GDT: 2013 WJC's Thread II

Oct 15, 2008
Hopefully the lockout ends soon so we can get back to watching the Oilers and all their crappy first overall picks lose.

Oct 15, 2008
Hockey Canada better get a handle on their program because this is getting embarrassing, in 3 years we haven't had a dominate team, or a properly picked squad, too much weight put on previous play in other event and not on the tryouts, without the NHL players this team could have placed out of the medal round. I could care less about the bronze game, here's hoping yakupov leads Russia to victory

The Americans were in the relegation round last year. Enough of this Canada's program is in the toilet talk. Do you think we should win gold every year?

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
Boy is Gaudreau impressive. I have no clue if his talent will translate to the NHL but he's a lot of fun to watch.

Huberdeau and Schiefle have been flat out awful today.

I thought Huberdeau was going to dominate this tournament considering his play in the QMJHL playoffs, memorial cups, previous world juniors and good showing in the super series. For some reason they just don't have the jump they usually do. Scheifele is almost comical to watch at this point, I think he deserves the snowpants title.

DrDrai

The OG
Jan 28, 2007
Edmonton
The Americans were in the relegation round last year. Enough of this Canada's program is in the toilet talk. Do you think we should win gold every year?

Yes that's the Canadian mentality, and they had the team to do it on paper, like they do most years, this loss wasn't on the goalie it was about effort.

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
Dougie Hamilton was the biggest disappointment for me in this tournament. For a guy many think is the best prospect defenceman in the world, he played pretty poorly all tournament long. :(

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
Gibson was unbelievable. Nuge had chances and I love him but he is DREADFUL in faceoffs. That line's effectiveness was greatly reduced because they so seldom had possession of the puck off faceoffs.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Gibson was unbelievable. Nuge had chances and I love him but he is DREADFUL in faceoffs. That line's effectiveness was greatly reduced because they so seldom had possession of the puck off faceoffs.

He's better on draws in the AHL and started the tournament well in that department before his faceoffs fell off a cliff.

Oct 15, 2008
Yes that's the Canadian mentality, and they had the team to do it on paper, like they do most years, this loss wasn't on the goalie it was about effort.

Maybe they just werent good enough today? There is more parity in this tourney than there has ever been. The Americans beat us in every way and in all areas. It wasnt even close. Makes me wonder why they seemed so ill prepared?

You know there are problems when Kevin Prendergast is your head scout. That's the first clue. How that guy ever got a job as a head scout after what he did here is anyone's guess. Must have known somebody. Old boys club.

That's what the problem is imo. They handed Subban the starting job despite poor pre-tourney performances and a poor camp. Same goes for Murphy. I think they need a full time coach who is independent of any chl club for starters. Get rid of the nepotism and favouritism. Replace Prendergast with someone competent. Those two things would be a good start. The talent is there.

tv14

Cam Dadbot
Feb 12, 2008
Alberta
What an embarassing game for Canadians.

Our "top players" were bad. RNH is the only one would could be relied upon to generate anything, but we needed a big game from him. Scheifele was bad, the only time I noticed him was when he was flopping around on the ice. Huberdeau and Strome were invisible. The 3rd and 4th lines were useless, couldn't generate offense and didn't play physical, forecheck or grind. Hamilton was invisible for being as hyped as he is. Murphy was beyond awful, don't get me started on him, yet I saw him out there every other shift. Subban was average, but you have to be great in big games, especially when you're duelling an elite goalie.

USA played a great game. Attacked with speed and Canada had no answer, pretty clear this was there gameplan and it worked to perfection. Gaudreau was a pain in the ass and was great. Gibson was great as expected when tested.

DrDrai

The OG
Jan 28, 2007
Edmonton
Maybe they just werent good enough today? There is more parity in this tourney than there has ever been. The Americans beat us in every way and in all areas. It wasnt even close. Makes me wonder why they seemed so ill prepared?

You know there are problems when Kevin Prendergast is your head scout. That's the first clue. How that guy ever got a job as a head scout after what he did here is anyone's guess. Must have known somebody. Old boys club.

That's what the problem is imo. They handed Subban the starting job despite poor pre-tourney performances and a poor camp. Same goes for Murphy. I think they need a full time coach who is independent of any chl club for starters. Get rid of the nepotism and favouritism. Replace Prendergast with someone competent. Those two things would be a good start. The talent is there.

I agree in full, no excuses and the USA was just perfect today, but Canada didn't have any heart or effort, I have no problem losing if the guys give it 100% and they didn't today.

Full time coach is an interesting idea, that way they wouldn't have that favoritism.

Worraps

Oct 23, 2011
Edmonton

Faceoffs are overrated. It's nice to get an extra possession from winning one but the execution of the possession is vastly more important.

The line's major problem was Schiefle making terrible decisions with the puck when he wasn't getting knocked off it. He should just try to establish position in front of the net, take a lot of shots, and enough with the diving crap. Someone should get the kid a Dave Andreychuk highlight reel.

Worraps

Oct 23, 2011
Edmonton

Hear hear. Need a World Juniors version of Dave King. They could also give him Prendagast's job which would make the position appealing to lots of good people.

Oct 15, 2008
What an embarassing game for Canadians.

Our "top players" were bad. RNH is the only one would could be relied upon to generate anything, but we needed a big game from him. Scheifele was bad, the only time I noticed him was when he was flopping around on the ice. Huberdeau and Strome were invisible. The 3rd and 4th lines were useless, couldn't generate offense and didn't play physical, forecheck or grind. Hamilton was invisible for being as hyped as he is. Murphy was beyond awful, don't get me started on him, yet I saw him out there every other shift. Subban was average, but you have to be great in big games, especially when you're duelling an elite goalie.

USA played a great game. Attacked with speed and Canada had no answer, pretty clear this was there gameplan and it worked to perfection. Gaudreau was a pain in the ass and was great. Gibson was great as expected when tested.

I thought Strome had three or four really good scoring chances. He didnt get much ice time. Spott overplayed the Hopkins line. Not sure if he was allowed to take a time out after that icing, but if he was he certainly should have. Probably had delusions of using it late in the third to draw up a play for the tying goal with the goalie out or some nonsense.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Gaudreau is 5"7, yet we only hit him twice. No physicality, no jump, this was embarrassing

The Perfect Human*

I don't know why people are putting so much emphasis on this being a "choke". Other than winning the Group in the round-robin stage, there was really nothing that made Canada the #1 contender in this tournament for me.

Outside of RNH there was no other sure-fire briliant offensive prospect to help carry the load. Even before the tournament, I had Canada as 3rd behind Russia/USA as the top teams in this tournament.

A good team got beat by a great team today - not as much a choke as it is just the way things are.

The Perfect Human*

I don't fault him for the loss tonight and he was solid for us in his previous 2 games.

He is no where near the talent Gibson is - I feel Gibson out-played him even in the round-robin game where Canada won - as good as Subban was.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Gaudreau is 5"7, yet we only hit him twice. No physicality, no jump, this was embarrassing

Team USA had more jump, more speed, more of a desire to win, and they did it in convincing fashion. An absolutely embarrassing performance by Canada.

Oct 15, 2008
Here here. Need a World Juniors version of Dave King. They could also give him Prendagast's job which would make the position appealing to lots of good people.

Agreed. Why not make him coach/gm/head scout. Or hire two or three guys? Have them criss cross the country watching the prospects. And make the selection camp a training camp, with the spots already filled beforehand. Give them a week or ten days to gel. Figure out your line combos and special teams. In other words be as prepared as you can be.

Hiring coaches from full time chl teams is about the dumbest thing you could do. They are biased from the get go, and you can be sure they have little to no knowledge/viewings of the other two leagues. They simply dont have the time to do that properly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad