Speculation: 2013 Leafs Trades, Proposals, and Free Agent Talk XXI

Status
Not open for further replies.

araisarena

Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/Ann Arbor
I love prospects like Monahan and Lindholm whom are to be available at 5. But is it worth giving up a potential top pairing guy in Reilly and a 2nd line pivot and penalty killer in a Gauthier, or 50 goal scorer with high hockey IQ like Mantha? No dice.

Hawaiinleaf

Jan 4, 2011
Honolulu
Canes dont want Rielly its so obvious or they draft a D at 5th!!!!!!

They want top 4 d playing now as there contending now not in 5 years

Its got to be Phaneuf

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
Canes contending now and need a top 4 D top 2 actually

Rielly is not even here yet..makes zero sense..

Its Phaneuf

Its Gardiner, He is the best of both worlds. He is a 2nd pairing defenseman today with the upside of a top pairing guy in the future. The Leafs have a replacement in Reilly who is only a year behind in development and can afford to wait if it means we get a top 5 pick in a strong draft class.

officialmark7*

If we got the 5th pick I would like to see us draft Nichushkin, this guy has the potential to be the best guy in the draft.

JVR - Bozak - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - Nichushkin

That has Stanley Cup potential, I don't care that we don't have a legit #1 C, we have 2 legit scoring lines, and Bozak is one of the better PKers and F/O guys.

Igy

Mar 3, 2011
If we were to trade for the 5th overall pick, would you pick Lindholm or Monahan? I like them both.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
No,it is Franson.

He is a top 4 and the most likely choice as I dont see Nonis letting Gardiner go. Canes won't want Reilly or Phanueff at 29 one year from UFA?

Franson plus the 21st for the 5th. I like Franson but we need to upgrade our top 2 Dmen.

jmart21

MISC!!!
Nov 16, 2009
All Over The Place
Can't see Carolina wanting Phaneuf for #5 and can't see us wanting to include him. They aren't looking to spend 6.5M (a salary that'll likely go up next summer) on the top4 dman they are seeking. Think someone in the Gardiner mould.

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
:shakehead Seguin is better than Bozak. JVR is probably my favourite Leaf but he has never reached 67 pts.

2012-2013
Bozak - 12 goals 16 assists 28 points 6 PIM in 46 games
Seguin - 16 goals 16 assists 32 points 16 PIM in 48 games

Not saying Bozak is better but he played hurt on a weaker team and put up similar numbers however Seguin is more suited to the wing than a centre so its hard to compare both to eachother

Also, this past season I think JVR was on pace to get around 60+ points if it was a full season.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
If we got the 5th pick I would like to see us draft Nichushkin, this guy has the potential to be the best guy in the draft. G

JVR - Bozak - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - Nichushkin

That has Stanley Cup potential, I don't care that we don't have a legit #1 C, we have 2 legit scoring lines, and Bozak is one of the better PKers and F/O guys.

And the biggest bust IMO. He played sheltered minutes and was underwhelming against better competition many times this year. Read the scouting reports for Carolina and Tampa Bay bloggers - some good detail there.

Pretty obvious a deal with Carolina would only include Reilly if more than the 5th is coming back, or if our 21st is not going ie Franson + Reilly. They get their top 4 D, and a top draft pick.

The Magic Man

With God given hands
Sep 1, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger 44s
Leafs and Canes have talked about 5th overall. Might cost Toronto Morgan Rielly as part of a package. Not close, but discussed. #TSN

So according to Dreger you can get the 5th overall every year, you'll just have to move the previous 5th and more assets. It's worth it, if your a crack head for the draft.

Asinine.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Maybe Nonis is talking to the Canes about Skinner

Nick KypreosVerified account ‏@RealKyper

Other names coming off 1st yr deals being dropped in #NHL trade talk besides #Bruins Seguin, #Canes Skinner #Sabres Myers. #veryfewofflimits

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Do I think Seguin will be a number one C? Not anymore.If I am a GM I would be worried about paying him $5.5 to be a 3rd line C.No way I give you a top 3 pick for Seguin.But if you did,they would soon call you off your rocker for giving up Drouin for him.

66 points as a 19 year old and a 55pt pace at 20. Nothing about these numbers says third line center to me. A guy who slumps to 55pts is not a bust. He was 1 pt back of their #1c and +57 over the last 2 seasons. It took two seasons for Kessel to match Seguins 19 year old season. I don't think you can downgrade a start like that because of one bad playoff.

Not great on the dot but miles better than Kadri. He plays a lot softer game in the regular season than in the playoffs so I don't know if he is a finished product in that area. The stats say he isn't a giveaway machine, and the B's don't have a ton of prolific scorers to put with him. He just might not fit into their current game but i can't see almost every other club not having a spot for that scoring. He is also zero chance of being a bust which no draft prospect can say. I would think any club except for maybe the top two would jump at swapping their pick for him. Unless he has acquired some bizarre locker room cancer rep of course. Other than Jimmy Carson, how many high end talents peaked at 19?

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Bruins always overhype then fleece.

Barry Pederson for Cam Neely and a high first.

No way I trade JVR for Seguin.

BigMac*

66 points as a 19 year old and a 55pt pace at 20. Nothing about these numbers says third line center to me. A guy who slumps to 55pts is not a bust. He was 1 pt back of their #1c and +57 over the last 2 seasons. It took two seasons for Kessel to match Seguins 19 year old season. I don't think you can downgrade a start like that because of one bad playoff.

Not great on the dot but miles better than Kadri. He plays a lot softer game in the regular season than in the playoffs so I don't know if he is a finished product in that area. The stats say he isn't a giveaway machine, and the B's don't have a ton of prolific scorers to put with him. He just might not fit into their current game but i can't see almost every other club not having a spot for that scoring. He is also zero chance of being a bust which no draft prospect can say. I would think any club except for maybe the top two would jump at swapping their pick for him. Unless he has acquired some bizarre locker room cancer rep of course. Other than Jimmy Carson, how many high end talents peaked at 19?

spot on, good post

The Magic Man

With God given hands
Sep 1, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
If we were to trade for the 5th overall pick, would you pick Lindholm or Monahan? I like them both.

I wouldn't trade Rielly for anything other then Mac or Barkov. And if I did, my scouts better convince me that Barkov is a legit 1C in the making. I don't want a possible improvement in Jones, or a winger in Drouin or Nichuskin.

To top this steaming pile of puppy crap off, Dreger implies the cost would be Rielly +!!

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
So according to Dreger you can get the 5th overall every year, you'll just have to move the previous 5th and more assets. It's worth it, if your a crack head for the draft.

Asinine.

I think the fact was the discussion part. The Reilly thing implies a different level of knowledge which I doubt he would be party to. 5 or 6 offers for their pick so they will be getting a lot, as you would expect.

noBSleafsFAN

Jun 13, 2010
Toronto
Have to give to get.

Leafs don't have that much in the cupboard anyone would consider top notch.

Would you trade Monahan/Lindholm/Nichushkin/Nurse for Biggs, Percy, and the 21st.?

There seems to be some thought that Monahan is NHL ready.

I'd rather trade Gardiner before Rielly, but would prefer to keep both. If the deal was
21+Gardiner, i'm not sure if I would do it.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
http://blogs.newsobserver.com/canes/rutherford-lot-of-interest-in-no-5-pick#.Uc9hVN8VfN8

Canes general manager Jim Rutherford spent much of Saturday on the phone, fielding inquiries, talking about potential trades.

The Canes have the No. 5 selection in Sunday's NHL Entry Draft and Rutherford said, "There has been a lot of interest in our pick. If we do end up making a move, we would like to have a first-round pick of some kind. We have a few things to think over."

The Canes are looking to obtain a top-four defenseman before next season and Rutherford believes a trade, and not free agency, may be the most sensible way of doing it.

Defenseman Andrew Ference of the Boston Bruins will not be re-signed by the B's, and Rob Scuderi of the Los Angeles Kings also is due to become an unrestricted free agent. But Rutherford said signing free agents usually results in giving long-term contracts with sizable salaries, making a hockey trade that moves salary more desirable.

Asked the chances of the Canes trading the No. 5 pick, Rutherford said, "I don't know. I couldn't handicap it. It's a unique year. There seems to be more players available."

While looking for a defenseman, Rutherford would not rule out trading for a forward Sunday. He said there likely would be no trade for a goalie, noting the Canes "probably" would go with Justin Peters as Cam Ward's backup next season.

"Getting a defenseman is our top priority before the start of the season," Rutherford said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad