Pre-Game Talk: 2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
I'm in the minority here but I think Barkov is going to be the cream of this crop. He might not put up the same individual numbers as MacKinnon or Drouin, but he seems like the guy you want when the NHL playoffs roll around...big body, big skill, big engine.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
We shouldn't be concerned with people falling to us - we probably won't even take anyone who's not on our own little list.

Watch someone like Pulock or Morrisey drop to us and we just ignore them for someone like Bowey or De La Rose.

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
We shouldn't be concerned with people falling to us - we probably won't even take anyone who's not on our own little list.

Watch someone like Pulock or Morrisey drop to us and we just ignore them for someone like Bowey or De La Rose.

The Canucks, in the first round, have taken what is popular consensus as a 'faller' every year since Gillis got here.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland

When is the last time we have done that in the first round?

Virtanen2Horvat

BoHorvat53
Nov 29, 2011
Vancouver

Derp Kassian

Jul 14, 2012
Vancouver
I'm in the minority here but I think Barkov is going to be the cream of this crop. He might not put up the same individual numbers as MacKinnon or Drouin, but he seems like the guy you want when the NHL playoffs roll around...big body, big skill, big engine.

He reminds me of a Big bodied Daniel Sedin.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Agreed. From what I've seen he's on the same level as MacKinnon and Drouin. At least.

He's an absolute horse on the puck who will probably play at 6-3, 225 pounds in the NHL. Massive skill level, silky hands, can slow down and control the play.

You don't like comparing anyone to a player as great as Jagr but he's cut from the same cloth. Maybe a Vanek-Spezza hybrid would be closer. But he's going to be a huge point producer in the NHL.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Agreed. From what I've seen he's on the same level as MacKinnon and Drouin. At least.

He's an absolute horse on the puck who will probably play at 6-3, 225 pounds in the NHL. Massive skill level, silky hands, can slow down and control the play.

You don't like comparing anyone to a player as great as Jagr but he's cut from the same cloth. Maybe a Vanek-Spezza hybrid would be closer. But he's going to be a huge point producer in the NHL.

I have a Barkov crush. I honestly don't think we have the assets.

Gaunce Jensen 2x1sts

Elder Jensen ???

Don't think we can risk it.

KeninsFan

Fire Benning already
Feb 6, 2012
I hope Gillis picks Anthony Mantha.

6'4 PWF with an elite shot. Best pure goal scorer (better than MacK/Drouin IMO).

"size, smooth, coordinated skating and strength."

"tantalizing combination of size and scoring ability ... ability to dominate games "

SweedishKeepers

Apr 15, 2013
I am honestly on the Nik Petan train. I realize he is small but he seemed to dominate against an "NHL like" WHL. I'm not a scout and I don't watch much CHL hockey but he has intrigued me.

Vankiller Whale

Fire Benning
May 12, 2012
Toronto
I hope Gillis picks Anthony Mantha.

6'4 PWF with an elite shot. Best pure goal scorer (better than MacK/Drouin IMO).

"size, smooth, coordinated skating and strength."

"tantalizing combination of size and scoring ability ... ability to dominate games "

Not a PWF(yet, at least), but I agree if he falls to 24 there's barely anyone I think might be there that I'd take over him.

Nov 1, 2011
I am honestly on the Nik Petan train. I realize he is small but he seemed to dominate against an "NHL like" WHL. I'm not a scout and I don't watch much CHL hockey but he has intrigued me.

I actually think scorers have more trouble duplicating their production from the WHL to the NHL...so I wouldn't rely on the "NHL like WHL".

I don't see the Canucks drafting anyone under 5'10" tall and I'm actually okay with that as a scouting criteria...I know that would mean missing some good players but it would also mean avoiding some busts.

SweedishKeepers

Apr 15, 2013
Not a PWF(yet, at least), but I agree if he falls to 24 there's barely anyone I think might be there that I'd take over him.

Doesn't he kind of remind you of Kyle Beach? Did they have the same sort of reputation? Enlighten me as much as you can because again I don't watch much junior

SweedishKeepers

Apr 15, 2013
I actually think scorers have more trouble duplicating their production from the WHL to the NHL...so I wouldn't rely on the "NHL like WHL".

I don't see the Canucks drafting anyone under 5'10" tall and I'm actually okay with that as a scouting criteria...I know that would mean missing some good players but it would also mean avoiding some busts.

Good to know thank you. If I had to venture a guess I would say Rychel, Mantha, Erne or one of the falling D-men will most likely be the pick.

KeninsFan

Fire Benning already
Feb 6, 2012
Doesn't he kind of remind you of Kyle Beach? Did they have the same sort of reputation? Enlighten me as much as you can because again I don't watch much junior

He has consistency issues.

Picks #20-#24 are usually where the players who "drop" like Schroeder get picked. I'm hoping Gillis does that instead of a player like Gauthier.

I'd usually recommend going BPA but I have no faith in our scouting department.

Vankiller Whale

Fire Benning
May 12, 2012
Toronto

I'm afraid I didn't watch much of Kyle Beach in his draft year, I hadn't really been following junior then.

Mantha has an elite level shot, his ability to find the back of the net is imo unparalleled in this year's draft class. He's a good skater(especially considering his size) and on occasion can literally take over a game when motivated(although this is far from the usual for him).

His faults include being very lacklustre defensively, and at times plays sloppily or gives turnovers.

Despite that, he's still generally a safe bet to find the net somehow even when he's playing badly. His goal scoring instinct and flashes of dominance make me think that given the right development uder which he can work on his consistency and attention to defense, he could become a star player in the league.

arsmaster*

Mantha does not take over games.

He takes over 4 seconds parts of shifts where he scores and is caught floating the rest of the game.

He's a soft 6'4" with no "power" in his game at all.

This is a kid who might not even get a sniff because he's afraid of hard work and is easily phased out of games.

It's pure stat, highlight scouting to state otherwise.

The shot is unreal, remember old Patty White's calling card....his shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad