.
Hamhuis over Seabrook because LHD.
Nash over (your choice of player) because he is one of few elite players who can bring size with speed, and is part of the leadership core.

The only thing I'm going to argue about is this guy called Martin St. Louis, especially now when they're expecting Stammer to play. How in the earth you can leave that kind of chemistry out?! Okay, now I've let out enough steam. Only a little over a month to go, let's have a great Sotshi! I'm hoping great game when my Finland meets you in the last round of group stage!

P.S. how you can leave out Dany Heatley? He's a f***ing all-star! 50 in 06-07 baby!

bestmyfeeling

Oct 22, 2010
sorry if already mentioned but who's gonna be the "C" and the "A" of the team?

I assume, crosby and toews are locks for either or and who?....weber? keith?

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Also regarding St. Louis, my hunch is Stamkos isn't playing, sorry gang. So, they needed all the bigger sniper wingers they could get. Hope I'm wrong.

Alan

Jan 5, 2014
Anyone else like Tavares on the wing? His foot-speed and defensive ability might get a tad exposed on the big ice. Pair him with Toews and Sharp though, and my mind reels at the possibilities!

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
Definitely playing with fire, but can someone provide a cogent reason why Brent Burns wasn't in consideration, especially since Nash made the team?

If you are looking for size, skating ability, creativity, a huge shot and an all around devastating player - clearly Burns is the way to go.

He's been a completely unstoppable force since the conversion to forward.

Burns is a tough player to coach, very much a wild card in terms of how he plays. Mobility may be an issue too, he's not slow but his lateral movement leaves a bit to desired. His game is better suited for the NHL style game, the international style on the big ice I think would expose him.

CertainAffinity*

Marleau doesn't really bother me. He was on my projected team, and it looks like he actually took Couture's place, which San Jose fans seem to think is just based on their relative level of play this season.

Nash is a huge surprise for me. That seems like a reputation call, and I'm not 100% comfortable with it given the spot could have been given to a guy like Giroux.

Carter was on the bubble for me, but he's a good skater, big, great hands, and is versatile. So hard to complain with that choice.

Defense is exactly as I predicted it would be, thumbs up to Team Canada for that.

My starting lineup would be:

Kunits - Crosby - Stamkos/Neal*
Duchene - Getzlaf - Perry
Sharp - Toews - Tavares
Nash - Bergeron - Benn
Marleau - Carter

Keith - Weber
Vlasic - Doughty
Bouwmesster - Pietrangelo

Luongo
Price
Smith

Alan

Jan 5, 2014
The only thing I'm going to argue about is this guy called Martin St. Louis, especially now when they're expecting Stammer to play. How in the earth you can leave that kind of chemistry out?

Stammer was not going to play centre on this team, so the chances of seeing him play with MSL would have been slim...

CertainAffinity*

Stammer was not going to play centre on this team, so the chances of seeing him play with MSL would have been slim...

This. I originally had MSL on the team until it was made pretty clear that Stamkos was locked in at the RW position, which is the same position as MSL. No fit.

Alan

Jan 5, 2014
sorry if already mentioned but who's gonna be the "C" and the "A" of the team?

I assume, crosby and toews are locks for either or and who?....weber? keith?

You can't go wrong with any of Toews, Crosby or Weber, but I like Toews in the role.

hateseed

TentacleGrapeSoda
Aug 3, 2011
Coastal California
Burns is a tough player to coach, very much a wild card in terms of how he plays. Mobility may be an issue too, he's not slow but his lateral movement leaves a bit to desired. His game is better suited for the NHL style game, the international style on the big ice I think would expose him.

I would argue the complete opposite, when he gets moving in space almost no one can catch him, let alone stop him. Seriously, he is one of the Sharks fastest players and is equivalent or better than most NHL teams' 2D...

Alan

Jan 5, 2014
Also regarding St. Louis, my hunch is Stamkos isn't playing, sorry gang. So, they needed all the bigger sniper wingers they could get. Hope I'm wrong.

If true, I hope that Neal gets his shot.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
My dad knows Seabrooks dad. They both live in tsawwassen. Apparently they didn't take Brent because of his footspeed / agility and because he didn't bring a dynamic that wasn't already provided by the other Dmen.

PRMan

Aug 9, 2005
Yorba Linda, CA
www.product4me.com
Do you guys even watch hockey at all?

What do you get in Martin St. Louis? A one-dimensional small forward.

What do you get in Jeff Carter? A guy that plays all 3 forward positions, is almost as good of a sniper, has deceptive speed almost as fast as MSL, plays PP and PK regularly, plays WAY better defense than MSL (because on the Kings you are required to).

Carter is a much better pick than Martin St. Louis. (How many Cups has Tampa won lately?)

The worst pick in my book is Brooks Orpik. His lack of foot speed is going to make him a big liability on European ice.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
I would argue the complete opposite, when he gets moving in space almost no one can catch him, let alone stop him. Seriously, he is one of the Sharks fastest players.

Ya when he gets moving, he's fast but not quick. Just like Lucic, top speed is there, but the first step is lacking and their games may not translate to the international sized ice well.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Do you guys even watch hockey at all?

What do you get in Martin St. Louis? A one-dimensional small forward.

What do you get in Jeff Carter? A guy that plays all 3 forward positions, is almost as good of a sniper, plays PP and PK regularly, plays WAY better defense than MSL (because on the Kings you are required to).

Carter is a much better pick than Martin St. Louis. (How many Cups has Tampa won lately?)

Carter may be a better pick for the makeup of this particular team.
But MSL is a better player or at least the Hart trophy would suggest he is.
And, yes, I watch a lot of hockey.

FlyersFanz

aut viam inveniam au
Jan 26, 2010
BlkVanOutsideUrHouse
The fact that St-Louis is not on the team is a sad ****ing joke.

Well at least they can't blame Marty and Claude when Team Canada fails to get Gold...I expected more from Yzerman, not this crap..there's 1 maybe 2 decent lines. How does a goalie like Corey Crawford not get the nod after winning Lord Stanley? I think Yzerman had some personal feelings for some of these picks and snubs.

drewstar

Jan 1, 2010
6ix
If true, I hope that Neal gets his shot.

If Stamkos can't go, Neal will likely be the next man up imo.
If anyone else can't go, Giroux will likely get the call.

Giroux probably didnt get named because of the abundance of playmakers and the need for more scoring wingers.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Well at least they can't blame Marty and Claude when Team Canada fails to get Gold...I expected more from Yzerman, not this crap..there's 1 maybe 2 decent lines. How does a goalie like Corey Crawford not get the nod after winning Lord Stanley? I think Yzerman had some personal attachments to some of these picks and snubs.

If anything, I would say the opposite. Leaving MSL off was probably a very tough decision.

drewstar

Jan 1, 2010
6ix
Carter may be a better pick for the makeup of this particular team.
But MSL is a better player or at least the Hart trophy would suggest he is.
And, yes, I watch a lot of hockey.

MSL may be the better hockey player but what makes MSL special is his playmaking ability, and that kind of talent is what our lineup is full of esp at center, hence why we have goal scoring wingers chosen.

I like our team. Would have taken Neal somehow but otherwise how I would've selected the same team too.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Well at least they can't blame Marty and Claude when Team Canada fails to get Gold...I expected more from Yzerman, not this crap..there's 1 maybe 2 decent lines. How does a goalie like Corey Crawford not get the nod after winning Lord Stanley? I think Yzerman had some personal feelings for some of these picks and snubs.

Truly, our only hope is that Canada avoids relegation after this travesty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad