2013 NHL TV Ratings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaun

Oct 12, 2010
Boston Bruins ‏@NHLBruins
.@NESN sets new Bruins reg season ratings record w/ 9.4 avg in the Boston DMA during Sat's win vs. NYR. (Previous, 8.9, 1/7/12 vs. VAN) ^BB

Azkals

Jun 15, 2012
Record weekend.

Strong Day 2 'NHL on NBC' overnight. Phi-Buf does 1.4, tied for highest SUNDAY reg-seasON o'night in 13yrs (ABC, 3gm regional, 1.5, 3/26/00)

1.4 overnight for yesterday's gm +27% vs. comparable coverage last year. Previous tweet should have said 'excluding Winter Classics'

22.3 rating for Buffalo was market's best-ever on NBC for reg-season game (since 2006), excluding Winter Classics.

Fire Lindy

Trust the System
Jan 3, 2011
Gotta love Pitt and Buffalo..always killing it in local ratings. I predicted earlier in this thread that the strong markets would see an increase in ratings.

What about ratings for the teams that don't do so well usually in ratings?

zman

Oct 10, 2005
Maryland, USA
Well, NBC certainly pays attention when they scheduled Pitt, Philly and Buffalo for their opening weekend national games. Those cities never let you down for ratings.

ford42

Dec 12, 2012
Madison,WI
this is great to see, we just need to the number to progressively get better! These numbers need to be a new standard!!!

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Leafs-Habs game smashes record!

From the Globe and Mail

Saturday night’s eastern time zone prime-time broadcast of Hockey Night in Canada, featuring a matchup between the division rivals Montreal Canadiens and Toronto Maple Leafs, pulled in an astonishing 3,317,000 viewers. That was up16 per cent from the previous record of 2,875,000 (set April 7, 2007, when the Leafs knocked off the Canadiens to stay in the hunt for a playoff spot) and a 44 per cent rise from the same weekend in January, 2012.

Even the CBC’s half-hour pre-game broadcast attracted 2,106,000 viewers.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Leafs-Habs game smashes record!

From the Globe and Mail

Saturday night’s eastern time zone prime-time broadcast of Hockey Night in Canada, featuring a matchup between the division rivals Montreal Canadiens and Toronto Maple Leafs, pulled in an astonishing 3,317,000 viewers. That was up16 per cent from the previous record of 2,875,000 (set April 7, 2007, when the Leafs knocked off the Canadiens to stay in the hunt for a playoff spot) and a 44 per cent rise from the same weekend in January, 2012.

Even the CBC’s half-hour pre-game broadcast attracted 2,106,000 viewers.
10% of the population, hockey mad. If the U S could get 38 million to tune into a game it would surpass an NFL game, No?

Wonder how high they could go if either team was any good, let alone if both were.

Bob Cole

Tom ******* Brady
Oct 30, 2009
10% of the population, hockey mad. If the U S could get 38 million to tune into a game it would surpass an NFL game, No?

Wonder how high they could go if either team was any good, let alone if both were.

dont forget that doesnt account for people watching on rds. Woudnt surprise me if RDS drew 1 mil+

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Also the scrimmage viewers report was for viewers in the "region", whatever that means. This is only for the Pittsburgh media market.

I'm assuming that was across the entire area that Root Sports Pittsburgh telecasts in.

Media.PNG

(map of the coverage when it was FSN Pittsburgh, but I don't think it has changed much, if at all, since the switch)

A 6.7 in Pittsburgh definitely isn't 210,000+ television sets. That ~225k number is a 19.4.

Last edited:

Fire Lindy

Trust the System
Jan 3, 2011

I believe a Sunday Night NFL game draws around 20 million if it's a good game, could be wrong. I'm sure the number would be a lot higher though if the NFL had a lockout and football was delayed, I bet the opening day ratings would be ridiculous.

For the Superbowl, 111.3 million Americans tuned in to watch it last year.

I believe the ratings go up every year.

Jonas1235

Jan 8, 2008
Calgary
And those canadian numbers are with other games going on too. Lots of people have centre ice, or just watch a portion of a game.

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto

To be fair, to say that everyone watching a Leafs-Habs game on HNIC is hockey-mad is a stretch. Plenty of casuals tuned in, which is why you don't normally see such high numbers.

VanCanucks53

Jul 6, 2007
Calgary
The “Prime West” game on CBC, which surely struggled to keep the interest of Canucks fans, 1.471 million viewers. That is the highest rated late game since Hockey Day in Canada last season.

Very good numbers especially considering it was against a smaller American team and was a blowout with the Canucks losing 7-3.

TheOrganist

Don't Call Him Alex
Feb 21, 2006
Blues set FSMW ratings record for regular season game in last nights 4-3 win over Nashville.

The Jan. 21 game against Nashville was the highest-rated regular season Blues telecast ever on FOX Sports Midwest. The Blues' 4-3 shootout win at Nashville generated a 7.4 household rating in the St. Louis DMA, according to Nielsen Media Research.

That easily tops the previous regular season high of 6.3 set March 13, 2012 at Chicago.

Monday's telecast peaked at a 9.1 rating (113,000 households) during the shootout. The Blues Live postgame show followed with an impressive 4.7 rating.

Saturday's season opener vs. Detroit was the highest-rated Blues season or home opener on FOX Sports Midwest. It averaged a 6.0 household rating, making it the highest-rated program in prime time in St. Louis on Saturday.

http://blues.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=651801

Azkals

Jun 15, 2012
@RobRossi_Trib
12.6 rating for @ROOTSPORTSPIT Sunday #pens #NYrangers game. That was opposite AFC title game. So, for weekend, about 950K watched. #TribHKY

BeachBolt

Jun 2, 2010
Tampa
Lightning did a 2.8 on Sun Sports on opening night. Apparently peaked at 3.4. It was in a tweet from the lightning beat writer earlier today.

puckluck19

Registered User?
Oct 20, 2008
Courtice, ON
Buffalo Sabres @ Toronto Maple Leafs on Sportsnet Ontario at 7 p.m. ET: attracted an average audience of 1.1 million viewers, the highest average audience in Sportsnet history for its NHL regional broadcasts, and marking an increase of 32% from the Toronto Maple Leafs vs. Colorado Avalanche broadcast on Oct. 17, 2011 (811,000 viewers)

3.1 million Canadians watched some part of the Sabres vs. Leafs game

http://www.sportsnet.ca/pressroom/2...ecord_with_most-watched_leafs_broadcast_ever/

Speedy Sanderson

Jan 29, 2012
Aaron Portzline‏@Aportzline

#FSO says #CBJ season-opening game vs. Nashville drew 23,500 households, up 130 percent from 2011-12 season opener.

MartysBetterThanYou

Jan 15, 2013
New Jersey
Anyone know the ratings from Flyers-Devils last night? I presume Philly ratings were solid period, and NYC Market ratings were good in the context that only about a quarter of the market is the target market of the team in question (i.e. compared to past Devils ratings).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad