Pre-Game Talk: 2013 Training Camp, with 100% More Bob Evans!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Jokinen-Sutter-Dupuis is my ideal third-line.

faceoffs. check (Jokinen/Sutter)
defensive awareness. check (all three)
players with positive corsi in defensive situations. check. (Jokinen/Dupuis)
hustle. check (all three)
speed. check (Dupuis)
shooters. check (all three)
playmaker. check (Jokinen)

of course, they'd need another top-six winger for that line to come to fruition. maybe next year, if Kulemin sings and they can bring back Jokinen at this current salary or cheaper.

Absolutely. I just meant with the current roster.

My ideal target next off-season (if he makes it to free agency) would be Alex Steen. I think he'd be an absolute perfect fit alongside either Crosby or Malkin.

Fire Shero*

Technically, Fleury isn't a waste of cap space because there's no cap in the playoffs. In the regular season, he's an average starter drawing an average salary - but at least he's been solid until April hits.

Jon quick gets paid $800,000 more than Fleury....

Plus this deal was signed 5 years ago, and he's been drastically overpaid every year since.

Fire Shero*

Jokinen-Sutter-Dupuis would make for a very intriguing third-line.

faceoffs. check (Jokinen/Sutter)
defensive awareness. check (all three)
players with positive corsi against tougher competition. check. (Jokinen/Dupuis)
hustle. check (all three)
speed. check (Dupuis)
shooters. check (all three)
playmaker. check (Jokinen)

of course, they'd need another winger in the top-six for that line to come to fruition. maybe next year, if Kulemin sings and they can bring back Jokinen at this current salary or cheaper.

Oh good god no. While I agree that would be a very good 3rd line, why on earth would you want Kulemin playing in our top 6? He's put up more than 38 pts once in his career. He's a good 3rd liner.

So he played well with Geno in an inferior league for a couple of months, surely he will mesh perfectly in the NHL and dominate! Brett Sterling puts up good numbers in the AHL, maybe we should try him again on the pens!!!!

Ugggggh

Let's brig back Tangradi while we are at it

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
Jon quick gets paid $800,000 more than Fleury....

Plus this deal was signed 5 years ago, and he's been drastically overpaid every year since.

Yes but Fleury also signed his deal after a career year and a playoff run in which he put up Conn Smythe calibre numbers. He had all the leverage at the time.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Oh good god no. While I agree that would be a very good 3rd line, why on earth would you want Kulemin playing in our top 6? He's put up more than 38 pts once in his career. He's a good 3rd liner.

So he played well with Geno in an inferior league for a couple of months, surely he will mesh perfectly in the NHL and dominate! Brett Sterling puts up good numbers in the AHL, maybe we should try him again on the pens!!!!

Ugggggh

If Kulemin comes to the Pens it's going to be a lateral 1:1 move. I can't see a deal where we make a trade in which Kulemin is an upgrade given the rosters and cap situations.

I'm also going to use this time to say how much I hated having Tangradi on this team. The overrating of that kid by the posters on this board was not only sickening but mind boggling as well. I thank God everyday that he is gone. Good friggin riddens. But totally thanks for the 7th rd pick from a non playoff team.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011

Ugggggh

More than a couple of months, actually. They were line mates before either one came to the NHL, as well as during the lockout. And it's not like Kulemin is a scrub, either. It's not just point totals that he brings.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Hard to know, Sabres look like they're going to try a quick rebuild by moving Miller and Vanek so Ott could also be moved.

It's not hard to know IMO. Ott is a very unique type of player that they sorely lacked. There's no way they will trade him, even if rebuilding. Every good team needs an Ott-like player, but I'm not even sure there are 30 of them to go around. Maybe more like 8 or 10 of them.

But yah, having Ott as our 3C would make us the toughest we've ever been to play against in the Crosby era. Tougher even than Staal's best years IMO.

Firing Shero would be a dumb mistake. He's brought a lot of good players into the organization without giving up many valuable pieces.

Correct. People like to group Bylsma and Shero together after the press conferences and that's nonsense. Shero is a far better GM relative to what other teams are working with, than Bylsma is a coach relative to what other teams are working with. Not sure how anyone can't see that on the whole.

ALL GMs make mistakes / occasional bad trades or bad no-signings for a player. They're human. IMO it was a mistake for him to get on the Bylsma bandwagon (the feel-good Fleury stuff), but I believe the reason he did it was because he had already looked for a suitable #1G replacement and could not find any he believed in. Who knows maybe he made an offer for Bernier too and didn't get what he wanted and just never mentioned it. IMO though Fleury's days are numbered, no matter how nice Shero is in front of the press. He's not going to telegraph his moves or say "I'm looking to move him" because that would drive the value even lower. So they did their little "MAF is our guy" routine (Bylsma believing his own BS and Shero not, IMO), in the hopes he could build himself back up this summer, maybe have a good playoff, and they can trade him for something decent.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
It's not hard to know IMO. Ott is a very unique type of player that they sorely lacked. There's no way they will trade him, even if rebuilding. Every good team needs an Ott-like player, but I'm not even sure there are 30 of them to go around. Maybe more like 8 or 10 of them.

But yah, having Ott as our 3C would make us the toughest we've ever been to play against in the Crosby era. Tougher even than Staal's best years IMO.

If Ott doesn't re-sign then he gets traded, simple really.

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
Fleury is "that guy" at the office who makes absurd amounts of money while doing no actual work and browsing the internet all day.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
If Ott doesn't re-sign then he gets traded, simple really.

They'll give him whatever he wants, especially if Miller and Vanek's salaries come off the books. If he likes it in Buffalo (no idea) or likes the idea that he might get big money and an expanded role there (big money for him I mean), there's no reason to think he'll leave. Hell trading Vanek and Miller might make it more likely for him to stay if he doesn't believe in those guys as leaders. Just saying, don't get your hopes up. It's a long-shot. Won't be surprised given the owner's attitude of making rapid change, if he's signed during this season.

I'd be the first to welcome him though and say goodbye to whatever defensive assets we had to sell to do it.

Also, whoever renamed this thread deserves a biscuit. :thumbu:

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
https://twitter.com/JoshYohe_Trib/status/381557391721893888

When asked if he was happy with Fleury's off-ice work this summer, Shero said, "It's been OK." And he didn't sound real convincing.

LOL

If Fleury flops (again), I don't feel the least bit sorry for Shero/Bylsma. They backed him as their #1 when they have the perfect opportunity this past off-season to finally move on from him.

So if Fleury's play costs the Pens yet another playoff, it's on their heads for sticking with him instead of going in another direction.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
If Fleury flops (again), I don't feel the least bit sorry for Shero/Bylsma. They backed him as their #1 when they have the perfect opportunity this past off-season to finally move on from him.

So if Fleury's play costs the Pens yet another playoff, it's on their heads for sticking with him instead of going in another direction.

Amen

These guys are going to give me an ulcer. :laugh:

Two choices to numb it all: Kool-aid or pills and alcohol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad