Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 206 Weegar FLA

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
So Guentzel cleans up 6 easy breasy to jump ALL the way up to the early first round. What a great find by the Pens that helped them win TWO Stanley Cups. Cant ask for much more from a 77th overall pick. Anyways 7 is next, who ya got??

1 Mackinnon COL (+/-) 97% 2013 reDraft #1
2 Barkov FLA (+/-) 65% 2013 reDraft #2
3 Jones NASH (+1) 94% 2013 reDraft #3
4 Horvat VAN (+5) 35% 2013 reDraft #4
5 ANA Theodore (+21) 45% 2013 reDraft #5
6 PITTS Guentzel (+71) 46% 2013 reDraft #6

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018
For all the flack Monahan gets for “not being a true 1C” which way very well be true he’s better than Guentzel. People just Stat watching there.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Come on now...

He was on pace for another 40 g and a 80 + pt season.

He is tied for Panarin for 8th in goal production amongst wingers over the past two seasons while playing 20+ games less than most of the players above him. He’s 8th in the league overall amongst all forwards that played 82+ games over the past two seasons for GPG.

Last edited:

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
He was on pace for another 40 g and a 80 + pt season.

He is tied for Panarin for 8th in goal production amongst wingers over the past two seasons while playing 20+ games less than most of the players above him.

Wasn't Draisaitl rocking a 2.0 PPG for like the first month and a half last season? He finished with only 110 points. Laine could score 70+ goals if every month was November for him. Monahan is the right choice there imo.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Wasn't Draisaitl rocking a 2.0 PPG for like the first month and a half last season? He finished with only 110 points. Laine could score 70+ goals if every month was November for him. Monahan is the right choice there imo.

He had 40-36-76 the year before so him pacing for a slight better year seems reasonable.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA

Guentzel has been at a 33 G/pg throughout his career and that is excluding his ridiculous playoff numbers.

He also literally had the same pace last year. He had a slight bump in his offensive production likely because he had better linemates on the RW than Dominik Simon and Jared McCann.

If anything, y’all are proving you don’t watch the game. Guentzel is an absolute force and probably the first player we (Pens fans) have seen that thinks the game near the level of Crosby.

His off season in 17-18 was largely due to Sullivan forcing him into the 3C role for a sustained amount of time as well as in a 3rd line role to “balance depth” while also partially adjusting to a sophomore season.

Other than that season, he has largely been the player he has paced at this year over his career and in the playoffs.

Last edited:

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
He had 40-36-76 the year before so him pacing for a slight better year seems reasonable.

Even if it's reasonable to assume he can be a ppg player moving forward, Monahan's been a pretty consistent top line center from his D+2 season onwards. Not necessarily elite, but still a much more valuable position than a good winger unless perhaps your team already has a Crosby or Malkin up front, which most teams don't. Quite simply put, Monahan has played more than twice the games at the NHL level to contribute to his team at this point. You have to respect that, and the relative and respectable consistency he's brought with his production.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Even if it's reasonable to assume he can be a ppg player moving forward, Monahan's been a pretty consistent top line center from his D+2 season onwards. Not necessarily elite, but still a much more valuable position than a good winger unless perhaps your team already has a Crosby or Malkin up front, which most teams don't. Quite simply put, Monahan has played more than twice the games at the NHL level to contribute to his team at this point. You have to respect that, and the relative and respectable consistency he's brought with his production.

Guentzel has more goals than Monahan has pts in the playoffs. Let’s not pretend Monahan hasn’t had an elite playmaker riding shotgun with him for nearly all of his seasons and has produced at a much worse clip when away from him. Although I’m not a big fan of WOWY.

Monahan is a fringe 1C and a 2C on a cup contender.

Guentzel is top line LW on like 28 teams in the league.

Last edited:

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
Guentzel has more goals than Monahan has pts in the playoffs. Let’s not pretend Monahan hasn’t had an elite playmaker riding shotgun with him for nearly all of his seasons and has produced at a much worse clip when away from him. Although I’m not a big fan of WOWY.

The numbers were impressive in the playoffs for the two cup runs, but those teams were stacked and ran over the competition. The last two seasons he's got 4 points in 8 playoff games, not much of a difference to Monahan's production of late in the playoffs of 10 pts in 15 games. Regardless, I'll reiterate it again.. I'll draft the average 1C over a late blooming winger any day.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Yeah, it seems quite evident that Guentzel is underrated. That's almost the stigmata of playing with Crosby.

If you're playing with Crosby, you're automatically Pascal Dupuis or Max Talbot

Guentzel is by far the best Winger Crosby has played with (outside of Recchi)

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
The numbers were impressive in the playoffs for the two cup runs, but those teams were stacked and ran over the competition. The last two seasons he's got 4 points in 8 playoff games, not much of a difference to Monahan's production of late in the playoffs of 10 pts in 15 games. Regardless, I'll reiterate it again.. I'll draft the average 1C over a late blooming winger any day.

Guentzel wasn’t on the 15-16 squad.

I suggest you go watch his highlights. He is a two-way winger that would likely be a 30g 30a guy regardless of who his pivot is.

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
Guentzel wasn’t on the 15-16 squad.

I suggest you go watch his highlights. He is a two-way winger that would likely be a 30g 30a guy regardless of who his pivot is.

Ah right, he came in after the first cup. I'm not saying he's a bad player, I'm saying he's a good late blooming winger that a team shouldn't draft over a 1C/good 2C. It's just general logic that you'd want the player that can contribute at the more important position at an earlier time than a winger who doesn't hit his stride in the NHL until his mid 20's.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Ah right, he came in after the first cup. I'm not saying he's a bad player, I'm saying he's a good late blooming winger that a team shouldn't draft over a 1C/good 2C. It's just general logic that you'd want the player that can contribute at the more important position at an earlier time than a winger who doesn't hit his stride in the NHL until his mid 20's.

Guentzel was the best winger on a cup winner and is trending towards a regular 70-80 pt guy.

I mean, I’m glad Monahan had a couple seasons playing 1C on an underachieving roster, but in reality most GMs are taking Jake ahead of him.

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
I think there’s often a bit too much emphasis placed on recent play in these re-drafts. Monahan had 4 seasons where he scored atleast 20 goals before Guentzel even played a game in the NHL.

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018
Guentzel was the best winger on a cup winner and is trending towards a regular 70-80 pt guy.

I mean, I’m glad Monahan had a couple seasons playing 1C on an underachieving roster, but in reality most GMs are taking Jake ahead of him.

No they’re not lmao, even if Jake was the better or more valuable player (which imo he isn’t), gms would take the 6’3 C who puts up the points over a top 6 winger every day of the week

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad