2013 WJC Thread - USA! USA! USA!

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
Harrington had a solid game vs Slovakia. Was relied on heavily when Canada got hit by penalties. He were only on the ice for 1 goal against and it was on a 3 on 5. He has a really active stick and had a few blocks as well.

ILikeTurtles

Sep 2, 2010
Really enjoying Steve Mears calling the USA games, hope they find a way to replace steigy with Mears.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
Nichushkin is in beast-mode. Seriously the best player on the ice by far.

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
If they were set on taking a defenseman at the draft, Trouba seems like a better player than Pouliot.

Dangles78

Oct 14, 2012
Pittsburgh
If they were set on taking a defenseman at the draft, Trouba seems like a better player than Pouliot.

What are you basing that on? Todays game?

How many times have you seen both players?

Trouba still has concerns with his decision making in both ends of the ice. He is still very raw in the sense that many don't know what part of his game will translate the best so it's hard to predict what kind of NHLer he'll become. I like Trouba, but at this very moment, I can't say he's better than Pouliot. Way too early for that.

redsono93

Jun 29, 2009
New Jersey
Hey guys I watched Fin/USA game last night. The Fin team looked really good. My question is the Fin's goalie was he drafted? If not we should think about drafting him if we can. He looked poised for a young goalie. I know its only one game but he did look really good. Thanks as always!!!

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002

I agree. And he also fills a greater need as a physical, right-shooting d-man too.

But obviously the Penguins didn't feel he was BPA. And it's not like they didn't watch Trouba. He still has some warts of his own.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Harrington received "the cape" (game MVP handed out by the coaches) for his play against the Slovaks.

"You know what," said head coach Steve Spott when asked why the London Knights captain got the honour, "his statistic is shot blocks and, I tell you what, he is so talented when it comes to killing penalties and battling for his hockey club that, in our mind tonight, he did so much yeoman's work, he deserved the cape."

One person who did notice Harrington against the Slovaks was his goalie.

"Oh yeah, 100%, especially at the end of those power plays when it's getting really tiring and he's blocking shots and moving pucks out and making saves for me," said Subban. "I remember one in the third, the puck was coming and he just stopped it with his stick and shot it down. That's all you can ask for from a defenceman."

http://www.tsn.ca/world_jrs/story/?id=412387

Yup. Can't wait to see this kid in black and gold.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Missed the Canada/Slovakia game. Thought I'd sleep in and catch the USA/Russia game instead. Great to read the comments about Harrington.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Yakupov is kind of an idiot, constantly trying to beat guys one-on-one even when he has numbers on the rush.

Anyway, Makarov was passed on in thte last 2 drafts, but with Thiessen and Killeen probably not being retained after this season perhaps the Pens can nab Makarov with a mid-to-late draft pick this summer. He seems to have decent potential, good size, fairly sound fundamentals and already has some big-game experience/success. Could be a good back-up for Zatkoff next season, and move into the AHL starting job sometime after.

Last edited:

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Yakupov is kind of an idiot, constantly trying to beat guys one-on-one even when he has numbers on the rush.

That's where I think the Ovechkin comparisons are kind of accurate. :laugh:

But the Russians did that all game against Slovakia. Grigorenko and Nichushkin were the only ones to use their line mates.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA

Anyway, Makarov was passed on in thte last 2 drafts, but with Thiessen and Killeen probably not being retained after this season perhaps the Pens can nab Makarov with a mid-to-late draft pick this summer. He seems to have decent potential, good size, fairly sound fundamentals and already has some big-game experience/success. Could be a good back-up for Zatkoff next season, and move into the AHL starting job sometime after.

I was at the draft begging the Pens (from the stands) to draft Makarov. I couldn't believe he wasn't drafted, but I knew he would be signed by someone. You can't ignore his tournament play. Especially when a 1st round pick gets benched in favor of him in the gold medal game like last WJC. 57 saves in a 1-0 OT loss. Not impressed at all with the goalies the Pens took in favor of him.

redsono93

Jun 29, 2009
New Jersey
I'm going to go kill myself.

Please don't your the voice of reason on here:) I know bro he was signed by Buffalo in Sept. He was undrafted he would have been such a great goalie prospect. I thought the same thing Pitt should sign him after he stopped 41 shots the other day against the US. What goalies in this WJC should we target? I thought the goalie from Fin did a great job against the USA. Maybe we can make a trade to Buffalo for Markov.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Trouba has Shea Weber II written all over him. And Weber too was a guy with 'warts in his game' in his draft year, which is why he went in the second round. But Trouba has the same upside, imo. Don't know if he can become the same type of leader, since he seems a bit camera-shy and awkward, but man what game he possesses.

It's pretty obvious that Pens scouts fell in love with Pouliot while following Morrow's progress. I like Trouba more, but the jury won't be in on this one for a while. And it's hard to complain about last year's draft, since we also got a total steal in Olli Maatta.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I'm not a fan of some of Spott's coaching decisions. First, his pet project Ryan Murphy is logging way too many minutes, despite looking pretty bad defensively out there. To top it off, he's not even adding the offense that is his calling card. Let him run the PP, but stop playing him so much at even strength, in place of more defensively sound guys like Reinhart and Wotherspoon.

Second, his lack of using Nate MacKinnon. Every shift MacKinnon's actually been given, he's been a buzzsaw out there, creating difficulties for the opposition defense with his puck pursuit and board work. Add to that the chemistry him and Drouin already have, you'd think it would be a no brainer to try them together more than a shift or two in the third period.

Canada, as a whole, hasn't looked very good, IMO. The scores flatter them, but I think if the opponents had been Russia and the US instead of Germany and Slovakia, the outcomes would have been different.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I'm not a fan of some of Spott's coaching decisions. First, his pet project Ryan Murphy is logging way too many minutes, despite looking pretty bad defensively out there. To top it off, he's not even adding the offense that is his calling card. Let him run the PP, but stop playing him so much at even strength, in place of more defensively sound guys like Reinhart and Wotherspoon.

Second, his lack of using Nate MacKinnon. Every shift MacKinnon's actually been given, he's been a buzzsaw out there, creating difficulties for the opposition defense with his puck pursuit and board work. Add to that the chemistry him and Drouin already have, you'd think it would be a no brainer to try them together more than a shift or two in the third period.

Canada, as a whole, hasn't looked very good, IMO. The scores flatter them, but I think if the opponents had been Russia and the US instead of Germany and Slovakia, the outcomes would have been different.

Agreed. I wouldn't even use Ryan Murphy on the first PP unit...because Morgan Rielly and Dougie Hamilton are better players imo. In fact, I question why Ryan Murphy is on this team, aside from the obvious (his junior coach is coaching Canada and people felt sympathy because this was Murphy's third crack at making the team).

And MacKinnon should be playing with Drouin most of the time. They have obvious chemistry. Strome and Ritchie together makes sense, but it would also make sense to play Scheifele with Camara, since they're junior linemates too. In a short tournament, any chemistry you already have is priceless.

I think Spott is pretty clueless, to be honest. I wonder if Bylsma is his mentor.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
Bluegers had an ok game. Thing is Latvia very rarely had any puck possesion and even less extended time in swedens zone. On the PP tho he looked really good directing the play. Had a really nice goal, someone linked the youtube of it already. Still cant believe he isnt on their 1st PP unit....

But i really think Latvia needs to play a weaker team for us to really see what Bluegers can do.

Regarding theTrouba vs Pouliot discussion. If i knew we would take a defenseman with the 8th pick i was SURE it would be Trouba. He just screemed "shero type". BUt now we have Pouliot and seeing Trouba play good in 2 games will not make me wish we had him because i havent seen Pouliot enough to make that decision.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Trouba's shot when he can get it off is pretty ridiculous. He gets so much torque on his shaft and he practically takes a chunk out of the ice.

Dangles78

Oct 14, 2012
Pittsburgh
Trouba's shot when he can get it off is pretty ridiculous. He gets so much torque on his shaft and he practically takes a chunk out of the ice.

Too bad his decision making isn't there yet. Combine that with the awful coaching of "Trouba NEEDS to shoot the puck" you have very limited quality chances.

Sure, when he gets that puck through there's a good chance it's going in, but their PP strategy is blatantly obvious. They establish the point shot and open space down low, but continue to rip the shot from the point--from Trouba--these players aren't dumb. The Russians picked up on it fast.

More of a knock of the USA coaching rather than Trouba. I would have been quite happy if he was a Pens prospect.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad