2013 NHL Draft Thread III (6/30, 3PM EDT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
If MacKinnon falls to Tampa Bay, I would think they would be listening to trades to improve their defense. What do you guys think about Murray and the 14th pick to jump up for MacKinnon? Maybe throw in the 27th pick if needed.

It's just a thought and I'd like to hear some feedback.

You'll find there's not a lot of stomach for a trade involving Ryan Murray

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I'd rather play against a Seth Jones than a Nathan MacKinnon. so go ahead and draft him Florida (who is in the East with us)

Roadman

Moving On
Sep 9, 2009
London OH

My favorite from part two:

Gregor: Do you feel that you can be more accurate when you are watching a person live in the rink or can you get just as equal of a read on him by watching film? What’s better for hockey scouts?

Conte: There is absolutely, in my mind, no question that being there is the most important part. The game involves so many things that a video doesn’t catch or a feeling it doesn’t catch or the body language when your guy’s sitting on a bench or it’s how he responds to a teammate’s success or failure, or how he defends a teammate or is defended, how he works when he’s ahead a game or is behind a game. Absolutely, there is nothing that will replace the physically nature of a guy scouting a player and having a more intimate appreciation for what he contributes to that team and how he might contribute to your team

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
If MacKinnon falls to Tampa Bay, I would think they would be listening to trades to improve their defense. What do you guys think about Murray and the 14th pick to jump up for MacKinnon? Maybe throw in the 27th pick if needed.

It's just a thought and I'd like to hear some feedback.

I probably wouldn't trade Murray straight up for MacKinnon. I definitely wouldn't add any picks.

Strange, I didn't think Murray and the 14th would be enough. I like Murray, but I'm not even sure he would make the top five in this draft.

I have no desire to trade Murray, but we also need (well it certainly we would nice) an impact young forward. If that trade were on the table, I would have to consider it.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
NHL Blue Jackets ‏@BlueJacketsNHL 8m

Kekalainen: I've been making more calls lately, things are heating up. It would have to be a very good deal (to trade a pick). #CBJ

NHL Blue Jackets ‏@BlueJacketsNHL 5m

Kekalainen: "You don't fix it if it's not broken. We have to respect the chemistry we had in the room. The guys like working together."

NHL Blue Jackets ‏@BlueJacketsNHL 3m

Kekalainen: "It's about building depth throughout the organization. That's what we're aiming at." #CBJ

NHL Blue Jackets ‏@BlueJacketsNHL 47s

Kekalainen on the draft: "This is a great opportunity for us and our scouts to make a difference. We're really excited." #CBJ

Rob Mixer ‏@RobMixer 8m

Jarmo Kekalainen said it would have to be a "player that can make an impact now and into the future" in order to trade a first-round pick.

NHL Blue Jackets ‏@BlueJacketsNHL 36s

Kekalainen: "The draft is more in our control, where we can take aim at players we like. With trades, you need two to tango." #CBJ

Rob Mixer ‏@RobMixer 15s

Kekalainen said he won't rule out #CBJ moving into top-five "until the sixth pick comes and we're out of it." All depends on price.

Last edited:

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
NHL Blue Jackets ‏@BlueJacketsNHL 8m

Kekalainen: I've been making more calls lately, things are heating up. It would have to be a very good deal (to trade a pick). #CBJ

NHL Blue Jackets ‏@BlueJacketsNHL 5m

Kekalainen: "You don't fix it if it's not broken. We have to respect the chemistry we had in the room. The guys like working together."

NHL Blue Jackets ‏@BlueJacketsNHL 3m

Kekalainen: "It's about building depth throughout the organization. That's what we're aiming at." #CBJ

NHL Blue Jackets ‏@BlueJacketsNHL 47s

Kekalainen on the draft: "This is a great opportunity for us and our scouts to make a difference. We're really excited." #CBJ

Rob Mixer ‏@RobMixer 8m

Jarmo Kekalainen said it would have to be a "player that can make an impact now and into the future" in order to trade a first-round pick.

NHL Blue Jackets ‏@BlueJacketsNHL 36s

Kekalainen: "The draft is more in our control, where we can take aim at players we like. With trades, you need two to tango." #CBJ

Rob Mixer ‏@RobMixer 15s

Kekalainen said he won't rule out #CBJ moving into top-five "until the sixth pick comes and we're out of it." All depends on price.

In other words, Ryan Murray, Johan, stay close to your phone this weekend:laugh:

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Strange, I didn't think Murray and the 14th would be enough. I like Murray, but I'm not even sure he would make the top five in this draft.

I have no desire to trade Murray, but we also need (well it certainly we would nice) an impact young forward. If that trade were on the table, I would have to consider it.

The value may be right, but I wouldn't do it.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
I would say everyone is available. I think our current front office would trade any asset they have if they think it would make our team better.

Yep I agree, and most likely it takes one of these 2 to move into the top 5. I like 2 things, Jarmo will be agressive, goodbye days of Howson, and that we need offense, offense, offense. As he said, you cant play hoping to win games, 2 to 1 . Should be a great weekend.

CapnCornelius

Oct 28, 2006
Personally, I think Patrick Roy is incapable of subtlety.

The Avs are giving a rookie headcase...er, head coach, far too much power.

Florida and Tampa must be having a good laugh. One of them is going to have the type of defense we just saw win a Stanley Cup.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008

Florida and Tampa must be having a good laugh. One of them is going to have the type of defense we just saw win a Stanley Cup.

Particularly when you consider that the coach/GM in hockey hasn't exactly been a resounding success recently. I think Mike Milbury and Doug MacLean were the last two to do it, and both of them already had NHL head coaching experience beforehand anyway.

I have theories on why it doesn't work any more, and for Colorado to not only ignore that but to give all of this power to a first-timer is absolute lunacy.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
http://bluejackets.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=675074&cmpid=rss-mixer

"I think we need a little more scoring," Kelalainen said. "But I always say this: when you go to the draft and say you're going to address needs...those players might take three to six years before they're ready to (make an impact). That doesn't take anything away from the player, either. You just have to let the players develop at the pace they're in with their physical and psychological elements.

"I don't think you can really go into the draft and talk about needs now; to me, it's about building a balanced depth chart for your organization where you have depth in goaltender, defensemen, same thing with forwards, role players, skilled players and speed. When you have a balanced depth chart and even if you lose players, you can always count on those guys maturing within the next couple of years and say, 'we've done a pretty good job.'"

Particularly when you consider that the coach/GM in hockey hasn't exactly been a resounding success recently. I think Mike Milbury and Doug MacLean were the last two to do it, and both of them already had NHL head coaching experience beforehand anyway.

I have theories on why it doesn't work any more, and for Colorado to not only ignore that but to give all of this power to a first-timer is absolute lunacy.

Sakic has the final call on all hockey ops. for what it's worth

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
For Edmonton it is. Lindholm > RyJo.

I'm probably one of the biggest Lindholm fans, but I'll say this: Ryan Johansen will score more goals in the NHL next season than Elias Lindholm. Elias is not ready for the NHL. He's going to need more time to develop and actually play center at the pro level.

In the Elitserien playoffs, Lindholm's team Brynäs played powerhouse Skellefteå (who ended up league champions) in the first round and it was much like the Jackets vs the Wings in 2009. Lindholm was like a boy playing against men, which is likely hurt his draft stock since scouts likely keyed in on him then.

No one can know exactly what's going on with Joey and whether he can turn things around. We saw glimpses of the player he could be, and that's a player the Jackets need. I'd love to have Lindholm in the Jackets for the future, but not at the cost of trading the player Joey could be in the immediate future.

However, if Jarmo and JD determine whatever's going on with Joey is going to hinder him developing into the player we all hope he could be, then they need to trade him now rather than waiting and hoping.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
"I think we need a little more scoring," Kelalainen said. "But I always say this: when you go to the draft and say you're going to address needs...those players might take three to six years before they're ready to (make an impact). That doesn't take anything away from the player, either. You just have to let the players develop at the pace they're in with their physical and psychological elements.

They might take 3-6 years or they might 1-2 years like

RNH
Hall
Seguin
Joey
Skinner
Granland
Burmistrov
Cotourier
Cam Fowler
Tarasenko
Landeskog
Huberdeau
Larsson
Zibanejad
Brodin
JT Miller

and MANY others. If a forward first round pick isn't in the NHL within 3 seasons, its not likely they're going to live up to there perceived value.

I've always thought 1st round picks should address your current and near future needs. Jarmo understandably isn't going to play his hand, but I think we'll see 2-3 forwards drafted in the first round. Forwards especially adapt quicker than dmen and goalies, to the NHL pace.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
They might take 3-6 years or they might 1-2 years like

RNH
Hall
Seguin
Joey
Skinner
Granland Was 2 years in FEL after drafted and struggled mightly this year, got sent down
Burmistrov Hasn't found his offense yet, *may*'ve been rushed
Cotourier Good/very good bottom 6er but not more yet
Cam Fowler
Tarasenko Was 2 years in KHL after drafted
Landeskog
Huberdeau
Larsson
Zibanejad
Brodin
JT Miller

and MANY others. If a forward first round pick isn't in the NHL within 3 seasons, its not likely they're going to live up to there perceived value.

I've always thought 1st round picks should address your current and near future needs. Jarmo understandably isn't going to play his hand, but I think we'll see 2-3 forwards drafted in the first round. Forwards especially adapt quicker than dmen and goalies, to the NHL pace.

In bold, some comments.

And out of all of those players, I think only Tarasenko was taken later than 14th (16th), our 1st pick.

major major

Feb 18, 2013

I agree that Roy getting so much power is crazy.

But since the Memorial Cup I don't think its crazy that Jones is not an obvious #1.

But its definitely crazy if we're really hearing the Avs draft list two weeks before the draft. Isn't that supposed to be secret?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad