2013 NHL Draft Thread III (6/30, 3PM EDT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Q: “In your evaluations of the talent in this draft do you think it’s more beneficial for this franchise to have the quantity of those three first round picks or would it be more beneficial to get the quality and move up?â€

JK: “It’s not easy to move up, I can tell you that. I’ve talked with a couple of you and just from my past experience with the draft was here in 2007 we had three first round picks with St. Louis [Blues]. We tried every possible scenario to try to move up from nine to one, from nine to two, from nine to three, and so forth. We couldn’t even move from nine to seven and seven was Columbus’ pick at the time. We tried a lot of different things to try to move up. When other teams know that there are good players and they do their homework, it is not easy to move up.â€

JK: “One thing I learned from my drafts--I was fortunate enough to have general managers that had experience in the scouting field and they understood how the draft worked obviously--I think that as a general manager I was fortunate that those guys always provided the best possible opportunity for the scouting staff with the moves they made so that’s the philosophy I’ll have going into this weekend where we have three first round picks and we’re going to do everything we can to provide our scouting staff the best possible opportunity, whether it’s keeping those picks, moving up, or possibly moving back and getting some more picks and opportunities to pick players. The probabilities are not that high but if you have ten picks and the probability at the end of the day doesn’t really matter if the quantity of the players you get that might contribute in the NHL. So if you have 15 darts to throw and you count the thirty percent or the fifty percent out of that or whatever your percentage might be, it’s a lot more quantity than taking the same thirty percent out of eight picks or six picks.â€

More here.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
In bold, some comments.

And out of all of those players, I think only Tarasenko was taken later than 14th (16th), our 1st pick.

7 out of 15 of the guys picked late in the 1st round, 2010, played 10 or more NHL/KHL games last season.

Thats 2 or less seasons of development after being drafted.

JK is being vague, understandably, but believe me he knows it doesn't take 3-6 years to develop most forwards picked in the 1st round.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
7 out of 15 of the guys picked late in the 1st round, 2010, played 10 or more NHL/KHL games last season.

Thats 2 or less seasons of development after being drafted.

JK is being vague, understandably, but believe me he knows it doesn't take 3-6 years to develop most forwards picked in the 1st round.

JK said make an impact.

I think only Tarasenko, Coyle and Kuznetsov, Etem in playoffs, maybe Bennett made one.. depending on the definition. And all of them have more development ahead of them.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
JK said make an impact.

I think only Tarasenko, Coyle and Kuznetsov, Etem in playoffs, maybe Bennett made one.. depending on the definition. And all of them have more development ahead of them.

And they did it in less than 3-6 years...

I don't think you can really go into the draft and talk about needs now.

I don't believe him. :dunno:

Call me crazy, but I think he'll use at least 2 of those first round picks to address our needs at forward. Of course, he's not going to tip his hand. Instead he'll make vague comments like above.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Odds are at least 2 of the first round picks will be forwards, but that is because odds are forward will be the BPA when we pick.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
I'd go offense-offense-offense for all three picks in the first round. Then just hope two of them pan out.

I would go BPA, BPA, and BPA. I like his first 2 picks, but not the 3rd. I might have drafted someone different at 19, with who is availalbe, but Ristolainen would be very good value at that pick.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I'd go offense-offense-offense for all three picks in the first round. Then just hope two of them pan out.

BOPA,BOPA,BOPA,BOPA - all the way thru 45th.

With this theory in play, his draft could would have looked like Shinkaruk, Zykov, Klimchuk. Much better, imo.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
In Woodlief's draft, if Ristolainen is available at #19 (highly doubtful) that would be a steal in my opinion. I'm not opposed to Mueller at 27 but think Klimchuck would be a better choice. I didn't see Burakowsky in his top 30. at 27 he could be the steal of the draft...

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
BOPA,BOPA,BOPA,BOPA - all the way thru 45th.

With this theory in play, his draft could would have looked like Shinkaruk, Zykov, Klimchuk. Much better, imo.

Yeah, I agree. That would be a very good draft for us.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Okay, I recognize I've been away for a while, but y'all deserve fair warning so y'all can get the bomb shelters up and running. If I see one more - ONE ****ING MORE - dumb**** dip**** so-called hockey "expert" insist that JK's going to draft Rasmus Ristolainen, with no basis for this opinion beyond "he's also Finnish", I'ma ****ing SET THE WORLD ON FIRE.

I haven't even been paying attention for the last few weeks and it's STILL getting to me.
twitch.gif

CBJ Tiffin

Jan 2, 2011
Okay, I recognize I've been away for a while, but y'all deserve fair warning so y'all can get the bomb shelters up and running. If I see one more - ONE ****ING MORE - dumb**** dip**** so-called hockey "expert" insist that JK's going to draft Rasmus Ristolainen, with no basis for this opinion beyond "he's also Finnish", I'ma ****ing SET THE WORLD ON FIRE.

I haven't even been paying attention for the last few weeks and it's STILL getting to me.
twitch.gif

did you c this one yet?

http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=98084

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
Is Mantha really falling out of the first round?

There is absolutely nothing special about Mirco Mueller. Have zero interest in seeing us draft a guy who will be a one-dimensional, defensive defenseman in the first round.

twitch.gif

Here's a couple names I haven't seen in a while...

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
It has been pleasant without irrational, uncontrolled screeching rants lately.

jackets4life

Jan 16, 2013
Section 203

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
Some of you probably saw this on the mains draft board, but I thought it was interesting.

Based on analysis of a HD video from a special on Vancouver's 2010 draft, it appears it's possible to see the Vancouver draft list.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=67914657&postcount=1

If you compare it to say any consensus list from that year, you get a feel for just how much variability there probably is in the rankings from team to team.

From a Jacket's perspective, it's interesting to see they had Johansen at 11. (Keep in mind, Vancouver didn't pick until the 4th round this year so maybe the top of the list wasn't worried about as much).

Also, we took Corbeil-Therault at 102, they had him ranked at 24. What a steal! Oh yeah, he was released from a contract a couple of years ago - just shows how inexact these scouting lists are in hindsight.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I am in total agreement with you all about going BOPA-BOPA-BOPA, just makes common sense seeing where the organization stands right now.

I will say though, I hope this Woodlief guy is correct about us getting Shinkaruk at 14. Would be an excellent selection if he is there.

In MacKenzie's ranking Shinkaruk is 14 also, surrounded by Horvat at 13 & Mantha at 15. Looks like a top offensive guy will be there for us.

Lazar (18). Erne (20) Rychel (21) Gauthier (22) for the second pick

Zykov (25) Hartman (26) De La Rose (29) Klimchuk (30) for the third

Lehkonen, Bailey, Poirer is the vicinity of 45

Could be a nice haul of forwards

Last edited:

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC

twitch.gif

Good to have you back, skreeching rants and all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce