2013 WJC Thread - USA! USA! USA!

penguins2946*

Put everything WJC related here, to prevent the Prospects Thread from getting filled up. So far, Canada beat Germany 9-3, Finland beat Latvia 5-1, and Sweden beat Czech 4-1.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Teddy was pretty good when he got the chance on PP,really creative with the puck,but our coach somehow thought it`s a great idea to put him on the 3d line.

That sucks, from what I've read about Teddy was that he was a real offensive player, kind of a waste on the 3rd line. At least he got some pp time

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
Any report on how Maatta/Teddy did in the Finland-Latvia game?

This is my take from the game, posted in the prospect thread but since we now have a separate for the WJC ill post it here as well.

"Maata was steady, good on the PP, didnt have any points but was on the ice for 2-3 goals. had good poise along the line with the puck on the powerplay. Made the "slapshot fake" a few times too much, would rather have seen him let it go one of the 4 times he faked it.

Bluegers were hard to get a read on since Latvia was badly outplayed and didnt have much puck-possesion. He did however looked to be the most creative player by FAR on the PP when Latvia could get some pressure. For some reason tho he was on the 2nd PP unit and i think the 3rd line. So the talent around him werent the best. COuld have had an assist but somehow the Latvian player missed the open net.

Will be nice to watch Latvia again against weaker competition to get a better look att Bluegers."

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Draisaitl is awesome. He skates like Modano.

Dougie Hamilton is a big ol turd.

Dangles78

Oct 14, 2012
Pittsburgh

Draisaitl was very impressive. He's able to slow down the game and seems to have good offensive instincts. He's also got good size for a kid his age, and just by stat watching (WHL) it seems like he's fine with the NA ice.

Murphy was getting #1 D pairing time and was brutally awful. Seriously, he couldn't receive a pass, make a pass and his defensive awareness isn't good.

And once again, Hamilton didn't impress me. I still have faith that he's a future #1-2 defenseman, but man the hype? I just don't see it. Let's wait until he starts putting it all together on a consistent basis.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal

Hamilton sucked last year for Team Canada and is off to another **** start. Guy is a product from a good Niagara team and loads up on points. Don't see the hype in him honestly

redsono93

Jun 29, 2009
New Jersey
Hey guys any players at WJC stand out that we should target during draft day? I think we are loaded on D-man. I would love for us to draft just forwards and goalies in this draft. Thanks and Happy Holidays!!!!

Dangles78

Oct 14, 2012
Pittsburgh
Hey guys any players at WJC stand out that we should target during draft day? I think we are loaded on D-man. I would love for us to draft just forwards and goalies in this draft. Thanks and Happy Holidays!!!!

The 2013 draft class is deep with talented forwards. This is a draft day where I see Shero not only drafting a forward, but possibly using one of our defensive prospects to move up a la David Rundblad.

IF Valeri Nichushkin (RUS) slips like Tarasenko then I hope Shero tries exactly what he did in the Tarasenko situation since IMO they are very similar players.

Another player that I wouldn't mind drafting (that's playing in the WJC right now) is Jacob de la Rose. Big, fast and versatile. He's a very safe pick and might not have the most upside compared to other forwards in the draft though.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Is Draitsil 2013 eligible? His dad's a pretty famous German player so if we drafted Leon we could have that market cornered with him and Kuhnhackl.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Cool, with two years WHL and two WJC under his belt the fact that he's German will have little to no effect on his draft stock.

member 51464

Cool, with two years WHL and two WJC under his belt the fact that he's German will have little to no effect on his draft stock.

Someone in Wales talking about the draft chances of a German kid on a hockey board in a subforum for a team in Pittsburgh, PA. I love the internet :laugh:

wheelz87

LGP
Jun 28, 2011
Pittsburgh
I thought Drouin looked very good for team Canada. Also thought Scotty H played a fantastic game, had a ton of blocked shots.

Sucked to see Russia win it so late.. was hoping for a shootout. Would have loved to see what some of their talented kids would have done.

Lets go USA!

deakka

Nov 6, 2009

Elias Lindholm for sweden. He looked like the best player on both teams in swedens game. 21 points in 32 games in the swedish elite league playing against men. But if there is a season he will most likely be gone when we ick. If there is a lottery on the other hand and we get a top 10 pick.. :D

Ofc there is Barkov, Drouin and Mackinnon, but they already have the hype around them.

Lehkonen are also a possible candidate.

Sjb141

Dec 11, 2008
Lindholm is a great player but there's no way he'll be around where we (should/will probably) be picking. He'll be taken in the top 5.

Wennberg and De La Rose are definitely worth watching for sweden.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Teddy was pretty good when he got the chance on PP,really creative with the puck,but our coach somehow thought it`s a great idea to put him on the 3d line.

Is there a reason for this? Are the two centers playing ahead of him 19 year olds? Established? Seems kind of a silly decision by the coach if he truly is the best offensive center the team has, regardless of age.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
Is there a reason for this? Are the two centers playing ahead of him 19 year olds? Established? Seems kind of a silly decision by the coach if he truly is the best offensive center the team has, regardless of age.

Hes also not on the 1st PP unit despite being by far the most creative playe on the PP in tha game against Finland. I dont know if the coach favors players not playing in the US, if they dont scout the ones playing in the US, or just dont think Bluegers are good enough.

BeauKnows19

Mar 28, 2012
New Jersey
I wouldn't mind us drafting Arturri Lehkonen, a finnish prospect. I've liked what I've seen about him, he has a great scoring touch, but also can make an in front of the net presence on the PP, and is OK defensively. He will likely go between 20 and 30th overall, which is probably where we will be drafting (unless there's a lottery from the lockout, then who knows) Goalie wise, I like the London Knights goalie Jake Patterson. He's likely to go in the 6th or 7th round but is really athletic, and that is a good quality to build around.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
The 2013 draft class is deep with talented forwards. This is a draft day where I see Shero not only drafting a forward, but possibly using one of our defensive prospects to move up a la David Rundblad.

IF Valeri Nichushkin (RUS) slips like Tarasenko then I hope Shero tries exactly what he did in the Tarasenko situation since IMO they are very similar players.

Another player that I wouldn't mind drafting (that's playing in the WJC right now) is Jacob de la Rose. Big, fast and versatile. He's a very safe pick and might not have the most upside compared to other forwards in the draft though.

I've always been a big proponent of trading up in drafts if the team really believes there's a "difference-maker" within reach, but I think this draft is deep enough -- said to be 60 good players deep -- that I think with some intelligent drafting, we could really stock up on some great forwards.

I absolutely agree, and have also said recently, that I would like to see us move one of our Dmen at the draft for a second 1st round draft pick, if possible, like St. Louis did with Rundblad. By the time the draft is around and this season complete, I think we should have a better idea of which of our prospects are developing best, and thus which ones we should keep. Some are no brainers like Pouliot, Harrington, Morrow, and probably Dumoulin. But perhaps it's a decision to flip one of Maatta, Despres or even Dumoulin to a team looking for a Dman in a forward-rich draft (i.e. Wild, Sharks, etc.).

Best case scenario is all of our guys have great years and raise their stock, so we can keep the ones we want and still get a good return for another.

I also think that we could see a guy like Brian Strait moved for a 2nd round pick. This is a fully developed prospect who, if everyone stays healthy, probably just doesn't have a place here. Or, if the season is wiped out and our young guys have an extra year before they need to step in, then perhaps we can trade a guy like Paul Martin for a 2nd round pick, knowing that we would not be "forcing" a young guy into the line-up this season before they're ready for a playoff run. All in all, if we could somehow end up with 3, 4 or even 5 picks in the first 2 rounds, then that would be absolutely golden -- and with the guys we already have in house (Bennett, Agostino, Kuhn, Archibald, Tangradi, etc.), we could be set up very well for the long-term.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->