2013 New Jersey Devils (Team/Player Discussion)- Offseason FA and trade talk Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
What would a month around here be without obligatory (and pie-in-the-sky) Yandle trade rumors? I'll believe he ever gets traded when I see it, and I seriously doubt we'll be seeing that in the next couple years.

Yandle to NJ for Tedenby, Josefson, and the rights to Ponikarovsky. NJ also throwing in the NHL rights to recently departed assistant coach Matt Shaw.

E5.

apice3*

You're right about almost all of those things, but Mackinnon is by FAR the better skater, easily tops in this draft class and quite possibly the best draft-eligible skater since Ovechkin.

Better than Crosby?

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
I wonder if a package built around #9 could net Loui Eriksson from Dallas. Speculation has been that Dallas wants a top center for him if he's dealt. They would be willing to move him because of their organizational depth at wing. If Florida is looking to move #2, maybe they'd move it to Dallas for something like #9, #10, and a young player. Dallas then drafts Mackinnon.

Dallas - Mackinnon, Devils prospect
Devils - Eriksson
Florida - #9, #10, Dallas prospect

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
If the Caps still have Michal Neuvirth during next years offseason I wonder what it would take to land him? Hopefully not the same package as Varlamov since he'll be a few years removed from a playoff run/starting role. Holtby is clearly the number 1 there now. Though maybe they wanna make sure in an 82 game season since he hasn't started one in the NHL before. Neuvirth just got a two year extension which begins next year.

Wouldn't mind picking him up next offseason if he is cheap.

Then you gotta think they're in our division now so maybe they won't deal him to us.

Frickin realignment!:rant:

Benedict Parisechuk

Army of Pandolfo's
Apr 5, 2013
Chicago, IL
I personally wouldn't do this. It would have to be far better than a solid top-6 forward for me to consider it.

If that package can get us Eriksson, Kesler, Stastny, etc. then I think you have to consider it. That really might be the best way to get that Parise replacement or any legit player that can bump everyone down a spot on offense so we wouldn't have guys being asked to do too much like last year. I keep thinking that Fayne could be on the block with the amount of defensemen prospects we have.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
If that package can get us Eriksson, Kesler, Stastny, etc. then I think you have to consider it. That really might be the best way to get that Parise replacement or any legit player that can bump everyone down a spot on offense so we wouldn't have guys being asked to do too much like last year. I keep thinking that Fayne could be on the block with the amount of defensemen prospects we have.

The players you mentioned are better than just solid, all 3 would play first line in NJ.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
Just because they would play first line here, doesn't mean they are first line players...

Aren't we looking to make a significant upgrade?

Eriksson, Kessler would improve the depth and scoring here and would play 1st line on most NHL teams.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
Just floating this out there. If Winnipeg offered their first round pick 13 for Zajac would you do the deal?

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Just floating this out there. If Winnipeg offered their first round pick 13 for Zajac would you do the deal?

I don't think so. We still need Zajac despite him being not good last year. They probably wouldn't wanna take on his contract anyway.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Better than Crosby?

At the time he was drafted, definitely. Crosby has great agility and definitely isn't slow, but his skating is all about strength. Pound-for-pound, Crosby's probably the hardest guy to knock off the puck in the league. Mackinnon is just flat out blazing fast, but his balance is impeccable, he can turn and stop and start on a dime, and his two-step burst is unbelievable. He can go from a glide to full speed before a defender even realizes he's been coned, and it looks effortless the entire time. It's mind-blowing, honestly.

Check this highlights video, specifically at 0:24 and 4:07.

EDIT: With some searching, you can find NHL scouts calling him a potential generational skater. One said he hasn't seen skating like Mackinnon's since Bure. :amazed:

Last edited:

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
Check this highlights video, specifically at 0:24 and 4:07.

Only thing I could think of when watching that video is seeing him at the left side blasting one-timers and if he did play for the devils he'd be on the right side doing nothing :facepalm:

apice3*

At the time he was drafted, definitely. Crosby has great agility and definitely isn't slow, but his skating is all about strength. Pound-for-pound, Crosby's probably the hardest guy to knock off the puck in the league. Mackinnon is just flat out blazing fast, but his balance is impeccable, he can turn and stop and start on a dime, and his two-step burst is unbelievable. He can go from a glide to full speed before a defender even realizes he's been coned, and it looks effortless the entire time. It's mind-blowing, honestly.
EDIT: With some searching, you can find NHL scouts calling him a potential generational skater. One said he hasn't seen skating like Mackinnon's since Bure. :amazed:

oh you mean skater literally. I thought you meant skater as in any non-goaltender.

hlaverty06

Feb 11, 2012
NJ all day
I wish we were in on Antti Raanta, 24 year old, maybe he could play in the A at goalie if Frazee didn't come back and then step in the year after behind Marty for a year/vet FA goalie

Sadly, he had it narrowed down to EDM, MIN, and one other team who i forget

ScottyK

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
Mark Masters ‏@markhmasters 4h
Gatineau's Émile Poirier will attend Leafs combine tomorrow; also heading to workouts hosted by Devils, Sabres, Habs

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Mark Masters ‏@markhmasters 4h
Gatineau's Émile Poirier will attend Leafs combine tomorrow; also heading to workouts hosted by Devils, Sabres, Habs

What kind of player is he?

I'm guessing that's a potential target for the second round pick?

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
Wait why is he trying to sign both Zids and Harrold. Are we seriously rolling with 8 defensemen again? (barring a buyout)

I really hope not. That was pure madness this season, and I don't want to see Larsson and Fayne getting shafted by it again.

He's a better skater and a better playmaker. Mac is more of a pure goal guy.

IMO, I think Drouin is superior at making his team mates better,and he has the creativity that our team sorely lacks.

I honestly have the opposite thought. Our team already passes too much. We need the pure goal scorer.

It's a moot point anyway, since we won't be getting either of them.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Would like Khudobin or Neuvirth if we could get him for cheap.

Still think Moose bounces back as a backup though. He will crumble again as a starter if Marty was injured, and our wonderful coach will probably play him pre 2010 Marty Brodeur again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad