Proposal: 2013 "Top it" trade thread

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
I think this is different from our line-up thread, and suggest that we have a thread for suggestions on how to create the behemoth we all want. Not to say that individual proposals should be moved here, but just to keep some most out of the line-up thread where we discuss the players we actually have.

So, I'll go first.

Trade Niskanen to Minnesota for Setoguchi. I think it solves a need for both sides and is pretty even considering positions and contracts. Perhaps we need to add something minor. Lets say Ruopp for kicks.

Trade a second (not like we ever get anything from those) and Lovejoy to the Sens for Gonchar.

Trade Harrington and Kennedy to Toronto for Kulemin.

FORWARDS
Chris Kunitz ($3.725m) / Sidney Crosby ($8.700m) / Devin Setoguchi ($3.000m)
James Neal ($5.000m) / Evgeni Malkin ($8.700m) / Nikolai Kulemin ($2.800m)
Matt Cooke ($1.800m) / Brandon Sutter ($2.067m) / Pascal Dupuis ($1.500m)
Tanner Glass ($1.100m) / Joe Vitale ($0.550m) / Eric Tangradi ($0.726m)
Craig Adams ($0.675m) / Dustin Jeffrey ($0.575m) /

DEFENSEMEN
Brooks Orpik ($3.750m) / Kris Letang ($3.500m)
Sergei Gonchar ($5.500m) / Robert Bortuzzo ($0.525m)
Paul Martin ($5.000m)/ Deryk Engelland ($0.567m)
Brian Strait ($0.605m)

Goaltenders
Marc-Andre Fleury ($5.000m)
Tomas Vokoun ($2.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $70,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $67,364,333; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $2,835,667

For 2013/2014 we trade Martin for futures or buy him out if this is difficult, and we should have few problems getting compliant with Sarge either being gone or resigned cheaply, and quite a few prospects likely to be ready.

Still enough money left for a D add-on at the deadline if deemed necessary/kids haven't taken over.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I can't see Burke moving Kumy for that package.

Leafs can't afford to give up any top line talent and they have enough grinders in the TK mold.

Acquiring Kumy would require a huge overpayment. Think BB + Kunitz.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I don't think Nisky gets us Seto. They'd say no pretty quickly. If we do find a trade to land him, i'd love to see us trade Kennedy for Murray in San Jose. That seems to be the perfect trade this season.

sauce66871

Dec 14, 2011
Setoguchi isn't that good. I think people underestimate how good Jeffrey is, I think he would have more success in the top 6 then Dupuis, Tangradi, Cooke or Kennedy.

I love the idea of Gonchar coming back, even to play bottom pairing minutes but on the top PP.

Plus, after missing the boat on Parise or Suter, if the Pens are going to drop a good pick and a good prospect, why not go balls deep and pull Iginla? That would be the move I would expect to see. We have the cap room, he has to want to win now in the twilight of his career (see Billy G.) The move would take a lot, but as far as picks and defensive prospects, I'm not sure what it would take, but it would be awesome.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Setoguchi isn't that good. I think people underestimate how good Jeffrey is, I think he would have more success in the top 6 then Dupuis, Tangradi, Cooke or Kennedy.

I love the idea of Gonchar coming back, even to play bottom pairing minutes but on the top PP.

Plus, after missing the boat on Parise or Suter, if the Pens are going to drop a good pick and a good prospect, why not go balls deep and pull Iginla? That would be the move I would expect to see. We have the cap room, he has to want to win now in the twilight of his career (see Billy G.) The move would take a lot, but as far as picks and defensive prospects, I'm not sure what it would take, but it would be awesome.

Everyone overlooks Jeffrey, but all he does is produce. He just has a knack for quietly racking up points.

I'm not giving up on him, or Strait, Bortuzzo, Tangradi, etc.

All four of them have the potential to help this team.

SuburbanRhythm

WorldClassJagoff
May 6, 2002
Pittsburgh
Visit site

I'm all aboard here, but I think it's Iginla's call if he wants to leave Calgary.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I can't see Burke moving Kumy for that package.

Leafs can't afford to give up any top line talent and they have enough grinders in the TK mold.

Acquiring Kumy would require a huge overpayment. Think BB + Kunitz.
Didn't Kulemin finish last year on the third line for them though? I think something like Tangradi and TK for Kulemin and a 3rd might work.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Murray is a lot of what we could use here. I'd support going after him and Setoguchi. I am a pretty big fan of Setoguchi because of what he brings here. You put him on that left wall with his right shot, where he can rip shots, we're going to click well on the powerplay. He also has the speed to keep up with Sid, which is huge.

If I had to pick a James Neal type pickup for us, it'd be Setoguchi. I think he'd put up ridiculous numbers here.

Glamor Toad

Jun 30, 2009
Poitiers
Murray is a lot of what we could use here. I'd support going after him and Setoguchi. I am a pretty big fan of Setoguchi because of what he brings here. You put him on that left wall with his right shot, where he can rip shots, we're going to click well on the powerplay. He also has the speed to keep up with Sid, which is huge.

If I had to pick a James Neal type pickup for us, it'd be Setoguchi. I think he'd put up ridiculous numbers here.

I'll prefice this with saying that I am partial to big, physical defensemen. When I saw Murray's name flying around I thought that it was a great idea - I thought that he had exactly what we were missing on the D. But after reading up on his last two seasons (really, every season after his sophmore effort), it seems like he doesn't really bring anything that we would like to the table.

http://www.fearthefin.com/2012/5/24/3040236/2011-2012-san-jose-sharks-season-review-douglas-murray

That said, I don't have any better ideas for a crease-clearing D (that we could both have the assets and cap space to acquire).

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Really dislike the Seto deal. We finally turn Nisky around, he's playing well on a D that needs help, he's cheap... and we're going to trade him for a potential head-case and make our D even more thin / reliant on rookies or old FA? No thanks. Our offensive needs are not that dire. People keep forgetting Sid scored 50G with Kunitz and Dupuis. I bet he'd score 40+ with Jeffrey and Dupuis (not that I'm suggesting Jeffrey, just making a point -- Sid is not reliant on having a goal scorer to produce a ton of offense). Same if you'd suggested Stewart or one of the other underachievers who've had multiple second chances. If we're going to trade for a winger, let's do it right, pay up and get someone we KNOW will be a great fit (Clowe, Perry, Ryan, etc). That 2013 pick should be in play IMO; teams will covet them more especially if you trade before the playoff picture is known.

Harrington and Kennedy for Kulemin isn't terrible ... people seem to really like Harrington and we're loaded with prospects. If they'd go for that deal there are probably other combos of D prospects we could use without giving up a kid who seems to be a sure thing. Maybe trade Elmer and TK for Kulemin, if Elmer doesn't make the team.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Honestly, Robyn Regehr is the type of guy we need. I'd pair him with Letang, and let that be our 1st pair. Not entirely sure what he'll sign for this offseason though. He's on the wrong side of 30, especially considering the way he's played.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
The deal that keeps bouncing around in my head is, how do we get Ryan Clowe from teh Sharks, who WILL have to do some financial maneuvering this summer and may be close to rebuilding? Not sure if Martin would be of interest to them but I'd send Martin + 1st, to SJ if they'd do that. I think he might be gettable for a Kunitz-like price because his numbers are about the same as Kunitz' and he's a similar style of player.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Honestly, Robyn Regehr is the type of guy we need. I'd pair him with Letang, and let that be our 1st pair. Not entirely sure what he'll sign for this offseason though. He's on the wrong side of 30, especially considering the way he's played.

I wouldn't have a problem with Regehr on a 2-3 year deal except that he's already at $4M and that's not likely to go down. However the trade cost might be pretty low because he's UFA and Buffalo also will have some financial maneuvering this summer (like the Sharks).

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Yeah, and that's a risky game to play with a guy who is 32 years old, and has been a really physical player over the course of his career.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Thinking he might be in the same situation as Orpik, but more expensive. Physical but slowing down more quickly than his peers who have played a less physical game. Then again an extra 5 months off to heal and rest... could help that situation for the next year or two.

gopens66

Hop in the Cordoba, Baby, we're goin' bowlin!
May 25, 2006
Altoona,Pa
I would really like for Shero to work out a deal and acquire Kulemin but not at the expense of Harrington. This kid is a stud

Yeah, I don't think I give up Harrington for Kulemin. I would, however, throw him in the mix for Iginla, Perry, or Ryan.

But, as mentioned before, the Pens' problem last season was not scoring goals, but preventing them. I really like the Regehr idea. Has he had any significant injuries lately in his career?

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Didn't Kulemin finish last year on the third line for them though? I think something like Tangradi and TK for Kulemin and a 3rd might work.

Burke claimed there was a lot of interest in Kumy at the deadline and The Star reported he was offered a 1st and turned it down.

From what I gather, you would have to knock his socks off to land Kumy. Guys like Harrington, TK, and Tangradi are add ons to finish off deals, not central pieces.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I'd go all in on Iggy. We have the assets that a rebuilding team would accept dealing a player on an expiring contract.

If Shero is confident he can resign him, I'd go Benett+TK+Despres/Dumoulin/Harrington+1st.

Hottubber

Feb 9, 2010
I'd go all in on Iggy. We have the assets that a rebuilding team would accept dealing a player on an expiring contract.

If Shero is confident he can resign him, I'd go Benett+TK+Despres/Dumoulin/Harrington+1st.

Thats a pretty heavy price to pay. Thats something I would not do IMO. Bennet probably isnt going to help this year but next year he could be on the opening night roster. TK is what he is. D/D/H will all be NHL D-men and a 1st in the best draft since 03 perhaps?

I realize there are a lot of what-ifs in the package you proposed, but I would much rather put an offer like that to get Perry.

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
One thing I didn't miss was the Kulemin talk. He isn't an upgrade over any of our top-6 guys. Trading for him would be stupid, especially at the cost of Harrington...

I agree. He is the 3rd wheel on the KHL M&M line. Just about on par with TK's scoring rate (which is pretty good BTW), but not worth trading assets for. Pens need to offload 4th liners Tanner Glass and Adams IMO.

If we want to talk about acquiring Mozy for nothing, then we have a thread. He is the sniper we've been looking for. Good players can be acquired outside the NHL.

The proposed Igilna trade would ultimately bankrupt the Pens again in 4-5 years. It is a terrible trade...then he threw a 1st on top of all those prospects.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad