Speculation: 2013 Off-Season Armchair GM thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

skilks

This is nightmare
Jul 14, 2009
San Francisco
www.facebook.com
Bickell seems like this year's Ward, or Moore. bottom 6 player who benefits from playing with a familiar team and has a strong post season. We need to develop our own bottom 6. They aren't players who adjust quickly (usually).

Agreed.

Bickell is going to get a huge paycheck this summer. Whoever it is from, it's out of our price range.

Mafoofoo

Jawesome
Jul 3, 2010
Laguna Beach
Buddy and I were just joking around about options, just an insane fantasy scenario, thought I'd share.

To Penguins:
Niemi + Pavelski + conditional 2014 1st (Pavelski re-signing, 2nd if he does).

To SJ:
Malkin

Penguins need to add Letang, Crosby and a 5th to make it fair. :sarcasm:

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Guy on the Ottawa board said he wouldn't be against their #1 traded for Boyle.

#17 pick for Boyle? Seems a really good return to me.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
If I recall correctly, the Sharks had offers of a prospect and a first, and offers of a 1st, 2nd, and 2nd from Philly (or maybe it was 1st, 1st, 2nd?). I think they had an offer from the Rangers for a pick and a first? Memory is a little hazy, especially since the Sharks have been fairly busy the past 2-3 years.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
I also guarantee you that if Malkin becomes available, DW will try and get him. That would certainly reset the clock, no?

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Yeah, Him and 28 other GMs.

Nope. Plenty of GMs won't be able to afford his contract. Many others will say "we are rebuilding". Others like LA or Boston won't want to mess with a winning formula. Dean Lombardi, for example, would have been too cheap for Malkin no matter the team he was GM of.

DW has always been a "rich-get-richer" kind of guy. For example last year, when he aggresively targeted both Suter AND Weber. What other GM would have done that with Boyle AND Burns AND so much prospect depth on the roster while being thin up front?

DW's mentality, from my view, is "acquire the player, adjust later".

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
Nope. Plenty of GMs won't be able to afford his contract. Many others will say "we are rebuilding". Others like LA or Boston won't want to mess with a winning formula. Dean Lombardi, for example, would have been too cheap for Malkin no matter the team he was GM of.

DW has always been a "rich-get-richer" kind of guy. For example last year, when he aggresively targeted both Suter AND Weber. What other GM would have done that with Boyle AND Burns AND so much prospect depth on the roster while being thin up front?

Yah I agree, and we have things they would be interested in. Niemi, Boyle, Pavelski, etc.

Arrch

Apr 11, 2011

That will affect the degree at which they pursue him, but all but maybe a few GMs will make an offer.

Grave

Mondo Cool
Jun 23, 2009
Northern California
Bickell seems like this year's Ward, or Moore. bottom 6 player who benefits from playing with a familiar team and has a strong post season. We need to develop our own bottom 6. They aren't players who adjust quickly (usually).

That's exactly who he is and it wouldn't surprise me to see DW overpay him especially if Chicago wins.

skilks

This is nightmare
Jul 14, 2009
San Francisco
www.facebook.com
If it didn't cost the kitchen sink I would be elated to bring on Malkin.

Watching the Pens at the Tank 2 years ago I couldn't help but be amazed at how difficult it was to knock him off, or take the puck from him. Very much like a younger Thornton.

That being said, I can't see Malkin really in play. Especially not for what we would be willing to give up.

Last edited:

Mafoofoo

Jawesome
Jul 3, 2010
Laguna Beach
If it didn't cost the kitchen sink I would be elated to bring on Malkin.

Watching the Pens at the Tank 2 years ago I couldn't help but be amazed at how difficult it was to knock him off, or take the puck from him. Very much like a younger Thornton.

If we somehow could keep Marleau, Couture and Burns (since obviously Thornton will never be traded) we'd have a crazy top 6.

Marleau-Malkin-Couture
Galiardi-Thornton-Burns

WantonAbandon

Oct 16, 2011
Now that McTavish has screamed his intent regarding Hemsky and Horcoff to the world, anyone interested? I think the Sharks could use Horcoff

lsx

Oct 19, 2010
Sonoma County, CA
And you regularly seem like someone who pretends to have a bunch of scientific data on player analysis that never seems to materialize... ;)

It's always on an old computer. :sarcasm:

I agree, DW has shown that he'll lead the horse to water...getting them to drink is the problem.

WantonAbandon

Oct 16, 2011
To the depth fanatics, if the Sharks were to find a way to move Havlat. The Sharks could build a really good third line with Horcoff Pavs, and Burish

Lines would be something like

Burns Thornton TJ

Torres Couture Marleau (Marleau on wrong side sigh)

Horcoff Pavs Burish

Wingles Desi Forward X (Maybe Shep but he would be on the wrong side)

Still too much money for Horcoff

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
On the Sharks he would be a good third line center. Might even score 15 goals depending on how he is used

I think if they roll with Pavs at 3c. Horcoff at 4c can kill penalties, win faceoffs, provide a little O and play good defense. Horcoff is a good utility guy who is judged by his contract.

WantonAbandon

Oct 16, 2011
Burish on the third line? Awful. Horcoff sucks too.

No I think it would work just fine. Burish is grossly under rated here. Put him with Pavelski and Burish will score 10 goals. Horcoff would likely score 15-20. Pavs would also score 15-20.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad