2013 NHL TV Ratings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nicky Santoro

May 23, 2012
Montreal
i am more curious about the Blues/Hawks rating. 2 decent sized markets, 2 undefeated teams, no bulls game on last night, big rivalry and both teams hate each other.

i'd be so happy to see a 7.0+ for each team. i think that's not that far fetched.

goyotes

May 4, 2007
Arizona
i am more curious about the Blues/Hawks rating. 2 decent sized markets, 2 undefeated teams, no bulls game on last night, big rivalry and both teams hate each other.

i'd be so happy to see a 7.0+ for each team. i think that's not that far fetched.

It was the game I watched on Center Ice. Great game!

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Leafs-Habs game smashes record!

From the Globe and Mail

Saturday night’s eastern time zone prime-time broadcast of Hockey Night in Canada, featuring a matchup between the division rivals Montreal Canadiens and Toronto Maple Leafs, pulled in an astonishing 3,317,000 viewers. That was up16 per cent from the previous record of 2,875,000 (set April 7, 2007, when the Leafs knocked off the Canadiens to stay in the hunt for a playoff spot) and a 44 per cent rise from the same weekend in January, 2012.

Even the CBC’s half-hour pre-game broadcast attracted 2,106,000 viewers.

dont forget that doesnt account for people watching on rds. Woudnt surprise me if RDS drew 1 mil+

Do those numbers count online viewers as well?

Unless I am visiting my parents or a friend's house, I watch HNIC online (don't have cable).

Hawkscap

Jan 22, 2007
http://www.csnchicago.com/01/23/13/...t-ever-Blackhawks/landing.html?blockID=826305

COMCAST SPORTSNET DELIVERS ITS HIGHEST CHICAGO BLACKHAWKS REGULAR SEASON GAME RATING TO DATE

Last Night’s Blackhawks Home Opener vs. STL attracts over 188,000 Households on Comcast SportsNet;
#1 Highest-Rated Television Network in Chicago market from 7:30-10:15 PM for Adults 25-54

Chicago, IL (January 23, 2013) – Comcast SportsNet, the television home for the most games and most comprehensive coverage of the Chicago Blackhawks, delivered its highest Blackhawks regular season rating ever last evening (January 22) -- a 5.40 household rating for its live coverage of the Blackhawks home opener against the division rival St. Louis Blues.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Remember when some were prognosticating the irreparable damage that the lockout would cause the league, leading to a decline in attendance and viewership?

I laughed at that back then, too.

Brick City

Ignore me!
May 21, 2012
New Jersey
Anyone know the ratings from Flyers-Devils last night? I presume Philly ratings were solid period, and NYC Market ratings were good in the context that only about a quarter of the market is the target market of the team in question (i.e. compared to past Devils ratings).

From Puck the Media:

Finally, the Devils-Flyers game on Tuesday drew an 0.77 rating in the New York market. It may not seem like great shakes, but it is a record for a Devils telecast (against a team that wasn't the Rangers or Islanders) in the New York market.

http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2013/1/23/3907918/nhl-tv-ratings-2013-saturdays-regional-coverage-draws-best-nhl

The 0.77 rating represents approximately 57,000 homes in the New York media market. As you pointed out, the Devils only target a small portion of the largest market in the country, thus the rating number generally looks low. However, New Jersey's homes viewing figure is much more comparable to other mid-market teams.

By way of comparison, Buffalo's 20.1 rating represents approximately 130,000 homes. Their rating is 26 times higher than the Devils but the homes viewing is a little more than double. Not taking away from Buffalo - their ratings are a great feat that hopefully the Devils in time can accomplish.

A link to the media market sizes from Nielsen's website is below:

http://www.nielsen.com/content/dam/corporate/us/en/public%20factsheets/tv/nielsen-2012-local-DMA-TV-penetration.pdf

MartysBetterThanYou

Jan 15, 2013
New Jersey
Thanks for crunching the numbers Brick City.

I'm curious. What is your definition of mid-market vs. small market/large market? Would it be NJ, Colorado, Anaheim etc.?

scotchex

Oct 30, 2008
God I love living in a city where hockey is #1! Yes I do think the Sabres are more popular than the Bills currently and probably going forward.. Even though I'm not a Sabres fan it's always awesome being able to talk hockey with all of my friends. :)

Is part of the issue the fear that the Bills might relocate?
Seems like the Sabres are always going to be in Buffalo. If I lived there I know I'd rather invest myself in the team that I know will be there for decades to come.

Nicky Santoro

May 23, 2012
Montreal
i can't wait to see this BOS/NYR rating tomorrow. it should be impressive. no celtics, no knicks playing. bos 2-0, nyr 0-2. rangers looking for 1st win. this is a rivalry too. and it's a good game and close game to boot. i'm predicting BOS 8.6, NY 4.2

Fire Lindy

Trust the System
Jan 3, 2011
Is part of the issue the fear that the Bills might relocate?
Seems like the Sabres are always going to be in Buffalo. If I lived there I know I'd rather invest myself in the team that I know will be there for decades to come.

Not really a fear at all right now around here. It has to do more with the fact that the Bills have been bad going on 14 years now and the Sabres have had some good years. There's a whole generation growing up that has never seen a good Bills team. Bills are still #1 here though, but it could be argued that the Sabres are more popular amongst the younger crowd. I personally see more younger people wearing Sabres apparel opposed to Bills apparel.

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
i can't wait to see this BOS/NYR rating tomorrow. it should be impressive. no celtics, no knicks playing. bos 2-0, nyr 0-2. rangers looking for 1st win. this is a rivalry too. and it's a good game and close game to boot. i'm predicting BOS 8.6, NY 4.2

There's no way they I see them getting 4.2 in NY. That's about 300,000 people watching a regular-season hockey game in NY.

Nicky Santoro

May 23, 2012
Montreal
There's no way they I see them getting 4.2 in NY. That's about 300,000 people watching a regular-season hockey game in NY.

yeah, you're right. i wasn't thinking. also, they were getting that number in the playoffs last yr and it was on NBC.. this game was not on nbc and was on a cable channel and it's reg season. so i will predict 2.2. but how come teams like BUF, PIT can get 20.0 plus and even CHI and STL get close to 7.0 on cable, yet NYR can't get more than a 4 on a playoff game on NBC. i know the rangers have a big following.

BTW, it's too bad no one was able to post a STL rating vs CHI on Tuesday. we know chi was 5.4, but no one mentioned STL. i would've loved to have seen that one. i think STL would have gotten at least a 7.5. blues are starting to get a big following in STL.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
yeah, you're right. i wasn't thinking. also, they were getting that number in the playoffs last yr and it was on NBC.. this game was not on nbc and was on a cable channel and it's reg season. so i will predict 2.2. but how come teams like BUF, PIT can get 20.0 plus and even CHI and STL get close to 7.0 on cable, yet NYR can't get more than a 4 on a playoff game on NBC. i know the rangers have a big following.

New York isn't that much of a hockey market, compared to those other places.

Don't get me wrong, the Rangers have a very sizable fanbase. But the NYC market is HUGE and the Ranger fans are a small proportion of it overall. I live here. There's a lot of other sports and teams, and hockey is pretty low on the totem pole. But that's OK - you don't have to be #1 to be successful in NYC. Even if only 1% care about something, that's still a heck of a lot of people.

frivolousz21

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS ST LOUIS BLUES
May 17, 2007
St. Louis, Mo

BTW, it's too bad no one was able to post a STL rating vs CHI on Tuesday. we know chi was 5.4, but no one mentioned STL. i would've loved to have seen that one. i think STL would have gotten at least a 7.5. blues are starting to get a big following in STL.

Essentially the 1st generation of blues fans that were kids are now 60+ years old.

We had the Federko ERA early 80s.

Then the big time Hollywood drama show of the Hull ERA 88-98, but really 88-94 was the glory days of that ERA.

Then my generations(I am 30 now). 96-04 ERA with The Great One, then Pronger and so on loaded teams, no cup winners but loaded teams.

Now another ERA in blues hockey for these kids/teens with the loaded young team.

Add it all up and we are finally seeing the Big Numbers Pittsburgh get's. They just got good a bit before us with Sid and Geno during this ERA.

This is why folks need to be patient with the Southern Teams.

Hockey is growing rapidly in the USA all over a spectator Sport.

I can't even begin to describe how much more angst there was during this lockout.

Instead of empty buildings and crappy ratings, you see the reverse. Fan's don't care, they just wanted NHL hockey back all over in a bad way.

Nicky Santoro

May 23, 2012
Montreal
Mayday,

I had no idea there were such little amount of Ranger Fans in NY. i know they have so many other legend teams, but i figured in winter with no Yankees or NFL and only Knicks on, and i figured if knicks are doing so bad, that since nothing else is going on, that the majority of the city would be all over them. i guess i was wrong. Mayday, i'd love to know.. how about in 94 when they won the CUP and Messier guaranteed Gm 6, and you had Leetch, Richter, etc.. were the Rangers at least the talk of town during that era?? was hockey still big in the city, or never was?? thanks

Frivilous,

Great to hear, and that shocks me because Blues are not really that loaded up with talent and excitement. They are a defensive team that plays a lot of 2-0 games. Now Pittsburgh is lucky as hell, they have the 2 best players in the world in Sid and Malkin, they have won a cup recently, are always good and they even had the best ever in Mario for a long time and won many cups with them. Imagine if STL had all those players?? my god... i can just imagine where STL would be today. I hope they get a real star one day. And finally, it shocks me stl doing this good and caring because the Cards are so so big in STL, they win world series, they are competitive and i know STL is the biggest baseball town in the U.S.. so i am shocked they even thought of hockey.

Last edited:

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
Mayday,

I had no idea there were such little amount of Ranger Fans in NY. i know they have so many other legend teams, but i figured in winter with no Yankees or NFL and only Knicks on, and i figured if knicks are doing so bad, that since nothing else is going on, that the majority of the city would be all over them. i guess i was wrong. Mayday, i'd love to know.. how about in 94 when they won the CUP and Messier guaranteed Gm 6, and you had Leetch, Richter, etc.. were the Rangers at least the talk of town during that era?? was hockey still big in the city, or never was?? thanks

Don't get me wrong - there are a lot of Ranger fans. I'm just saying they are smaller as a percentage of people than in a lot of those other cities. Part of that is because NYC is so big.

Can't speak to 94. I moved to the area in 99. The Rangers were kind of at a low point at that time (late-90s, early 00s). They missed the playoffs 7 years in a row. They were still getting good attendance, but I remember it was always really easy to walk up to MSG on gameday and buy tickets at face value. They became more popular again after the 04-05 lockout, when they became more competitive again.

46zone

Pass me the soft pretzels
Feb 5, 2007
Philadelphia
The NHL's comeback trail on television continues to see ridiculous numbers, as the network set a ratings record for their first-ever "Rivalry Wednesday" game.

The Bruins-Rangers game, which went to overtime and was overall a pretty great game, drew 956,000 viewers, the best-ever for NBC Sports Network, VERSUS, or OLN for a regular season game. The previous record was set on opening night of the 2011-12 season, when Flyers-Bruins drew 874,000 viewers on Oct. 6.

The game also drew an 0.5 rating among adults 18-49, putting it among the top cable programs of the night. In fact, only ESPN's broadcast of Miami's stunning upset over Duke in college basketball drew a better rating among young adults, hitting an 0.6.

There'll be more on this later, as the NHL and NBC will both likely have much to gloat about, and for good reason. Not only did the league come back in a few weeks time and reach new ratings heights, they added a new "big game night" in this Wednesday rivalry thing that could prove to be successful for them in the future.

http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2013/1/...c-sports-network-sets-all-time-ratings-record

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad