2013 World Championships Thread (May 3rd-19th)

foobar

Apr 13, 2013
what insight would the Russian media have? Gaborik is Slovakian.

the head coach of the Slovak team (Vladimir Vujtek from Czech republic) has confirmed that Gaborik won't come because he failed the medical check.
But today, the news is that Gaborik convinced the CBJ management to let him play on the IIHF championship in case his injury does not require a surgery - he'll be having another medical examination in Philly on Wednesday.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Varlamov instead of Bobrovsky will play for team Russia. Apparently Bob is a bit exhausted. He's had a talk with the NT coaching staff though. Still a strong candidate for Sochi obviously. Contract status also might be a factor for him too.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
the head coach of the Slovak team (Vladimir Vujtek from Czech republic) has confirmed that Gaborik won't come because he failed the medical check.
But today, the news is that Gaborik convinced the CBJ management to let him play on the IIHF championship in case his injury does not require a surgery - he'll be having another medical examination in Philly on Wednesday.

I'm calling BS on this one. if there is any sort of injury that was worthy of being checked out, I couldn't see the CBJ mgmt saying yes simply because it doesn't require surgery.

If there are legitimate confirmed media reports of this, I'd like to see legitimate media source with the info. otherwise its crap.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I've seen a couple of tweets this afternoon indicating Bob is skipping the WC.

I'm going to guess 1 of 2 things.

1. Agent advice not to risk injury while negotiating contract
2. He doesn't want to play with Bryzgalov after he pulled the #1 card.

If #1 is true, you'd have to wonder if Anisimov might do the same thing.

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
I've seen a couple of tweets this afternoon indicating Bob is skipping the WC.

I'm going to guess 1 of 2 things.

1. Agent advice not to risk injury while negotiating contract
2. He doesn't want to play with Bryzgalov after he pulled the #1 card.

If #1 is true, you'd have to wonder if Anisimov might do the same thing.

Iwas looking forward to seeing (or reading) about Bob in the Worlds but if decides to skip that's fine with me... His last two months were like four, he may need a rest.

foobar

Apr 13, 2013
I'm calling BS on this one. if there is any sort of injury that was worthy of being checked out, I couldn't see the CBJ mgmt saying yes simply because it doesn't require surgery.

If there are legitimate confirmed media reports of this, I'd like to see legitimate media source with the info. otherwise its crap.

it was all over the Slovak media, here's a "translation" of an article in a major Slovak newspaper

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
it was all over the Slovak media, here's a "translation" of an article in a major Slovak newspaper

For what it's worth, I sent this link to Portzline on twitter and he is going to follow up for any additional info. I'm surprised no US media had picked up on this yet.

foobar

Apr 13, 2013
For what it's worth, I sent this link to Portzline on twitter and he is going to follow up for any additional info. I'm surprised no US media had picked up on this yet.

Well, he's the biggest name that might be available for the Slovak team, so he gets a lot of attention. CBJ has apparently confirmed the reports.

foobar

Apr 13, 2013
Im possibly suffering from the same thing Garborik is (sports hernia), ontop of recovering from a ruptured disc...awesome!! Can be some painful stuff
I had a hernia surgery 2 times. The first time the surgeon used a so called Shouldice method - that involved stretching existing muscles over the weak area and stitching them together. That was painful as hell, couldn't walk upright for the first 2-3 weeks, and some specific types of movement caused pain even 4-6 weeks after the surgery.
The second time the surgeon used a mesh to repair the hernia, and I was fine 2 weeks after the surgery.

BluejacketNut

Sep 23, 2006
www.erazzphoto.com
I had a hernia surgery 2 times. The first time the surgeon used a so called Shouldice method - that involved stretching existing muscles over the weak area and stitching them together. That was painful as hell, couldn't walk upright for the first 2-3 weeks, and some specific types of movement caused pain even 4-6 weeks after the surgery.
The second time the surgeon used a mesh to repair the hernia, and I was fine 2 weeks after the surgery.

From everything i've read, a sports hernia is not really like a traditional hernia, where there's not a bulge so to speak, where its generally a tear or weakness in the muscles in the groin/lower abdomen. But its amazing to see the advancements the medical fields have made with surgeries

Dropkick Murphy

Jul 9, 2011
In the bubble
I have heard from couple of sources that CBJ has given entry-level contract offer (1 year) to team Finland's #1 G Antti Raanta. He had stellar debut yesterday, shutout vs. Slovakia. In my papers, this is excellent low risk-high reward signing.

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
I have heard from couple of sources that CBJ has given entry-level contract offer (1 year) to team Finland's #1 G Antti Raanta. He had stellar debut yesterday, shutout vs. Slovakia. In my papers, this is excellent low risk-high reward signing.

Isn't he signed to HIFK for next season, or does he have an escape clause?

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Oh wow, USA big eh?

Clearly, nobody ever listens to any of the lyrics beyond the chorus. It's a protest song, not a patriotic anthem!

I'm guilty of that sometimes, but that song is from Bruce Cougar Mellon-Steen. I would be wanting to hit my head hard against a wall than listen to that after every goal.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
Russian goalies couldnt stop a beach ball right now! Bobs has to be feeling good right now :laugh: Now up 8-3!! Love them playing Born in the USA after a goal!

Clearly, nobody ever listens to any of the lyrics beyond the chorus. It's a protest song, not a patriotic anthem!

I had this exact conversation with the wife while watching USA/Germany. After a minute, she asked, "So if Germany scores, will they play Rammstein or Prodigy?"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad