Proposal: 2013 "Top it" trade thread

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I'd go all in on Iggy. We have the assets that a rebuilding team would accept dealing a player on an expiring contract.

If Shero is confident he can resign him, I'd go Benett+TK+Despres/Dumoulin/Harrington+1st.

Giving up way too much. Especially for a forward. As we saw in the Philly series, we had little issues scoring goals. Keeping them out however...

I like Reghr, however think that he'll cost too much (salary/term) for what he'll bring over the term he'll get. Murray might be an option if he's cheap. He's 2.5m/1yr. Then there's Bryan Allen, however I think if Shero wanted him, he would have tried to sign him, vs trading for him. Scudari is a FA this July. However not sure how much better/effective he'll be over Michalek. But that's something I'm sure Shero will look into. My favorite is still Jan Hedja - however am not sure if there's any willingness for Colorado to move him.

Hottubber

Feb 9, 2010
We wish. You'd have to throw a good prospect in that deal. You won't get a good D on an affordable hit for Kennedy.

WhileI think something small needs to be added to TK, Im not sure Sharks fans are as high on Murray are as pens fans. TK would probably slot into their 3rd line with Handzus and either Galiardi or possibly Burrish

TK + Strait + 4th

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
In a second although we might not need to add the pick since Strait is pretty much NHL ready. Murray's not the end-all but he'd definitely shore up our D and fill a need. If all it took to get him was Strait + TK, that would be more than fair IMO.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
So we get rid of a defenseman b/c he wasn't comfortable in our system, so our plan is to bring in a far less mobile defenseman to help replace him?

I think our answers to our defensive woes are in coaching and what we have in the system. Give Bortuzzo a top 6 spot. Why Murray?

Hottubber

Feb 9, 2010
So we get rid of a defenseman b/c he wasn't comfortable in our system, so our plan is to bring in a far less mobile defenseman to help replace him?

I think our answers to our defensive woes are in coaching and what we have in the system. Give Bortuzzo a top 6 spot. Why Murray?

I like Murray but I think his mobility is why some sharks fans get pissed with him. The problem with bringing in d-men that arent overly mobile is no one knows how they will react to DB's system.

I have no problem with rolling Bort & Engelland as a 3rd pairing but if that doesnt work out, we are going to have to go the trade route cause Strait, Lovejoy, Reese etc are going to be any better.

I think both DB & Shero are fairly high on Bortuzzo. It was either this past deadline or the one before where I believe Shero was asked to include him in a package but did not want to part with him.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Hits and Blocks like a MF and can drop in a few points without being a minus machine. He's also cheap relatively speaking.

Hottubber

Feb 9, 2010
Hits and Blocks like a MF and can drop in a few points without being a minus machine. He's also cheap relatively speaking.

Its really funny watching him destroy somebody with a hit then watching him try and get back in the play. It looks like he is working hard but not going anywhere :laugh:

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Murray's mobility is an issue, IMO, but for the reason we need him, he'd fill a huge hole. We could use a guy who is difficult to play against down low and in front of the net, and can munch PK mins.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Its really funny watching him destroy somebody with a hit then watching him try and get back in the play. It looks like he is working hard but not going anywhere :laugh:

Murray's mobility is an issue, IMO, but for the reason we need him, he'd fill a huge hole. We could use a guy who is difficult to play against down low and in front of the net, and can munch PK mins.

All correct. I'd be happy to see him on this team going into the playoffs. We've seen how useless mobility without sandpaper is on this D the last couple years.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Bortuzzo can do those things, doesn't cost anything and knows our system. Unless we're trading for a sure fire upgrade over Martin in the top 4. I say we stand pat on D.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
And that's where I come from too. Hal Gill, year after year, proves how effective guys like him are in the playoffs when refs swallow their whistles, and he has like 5 years on Murray. And let's be honest, no one is slower than Gill.

You put Murray out there in crucial situations, and just have him keep the box completely clear because you cannot stand in there without him viciously hammering on you. We need to become harder to play against defensively. I think Shero solved the problem offensively bringing in Glass. He'll help the cause tremendously.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
And that's where I come from too. Hal Gill, year after year, proves how effective guys like him are in the playoffs when refs swallow their whistles, and he has like 5 years on Murray. And let's be honest, no one is slower than Gill.

You put Murray out there in crucial situations, and just have him keep the box completely clear because you cannot stand in there without him viciously hammering on you. We need to become harder to play against defensively. I think Shero solved the problem offensively bringing in Glass. He'll help the cause tremendously.

Which shocks me... because that is what Bylsma DID when he first came in to Pittsburgh. It was all about playing tough and being hard to play against. Now we are pretty simple to play against.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Which shocks me... because that is what Bylsma DID when he first came in to Pittsburgh. It was all about playing tough and being hard to play against. Now we are pretty simple to play against.

Oh...you've been downgraded

And this team sort of got away with what it was doing. I mean, the regime under MT, you wanted guys like Gill and Scuderi. That's how the team played. DB comes in, and rightfully wants to push the pace, you need the personnel to do that. I mean, a guy like Gill or Scuderi who can play that way and push the pace...you're looking at a 7 million dollar defenseman.

Maybe DB tones the system down, or he does some creative things to be able to keep the pace of his gameplan, but have a stalwart back there to keep things clean.

dogthateats

May 26, 2011
discord.gg
I think that the pens could use a player who has some offensive creativity like Bennett to play with Crosby. I don't know if Bennett is ready or not but a more mature player with the same skillset would help us more than another grinder imo.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I'd go all in on Iggy. We have the assets that a rebuilding team would accept dealing a player on an expiring contract.

If Shero is confident he can resign him, I'd go Benett+TK+Despres/Dumoulin/Harrington+1st.

:noway:

WAY WAY WAY too much to pay for Iggy. MAYBE the Iggy of 7-8 years ago but now? Not a chance.

I wouldn't mind offering that price for Perry though...Bennett+TK+Dumoulin+3rd would be a great return for them. He's about the only big star that I would think is worth going after. Perry and Parise are the only ideal Sid wingers I ever took seriously. Missed one...maybe be the other?

Other than that: Setoguchi, Clowe, Kulemin are my targets. I think anyone of them could really fill the gap we have at a decent price.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Interesting...

Seems there are very much diverging opinions as to whether my supposed trades are giving too much or too little. Probably a good sign :).

Just one thing though, to those talking about Bortuzzo on the second pairing... makes no difference to me if you flip those second and third pairings, if Gonchar/Bortuzzo works better for you as a third :). That's just how it came out after I'd been capgeeking.... and yes, that is a verb in 2013.

The only thing I cannot understand at all is why anyone would be opposed to dealing Niskanen for Setoguchi if we get the chance.
Yes Nisky is a nice player and had a better season than Seto last year, but he is certainly not a first pairing D-man and we have replacements for him coming out of our *****.

Setoguchi is a speedy winger who plays physical and has a RH shot. Last year was his only full NHL season where he didn't get to 20 goals (he got 19) and he played on one of the lowest scoring teams in the league, that went a very long stretch virtually without top6 centers and missed 13 games to injury.

At 26 years of age... with us having no assets to bring in bonafide, current elite players, how is that not exactly the kind of guy we should target?

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Interesting...

Seems there are very much diverging opinions as to whether my supposed trades are giving too much or too little. Probably a good sign :).

Just one thing though, to those talking about Bortuzzo on the second pairing... makes no difference to me if you flip those second and third pairings, if Gonchar/Bortuzzo works better for you as a third :). That's just how it came out after I'd been capgeeking.... and yes, that is a verb in 2013.

The only thing I cannot understand at all is why anyone would be opposed to dealing Niskanen for Setoguchi if we get the chance.
Yes Nisky is a nice player and had a better season than Seto last year, but he is certainly not a first pairing D-man and we have replacements for him coming out of our *****.

Setoguchi is a speedy winger who plays physical and has a RH shot. Last year was his only full NHL season where he didn't get to 20 goals (he got 19) and he played on one of the lowest scoring teams in the league, that went a very long stretch virtually without top6 centers and missed 13 games to injury.

At 26 years of age... with us having no assets to bring in bonafide, current elite players, how is that not exactly the kind of guy we should target?

He'd be every bit of an impact player here as Neal was last year. If we can afford to lose Nisky with another trade or a young guy stepping up, then you absolutely pull the trigger.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
I doubt we'll see any camp invites with the Pens because of the ridiculously short camp and lack of roster spots available to compete for. Probably just take a look at guys like Bennett and Tangradi etc. instead of UFA camp invites.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Guys like Setoguchi and Kulemin aren't automatic upgrades on what we already have, they are reclamation projects. You don't waste assets on those. You do like Ottawa did and you sign a guy like Guillaume Latendresse. If Seto and Kulemin are all that we can get, I hope we keep our assets and stick with what we have.

Sure, they have more talent than guys like Kennedy and Dupuis, but Kennedy and Dupuis have proven they can be succesful in our system and Dupuis in particular showed that he can produce top 6 numbers. He isn't an ideal top 6 winger, but he is a know commodity. We know what he'll give us and that's quality hockey. With Kulemin and Setoguchi? They could continue to suck just like they have done for the past two years. I would sign them as UFAs, but I wouldn't trade for them, not at the cost of guys like Nisaken and Kennedy.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Setoguchi has had a 20+ goal pace since entering the league, he's not a reclamation project.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad