Proposal: 2013 Offseason: UFAs, Trades, and Potential Buyouts | Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Section ThirtyOne

Feb 19, 2009
Kitchener-Waterloo
Canucks put Ballard on waivers.

Should we take him for free? $4.2 million this year and next. I think he is still a serviceable defenseman and we have cap space to burn.

Methot - Karlsson
Cowen - Ballard
Phillips - Wiercioch
Gryba
Borowiecki

WhiteLight*

Ballard is trash and not better than Phillips or Wiercioch. I've said it before and I'll say it again, the grass is not always greener on the other side.

Tkachuk27

Nov 30, 2011
Ballard is trash and not better than Phillips or Wiercioch. I've said it before and I'll say it again, the grass is not always greener on the other side.

Agree on Wiercioch ...Philips not so much I take Ballard over Philips anyday

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Keith Ballard, Ian White, and Tom Gilbert are all second pairing offensive defensemen who should all be available this offseason and could be good fits in Ottawa.

1. All of them made between 3.0 and 4.2 million last season. White won't be re-signed by Detroit and Ballard and Gilbert will both probably be bought out.

2. They're all coming off bad seasons. Ballad had 2 points, White 4, and Gilbert 13 points.

3. They've all shown high offensive potential with good offensive seasons in the past: Ballard had 39 points on year, White 32 in 77 games, and Gilbert 45.

4. White and Gilbert are right handed shots that play the right side while Ballard is a leftie who has played both sides.

5. All three are about 200lbs, though Gilbert is taller than Ballard and White by about 4 inches.

6. They're all either 29 or 30 years old.

Assuming they're all looking for between 2.5 and 3.5 million dollars, which of them would you like as a Senator?

Powdered Toast Man

Is he a ham?
Nov 22, 2005
Keith Ballard, Ian White, and Tom Gilbert are all second pairing offensive defensemen who should all be available this offseason and could be good fits in Ottawa.

1. All of them made between 3.0 and 4.2 million last season. White won't be re-signed by Detroit and Ballard and Gilbert will both probably be bought out.

2. They're all coming off bad seasons. Ballad had 2 points, White 4, and Gilbert 13 points.

3. They've all shown high offensive potential with good offensive seasons in the past: Ballard had 39 points on year, White 32 in 77 games, and Gilbert 45.

4. White and Gilbert are right handed shots that play the right side while Ballard is a leftie who has played both sides.

5. All three are about 200lbs, though Gilbert is taller than Ballard and White by about 4 inches.

6. They're all either 29 or 30 years old.

Assuming they're all looking for between 2.5 and 3.5 million dollars, which of them would you like as a Senator?

This player does not cost any assets to obtain? I take Gilbert.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
My guess is that the Sens will probably re-sign Benoit, but I would go with the bigger Gilbert as a serviceable depth player.

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
michalek for bieksa. Straight up. Opinions?

canucks save some cap space and sens save 1M in salary (and then bieksa's salary goes down over the next two years). Sens fill the 2nd pairing RD slot, canucks can promote tanev and maybe keep ballard around instead of buying him out.

only hitch is bieksa's NTC.

fringie

May 20, 2013
Kanata
My guess is that the Sens will probably re-sign Benoit, but I would go with the bigger Gilbert as a serviceable depth player.

Agreed on Benoit resigned. Gilbert is RH shot, so if price is right, he is good fit here, we need another right shot D for next season as it stands now. Can't count on Ceci to take that spot, still young, needs experience. However, as our budget stands (I hear it so many times, and from BM himself too,:(), we will keep Benoit.

fringie

May 20, 2013
Kanata

I will do that, why would VAN do that though? Bieksa is arguably their best D most nights. And it creates a hole in our top line, then BM has to go get another top line guy to play with Spezza, meaning... more money, not happening.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006

canucks save some cap space and sens save 1M in salary (and then bieksa's salary goes down over the next two years). Sens fill the 2nd pairing RD slot, canucks can promote tanev and maybe keep ballard around instead of buying him out.

It's the perfect solution.......if the Sens can find someone to replace Michalek in free agency.

Robbing Peter to pay Paul, we need NHL wingers as much as we need defensemen.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
What do you guys think of ference? He can still play a top 4 d and we can possibly get him cheap. Would he be a type of guy you would want on the sens?

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
What do you guys think of ference? He can still play a top 4 d and we can possibly get him cheap. Would he be a type of guy you would want on the sens?

We aren't getting him for cheap.

Also, he's 34 years old, at that point Zidlicky should enter the conversation since he's only 36.

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
I will do that, why would VAN do that though? Bieksa is arguably their best D most nights. And it creates a hole in our top line, then BM has to go get another top line guy to play with Spezza, meaning... more money, not happening.

bieksa/hamhuis/edler/tanev, take your pick for the canucks best dman on any given night. For every bieksa fan in vancouver, there is another that is infuriated with him. His injured just as often as michalek. He's not exactly fast. His offensive production took a huge dip last season. He's not perfect, but it's a risk worth taking for us. Michalek gives them a legitimate secondary scorer to work with kesler, and someone to take the defensive load off the sedins.

On our side, yes, it creates a hole up front. It also creates an extra 1M in budget space to go fill that hole. And of course, as a pending UFA, it removes the impending question of whether we really want to re-sign michalek next summer or not.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes

Interesting. I would really consider this but I think the Nucks may want a pick coming back with Michalek only having 1 year left.

WhiteLight*

bieksa/hamhuis/edler/tanev, take your pick for the canucks best dman on any given night. For every bieksa fan in vancouver, there is another that is infuriated with him. His injured just as often as michalek. He's not exactly fast. His offensive production took a huge dip last season. He's not perfect, but it's a risk worth taking for us. Michalek gives them a legitimate secondary scorer to work with kesler, and someone to take the defensive load off the sedins.

On our side, yes, it creates a hole up front. It also creates an extra 1M in budget space to go fill that hole. And of course, as a pending UFA, it removes the impending question of whether we really want to re-sign michalek next summer or not.

Jason Garrison is Vancouver's best D.

Who is brought in to replace Michalek

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
Jason Garrison is Vancouver's best D.

Who is brought in to replace Michalek

assuming our budget is 50-55 million (last season we had ~54M on the books in the NHL, though obviously the lockout lowered that commitment)

Greening-Spezza-
Zibanejad-Turris-
Conacher-Pageau-Silfverberg
-Smith-Neil
Kassian/O'Brien

Methot-Karlsson
Cowen-Bieksa
Phillips-
Gryba

Andy
Lehner

costs: 39.575M (payroll, not cap)
+
Wiercioch (1.5M)
Condra (1.5M)
Alfie (4.5M)
= 47.075M

leaving 3-8M available for one roster spot.

Jarome Iginla come on down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad