Speculation: 2013 Offseason Thread Part III: Free Agents Suck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship*

Yeah, the "Top", aka higher profile, FAs this offseason will get grossly overpaid and are just not worth it. Not worth the money, or the cap strain, ect. The only guy I like is Weiss, but really it's not worth it at all.

I don't think a FA season has come and gone without the Rangers making a move, so I'm sure they will sign someone. Just hoping it's nothing big.

Boom Boom Geoffrion*

I don't see why we'd be the ones adding in a deal for the 7th overall.

You need to read the forum rules.

Page 9, paragraph 17

Prospects are more valuable than established NHL players. Even 22 year old top-4 dmen capable of putting up 40 points. Anyone willing to dispute this fact will be assessed 2 infractions.

:teach:

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
I'd rather trade DZ for a proven commodity than for the 7th overall, although I really, really like some of the players in (the top-10) of this draft.

Boom Boom Geoffrion*

I'd rather trade DZ for a proven commodity than for the 7th overall, although I really, really like some of the players in (the top-10) of this draft.

I'm not even certain I'm comfortable trading DZ w/ Staal's uncertainty. His eye. And the Carolina factor.

Girardi's an UFA after next year as well. Look at how much Sather's invested in dmen over the years.

Trade MDZ. Marc bolts to Carolina. Girardi gets stupid money in free-agency.

I don't think MDZ gets moved. I can see Staal being traded to Carolina though. And, they have some interesting assets as well. Especially if Sather wants to pick in the top-10 (assuming Carolina would part with it, +).

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
This is a better draft than 2010 and some of the other drafts. The Rangers need a top young forward. They should use DZ to get one. End of story.

RB, I can't disagree on the need of one more forward if/when BR is bought out (but we certainly need a scoring punch from the blueline more).

But, I just wouldn't trade MDZ for a first round pick if its not top 2-3. You get a questionable return and you get it 2-3 years from now.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Outside of top three (four, if we're highly rating this Russian kid, I don't know much about him.)

7th pick does not scream sure thing to me. If you're going to make a move, don't make it halfway.

This board usually has good instincts though. So you get the feeling either MDZ or Staal will be dealt at some point this offseason.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
Outside of top three (four, if we're highly rating this Russian kid, I don't know much about him.)

7th pick does not scream sure thing to me. If you're going to make a move, don't make it halfway.

This board usually has good instincts though. So you get the feeling either MDZ or Staal will be dealt at some point this offseason.

Well, some of this board. :laugh:

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013

Nicushkin is the big risk pick of the draft. He has the potential to be a top 5 goal scorer in the league, and it's very possible he pans out to be that. But no pick is a sure thing. He can be better than MacK and Drouin possibly, he could even go 1st overall in this draft, it's that good. That's the thing about this draft, it's deep enough that you can do that. and 7th overall isn't that far down!

nsvoyageurs

Jun 5, 2012
NS Canada
I don't think it's any question that some combination of the first 2 picks with be Jones/MacKinnon. If TBay takes Nichushkin, and we somehow get a high pick for one of our d-men, I hope Slats has a plan to jump up and grab Drouin. He will play next year, and he is dynamic.

If he somehow found a way to draft MacKinnon he could hire Trottier back as coach and I'd still love him.

Drouin I think could start next season in the NHL, but I think he needs to bulk up physically to withstand a full season. It wouldn't shock me if he gets sent down to Major Junior before the games played limit for not counting against his entry level contract and bringing him closer to unrestricted free agency kicks in. Him playing all or at least most of next season in junior would not be the worst thing for him. One possible side affect would be he goes back to junior and because he's likely dominate so much, he might get bored and fall into bad habits. His team probably won't be the top contender they were this season (depending on who returns/reports from the outside) when they won the President's (QMJHL) and Memorial Cups.

azrok22

Mar 8, 2006
With Del Zotto due for a raise next summer, now is the time to move him, if we're going to do so. A lot hinges on Staal, both related to his health and his interest in staying in NY past his contract, but something around Del Zotto for the 7th overall pick would not be the worst move in the world.

Would absolutely love to move into the top 3 and grab MacKinnon or Drouin as a core forward to build around, but I'm not sure that's realistic.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Nicushkin is the big risk pick of the draft. He has the potential to be a top 5 goal scorer in the league, and it's very possible he pans out to be that. But no pick is a sure thing. He can be better than MacK and Drouin possibly, he could even go 1st overall in this draft, it's that good. That's the thing about this draft, it's deep enough that you can do that. and 7th overall isn't that far down!

Reminds me of what we heard about Cherepanov prior to the 2007 draft. It would be nice to have a prospect like that for once.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Nichushkin looks tremendous with the very little I've see on him. Kind of reminds me of Rick Nash.

And I normally hate combine stuff. But the fact that he could only manage 8 (!!) push ups just does not sit that well with me. Not because he is weaker than he should be for his size. That's not too hard to improve...IF you have the determiation and will to do so. Beyond the strength aspect, and potentially very unfair since I don't know the kid...but that really makes me question how much work he has even had to put into getting as far as he has. And I also know there are a lot of top tier (even good pro) athletes who can get by with that. Maybe he is one. But if I am taking a kid top 10 I would want to know that they live and breathe to give everything they have to the sport.

That said the tape he's produced is still extremely tempting. Great talent.

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
Reminds me of what we heard about Cherepanov prior to the 2007 draft. It would be nice to have a prospect like that for once.

exactly. This safe pick ******** is getting redundant. I Really like McIlrath's game and cant wait for him to be in blue but.........him over Tarasenko? COME ON. Or JT Miller over Vladislav Namestnikov. We need to start with the risky picks this safe pick bs is getting really old. Our offense will go nowhere if we keep drafting passively.

McSauer

Defense Wins Games
Feb 18, 2004
Jersey City, NJ
exactly. This safe pick ******** is getting redundant. I Really like McIlrath's game and cant wait for him to be in blue but.........him over Tarasenko? COME ON. Or JT Miller over Vladislav Namestnikov. We need to start with the risky picks this safe pick bs is getting really old. Our offense will go nowhere if we keep drafting passively.

EX-ACTLY. Still shaking my head over this one...so. *******. stupid.

Championship*

People that don't want a player like McIlrath on the team after seeing the Rangers get pushed around by Boston need to get their heads checked.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Bickel-Toews-Hossa
Sharp-Handzus-Kane
Saad-Shaw-Stalberg
Kruger(C)-Bolland-Frolik

Not a big line-up. They are not the big bruising team like LA or Boston. Bolland's big hit on Nyqvist set up Seabrook's GWG in game 7. Bolland knocked out Richards yesterday. They have players who can play a physical game. Bickel is a monster when he wants to be. He can play on any line and on the PP. He will be printing money on July 5. Shaw is an annoying SOB. The West is a more physical conference. Not great depth in the middle. Young players who can skate. They don't have the skating pylons like the Rangers. Quenneville is a professional coach. Coached in the AHL. Assistant coach with the Nordiques/Avs. Head coach with the Blues,Avs and Hawks. The Rangers should look at that team. Their bottom six players.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I still like the MDZ for Burmistrov + WPG 1st 13. It helps fill a couple of holes.

Nystrom is the UFA they should target. Streit would fit on a 2 year deal.

Pyatt, Powe, Asham need to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad