Speculation: 2013 Off-Season Speculation/Be a GM Thread II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jabroni

The People's Champ
Jun 1, 2008
He did it before Torts, but hopefully with a new system and mindset of the team in place, he should have to block less shots. Still willing to do it, but hopefully less often

Hopefully that goes for the whole roster. Quite a few injured players come playoff time.

Kakko

Formerly Chytil
Mar 23, 2011
Long Island
I am all in favor of giving additional PP time to any blueliner not named Girardi, Staal, or Del Zotto.

Staal? I want him in the Powerplay. Before Moore, he was the only defender we had with a legitimate shot from the point

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I am fairly certain that we'd be violating something somewhere. Otherwise we could make Henrik the assistant vice goaltending coach for 7 million a year and pay him 800k in base salary. Only MLS has loopholes like that.

Your right.
And I think the politics of it would defeat it anyway. A ? for a whole new thread would be how would NHLPA respond to thought of player coaches. Pros and cons on both sides of the equation.

However, if it was something worth pursuing, we could petition to allow it, worst they would say is no.

If you paid Callahan like a mil as a player and 6 mil as a coach, sure, they shoot it down.

But if you looked at the numbers and said Callahan, 100% of his time as a player is 4-4.5 mil, so do 80% of his time as player and 20% of his time as supervising coach.

Pay him 3.25 mil as a player, counting vs the cap 1.75 mil as coach which does not.
Might fly.

Remember the league is looking for stuff that excites fans, and this would be something that would create buzz around the league. They might allow it just for that reason.

Still an uphill climb, odds are no, but no harm to push the idea.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
How would Callahan as player/coach excite the league? I'm a Rangers fan I couldn't care less. Do people actually get excited by the thought of seeing another teams coach do his thing?

BarbaraAlphanse

Firing Torts was my first step (in my earlier plan).

Remaining steps:

1) Hire Alain Vigneault.
2) Amnesty Brad.
3) Trade Del Zotto. My dream is for Zibanejad (but I see no reason for the Sens to do this). For Burmistrov could work. If we get Vigneault I could see the Canucks being trade partners. They need some changes, we need some changes. Maybe there is something there. Point is, trade MDZ for a talented and young 2nd line C/W.
4) Do not resign Asham. Trade Pyatt. Resign Boyle. Resign Zuccarello. Resign Clowe (for cheap and short length).
5) Call up McIlrath, Miller (at some point). Keep up Kreider. Allow Lindberg to develop in AHL with Fast.

Forwards:

Nash
Stepan
Kreider
Zuccarrello
Brassard
Callahan
Hagelin
Dorsett
Boyle
Clowe
Miller
Player we get for MDZ
Powe - 13th forward

Maybe's: Lindberg, Fast (if develop)

Defense:

Staal
McDonough
Girardi
Moore
Stralman
McIlrath
Eminger- 7th defender

Maybe's: Sauer (if a miracle happens)

Henrik
Biron

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Excellent suggestion Bern. I think we could pay Callahan say a moderate amount of money that will count a little bit on the cap, but he would be a great motivator and player coach as you suggested. Might be a little too much 'coke for pepsi' as you suggest however for my own liking. How would you suppose it would work?

I recognize the reference, but don't fully get how you mean to apply in this specific instance, unless you are inferring he would be trading off something as a player to be the dedicated coach.

While that is a risk and a danger, I don't consider it an appreciable one.
This is why I said we give him support, i.e., I meant somebody for X and Os, somebody for practices, somebody for video review, somebody like Underhill for skating.

All he needs do is coordinate all the help, any problems complain to Sather, who will remind Cally is running this part of the show. His only main responsibility besides showing up to play is running the locker room.

So yeah, with the support, I see he pulls it off.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
How would Callahan as player/coach excite the league? I'm a Rangers fan I couldn't care less. Do people actually get excited by the thought of seeing another teams coach do his thing?

But while players, including popular ones, went on to coach post career, haven't had a player coach in a long time.

Novelty of it works for league, if they wanna be smart and think outside the box.
That of course is a lot to ask people.

There would then be the inevitable comparison.
Is he doing better or worse than a non-player coach?

Kershaw

I recognize the reference, but don't fully get how you mean to apply in this specific instance, unless you are inferring he would be trading off something as a player to be the dedicated coach.

Reference was somewhat being used as if Callahan was already captain and already is a dressing room leader, so it may be a bit redundant in making him head coach. But, it is quite an interesting standpoint to pay him half cap say 4mil as coach and 1 mil as player. 1mil cap hit. Helps the team and the player. Good thinking Bern.

While that is a risk and a danger, I don't consider it an appreciable one.
This is why I said we give him support, i.e., I meant somebody for X and Os, somebody for practices, somebody for video review, somebody like Underhill for skating.

Definitely. Underhill would make an excellent assistant coach to work with players skating ability. Skating is very integral in today's league. She can also work on the bench as a motivator.

All he needs do is coordinate all the help, any problems complain to Sather, who will remind Cally is running this part of the show. His only main responsibility besides showing up to play is running the locker room.

So yeah, with the support, I see he pulls it off.

Agreed.

Clown Fiesta

Aug 15, 2005
Montana
Reference was somewhat being used as if Callahan was already captain and already is a dressing room leader, so it may be a bit redundant in making him head coach. But, it is quite an interesting standpoint to pay him half cap say 4mil as coach and 1 mil as player. 1mil cap hit. Helps the team and the player. Good thinking Bern.

Definitely. Underhill would make an excellent assistant coach to work with players skating ability. Skating is very integral in today's league. She can also work on the bench as a motivator.

Agreed.

She's a swell gal.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
But while players, including popular ones, went on to coach post career, haven't had a player coach in a long time.

Novelty of it works for league, if they wanna be smart and think outside the box.
That of course is a lot to ask people.

There would then be the inevitable comparison.
Is he doing better or worse than a non-player coach?

Yeah I can just see it now.
Father: "Baby, get the kids dressed in their finest, we're heading to the hockey!"
Wife: "Oh honey, you know I don't like sports; and the kids have school tomorrow."
Father: "But the Rangers are in town. You know, that team with the guys who capatins and coaches."
Wife: "Hang on, a guy captains and coaches? Well this I got to see, I'll get my coat!"

There's no novelty. Outside of HF nerds (and we don't represent the 'average' fan) no one would give a hoot.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
Firing Torts was my first step (in my earlier plan).

Remaining steps:

1) Hire Alain Vigneault.
2) Amnesty Brad.
3) Trade Del Zotto. My dream is for Zibanejad (but I see no reason for the Sens to do this). For Burmistrov could work. If we get Vigneault I could see the Canucks being trade partners. They need some changes, we need some changes. Maybe there is something there. Point is, trade MDZ for a talented and young 2nd line C/W.
4) Do not resign Asham. Trade Pyatt. Resign Boyle. Resign Zuccarello. Resign Clowe (for cheap and short length).
5) Call up McIlrath, Miller (at some point). Keep up Kreider. Allow Lindberg to develop in AHL with Fast.

Forwards:

Nash
Stepan
Kreider
Zuccarrello
Brassard
Callahan
Hagelin
Dorsett
Boyle
Clowe
Miller
Player we get for MDZ
Powe - 13th forward

Maybe's: Lindberg, Fast (if develop)

Defense:

Staal
McDonough
Girardi
Moore
Stralman
McIlrath
Eminger- 7th defender

Maybe's: Sauer (if a miracle happens)

Henrik
Biron

I like this for the most part. Couple of notes:

- Asham is under contract for another season.
- Vigneault would be my second choice, but I'd be content with him — Eakins is my #1

Kakko

Formerly Chytil
Mar 23, 2011
Long Island
I like this for the most part. Couple of notes:

- Asham is under contract for another season.
- Vigneault would be my second choice, but I'd be content with him — Eakins is my #1

For the next part can we put the free agents in the op. since some people don't seem to understand that the only UFA we have is Clowe :laugh:

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Do not want to blow up the team. Depending on who the new coach is I hope they keep most of the roster.

Don't want a Richards buyout yet. It's a risk in case he gets injured and can't be bought out next year, but allowing him to sign for another team is a risk too. If he returns to the player he once was, we'll be sorry.

Lock up Steps and Hags
Sign Zuccarello for 2 years at 1,1
Sign Eminger
Do not resign Clowe.

If Richards finds his game:
Hagelin - Stepan - Nash
Zuccarello - Richards - Callahan
Kreider - Brassard- Asham
Powe - Boyle - Dorsett

McDonagh - Girardi
Staal - MDZ
Eminger - Stralman

What happened to John Moore in this scenario?

iamitter

Thornton's Hen
May 19, 2011
NYC

Agreed.

Underhill works with many teams. She won't accept a one team deal.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
Free Agency has never been good to the Rangers (outside of Gaborik) for some unknown reason, but sooner or later that has to change right??.....

Anyway, the best moves this team has come via draft (stepan, Callahan, hank) or via trade (Nash, Mcdonagh).. The ONLY people who are "untouchables" on this team outside of severe overpayment are Hank, Stepan, Nash and Mcdonagh. I believe anyone else including Callahan (thought it would have to be a SIGNIFICANT upgrade because of everything he brings to the team) could be had if it upgrades the team.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
RB, you are possibly our most knowledgeable and respected poster. I usually agree with you, so I take utmost care to qualify my conditional disagreement with you.

Hypothetically a draft pick for an existing player, at 1 for 1, assuming the only thing you are doing is getting younger, and making cap space, not much else, I see what you are saying. A guy like Miller gets here, and best case scenario he's closer to up to full speed by his second season, and that's a hard working guy with decent hockey IQ. Too many of those and you lose the window on guys like Callahan. I get it.

However, there are scenarios where we move players for picks and add depth. That should not be overlooked. We need more horses as well as improved quality. We are just catching up thanks to Gordie Clark, but I look at how well Chicago is demonstrating what I'm saying.

Then above and beyond that, is the utility of cap space which we could do if we were really careful. The cap space = temporary FAs to put us over. What do I mean?

I made a comprehensive post early on which I won't duplicate.
It suggested using McD to get the 1st overall AND convert MDZ into a talent upgrade (Duncan Siemens). Staal for 5th overall +, because that payment won't be there next year.

So, my point is if we get MULTIPLES of guys like Siemens (8th overall?) then yeah, there is still chance something can go wrong, but percentage wise, odds are still in your favor. PLUS you moved McDonagh, so you don't have to allocate pay raise. [Again, I won't do the entire thing again, but I did show we could add D with upside, guys like Maracin, Klefbom from Oilers, consider a play for Jones at 2 overall.]

So I agree, clearly this team does have good assets, but a lot of it has to go, and we need to acquire new +improved assets to do so. I don't believe, therefore, we should turn down any trade opportunity which nets enough profit for us, even if that profit is in uncertain futures, as long as the number of assets acquired and the anticipated performance of the draftee based on rank makes enough sense.

If we move enough vets for enough primo assets, we will have created cap, and can do 1 year only gamble on guys like Viktor Stralberg, etc for more upgrade.

I can't for the life of me figure out if you're trolling or if you truly believe it's a good idea to turnover this much of the roster. Those are 3 of our top 4 defensemen.

Also, it should be noted, if we trade away this much of our roster in one off season and struggle next year (which is highly likely if we overturn yet again a huge chunk of our roster) then we are basically guaranteeing that Henrik leaves next off season. He's 31 and in his prime. He doesn't have time to even play a season or two of non competing years where the kids develop.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Free Agency has never been good to the Rangers (outside of Gaborik) for some unknown reason, but sooner or later that has to change right??.....

Anyway, the best moves this team has come via draft (stepan, Callahan, hank) or via trade (Nash, Mcdonagh).. The ONLY people who are "untouchables" on this team outside of severe overpayment are Hank, Stepan, Nash and Mcdonagh. I believe anyone else including Callahan (thought it would have to be a SIGNIFICANT upgrade because of everything he brings to the team) could be had if it upgrades the team.

Free Agency is rarely good for ANY team.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
If you don't improve the team (and trading current players for "futures" is not doing that), you're basically giving Hank every reason to walk out the door next off season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad