Speculation: 2013 Off-Season Speculation/Be a GM Thread II

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
Is next season the time to let go of Ryan Callahan?

Highly injury prone player, declining possession rates and even declining PP numbers this past season.

Likely looking for a long term contract worth at a rate higher then the one he previously signed. 5-6m.

Personally, I would let him walk at all costs. Don't want to end up with a Horcoff-lite contract on the books.

What a surprise.

Let's see what he looks like after a full season with two working shoulders.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
Is next season the time to let go of Ryan Callahan?

Highly injury prone player, declining possession rates and even declining PP numbers this past season.

Likely looking for a long term contract worth at a rate higher then the one he previously signed. 5-6m.

Personally, I would let him walk at all costs. Don't want to end up with a Horcoff-lite contract on the books.

3 years, $4.5M.

If he wants more...well, then I guess he can walk. Hurts to say that, and I love Cally, but the Rangers are in no position to overpay a player that could seriously experience a Drury-like decline. I think 3 years if perfect for him.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
3 years, $4.5M.

If he wants more...well, then I guess he can walk. Hurts to say that, and I love Cally, but the Rangers are in no position to overpay a player that could seriously experience a Drury-like decline. I think 3 years if perfect for him.

Good luck with that.

His buddy Drury got a 5 year deal, he will too...from somewhere.

Kershaw

Last edited by a moderator:

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Leafs fan here in peace curious what kind of deal could be worked out for Girardi. Not sure what some of your guys needs are besides a change of style and maybe a change of faces (I like the top to bottom line up slats has assembled) gunnarson and Kulimen type guys?(quality roster players) Prospects to offer cap relief?Draft picks?
Young roster players?

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
Leafs fan here in peace curious what kind of deal could be worked out for Girardi. Not sure what some of your guys needs are besides a change of style and maybe a change of faces (I like the top to bottom line up slats has assembled) gunnarson and Kulimen type guys?(quality roster players) Prospects to offer cap relief?Draft picks?
Young roster players?

JVR, Kadri, or Gardiner+.

Kershaw

Rangers showed no interest in Antti Raanta?

Lundqvist's contract runs out in 1 season. No capable starters in the pipeline.

Here is a list of Raanta's accomplishments:

SM-liiga Best SVS% (.943)
Best Playoff Sv. Percentage in SM-liiga (.955)
SM-liiga Best GAA (1.85)
Best Playoff GAA in SM-liiga (1.33)
SM-liiga Best Goaltender "Urpo Ylönen Award"
SM-liiga Best Player in Playoffs "Jari Kurri Award"
SM-liiga Best Player of Regular Season "Lasse Oksanen Award"
SM-liiga Champion
World Championship Top 3 Player on Team
SM-liiga All-Star Team 12/13

WC Stats:

7 GP .928 Sv%, 2.09 GAA

Lundqvist-lite Pre-NHL resume.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
If you count to 7,one of the top forwards will be available. Whether its the Russian Finn or the Russian kid or the Swede or Monahan,one of them will be there. There are players in this draft who will be playing in the league in 13-14. Some people have such a narrow view. The Rangers can't trade DZ for futures because the Rangers need to win right now. Look at the Rangers roster. They aren't winning with this offense. Look at the remaining teams. Sather has. Don't look at free agency. Henrik is 31. He signs an 8 year extension. It takes him to 40. The young player the Rangers take at #7 will be a Ranger for the next 9 years of Henrik's career.

RB, you are possibly our most knowledgeable and respected poster. I usually agree with you, so I take utmost care to qualify my conditional disagreement with you.

Hypothetically a draft pick for an existing player, at 1 for 1, assuming the only thing you are doing is getting younger, and making cap space, not much else, I see what you are saying. A guy like Miller gets here, and best case scenario he's closer to up to full speed by his second season, and that's a hard working guy with decent hockey IQ. Too many of those and you lose the window on guys like Callahan. I get it.

However, there are scenarios where we move players for picks and add depth. That should not be overlooked. We need more horses as well as improved quality. We are just catching up thanks to Gordie Clark, but I look at how well Chicago is demonstrating what I'm saying.

Then above and beyond that, is the utility of cap space which we could do if we were really careful. The cap space = temporary FAs to put us over. What do I mean?

I made a comprehensive post early on which I won't duplicate.
It suggested using McD to get the 1st overall AND convert MDZ into a talent upgrade (Duncan Siemens). Staal for 5th overall +, because that payment won't be there next year.

So, my point is if we get MULTIPLES of guys like Siemens (8th overall?) then yeah, there is still chance something can go wrong, but percentage wise, odds are still in your favor. PLUS you moved McDonagh, so you don't have to allocate pay raise. [Again, I won't do the entire thing again, but I did show we could add D with upside, guys like Maracin, Klefbom from Oilers, consider a play for Jones at 2 overall.]

So I agree, clearly this team does have good assets, but a lot of it has to go, and we need to acquire new +improved assets to do so. I don't believe, therefore, we should turn down any trade opportunity which nets enough profit for us, even if that profit is in uncertain futures, as long as the number of assets acquired and the anticipated performance of the draftee based on rank makes enough sense.

If we move enough vets for enough primo assets, we will have created cap, and can do 1 year only gamble on guys like Viktor Stralberg, etc for more upgrade.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
JVR, Kadri, or Gardiner+.

Definitely not the Gardiner + unless there's a nice + coming back and not much else going with Gards (I value him very highly personally) but maybe kadri or JVR, would you be open to larger deal if those players are in a deal?

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
RB, you are possibly our most knowledgeable and respected poster. I usually agree with you, so I take utmost care to qualify my conditional disagreement with you.

Read the post again.

Definitely not the Gardiner + unless there's a nice + coming back and not much else going with Gards (I value him very highly personally) but maybe kadri or JVR, would you be open to larger deal if those players are in a deal?

Depends on what you mean by "larger deal". I'd do Girardi for either one of those players straight-up If you're thinking of adding Kreider or whatnot, it'd be no-dice.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
Look at the last 4 teams left: Each of them has a legit #1 defenseman, who can chip in points.
LA- Doughty
Boston- Chara (no not, Torey "God" Krug)
Pittsburgh- Letang
Chicago- Keith

We do not currently have a great 2-way defenseman of that calibre. McDonagh might become that. He certainly has the skating. But he's not there yet. How do we go about acquiring someone like that? Not an easy type of player to get.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
Keith broke out offensively at age 24 in 08-09. He had 44 points that season, coming off back to back 30 point seasons. McDonagh will be 24 this season, and he's coming off (PPG-wise) back to back 30 point seasons. I, personally, think McD has the physical talent to put up 45-55 points. He's still young. Give him PP time, and watch him blossom offensively.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Read the post again.

Depends on what you mean by "larger deal". I'd do Girardi for either one of those players straight-up If you're thinking of adding Kreider or whatnot, it'd be no-dice.
Kadri + gunnarson or roster player of your need that's ~ that value
for
Girardi + miller/Kreider

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
Kadri + gunnarson or roster player of your need that's ~ that value
for
Girardi + miller/Kreider

Actually not that bad. Seems pretty fair to me, it probably favors the Rangers, even.

Personally, though, I seriously doubt Toronto would move Kadri for a UFA to be.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
Keith broke out offensively at age 24 in 08-09. He had 44 points that season, coming off back to back 30 point seasons. McDonagh will be 24 this season, and he's coming off (PPG-wise) back to back 30 point seasons. I, personally, think McD has the physical talent to put up 45-55 points. He's still young. Give him PP time, and watch him blossom offensively.

Good point. Keith is a good comparable to McD.

One of my many complaints about Torts is that he barely gave McD any PP time, while point men like DZ and Beaver were spoonfed buckets-full of PP time. He certainly handles the puck better than DZ, skates better, and doesn't shoot wide all of the time. He also seems to have more confidence in his abilities to shoot and provide offense, which he demonstrates with that awesome side-step move on the blueline.

We really need a legit #1D. They're so important in the playoffs.

Edit: Speaking of Keith...:laugh:

Last edited:

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I am all in favor of giving additional PP time to any blueliner not named Girardi, Staal, or Del Zotto.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Yeah, I'm not expecting that kind of contract unless Callahan really wants to stay here.

I just know Sather is going to give him 5 years at $5M. :cry:

Can we solve this problem by making Cally a player coach, with support (Gernander, Sullivan, etc.) on the bench?

Not only would resolve other issues, but he'd get 1 deal as player, 1 deal as coach. Keeps overall compensation high but not ridiculous, and we can keep his player salary around 3-3.5m

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Can we solve this problem by making Cally a player coach, with support (Gernander, Sullivan, etc.) on the bench?

Not only would resolve other issues, but he'd get 1 deal as player, 1 deal as coach. Keeps overall compensation high but not ridiculous, and we can keep his player salary around 3-3.5m

I am fairly certain that we'd be violating something somewhere. Otherwise we could make Henrik the assistant vice goaltending coach for 7 million a year and pay him 800k in base salary. Only MLS has loopholes like that.

Kershaw

Excellent suggestion Bern. I think we could pay Callahan say a moderate amount of money that will count a little bit on the cap, but he would be a great motivator and player coach as you suggested. Might be a little too much 'coke for pepsi' as you suggest however for my own liking. How would you suppose it would work?

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Don't know how he's fragile. Normally he gets hurt blocking shots constantly.

He did it before Torts, but hopefully with a new system and mindset of the team in place, he should have to block less shots. Still willing to do it, but hopefully less often

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA