Speculation: 2013 Leafs Trades, Proposals, and Free Agent Talk XVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnipeCheeseAllDay

Jan 16, 2007
Toronto
First of all, we should be calling the Islanders and asking for Reinhart in return for taking DiPietro's contract.

Komisarek + Blacker
for
DiPietro + Reinhart

Follow that up by snagging Bernier for the cheap price of Frattin.

Then we should call Tampa Bay for that 3rd overall pick because they are fine offensively, but its their back end that needs some additions.

Gardiner + Bernier for 3rd overall.

Draft Barkov 3rd
Draft Gauthier 21st
Re-sign Bozak
Sign Clarkson
Buyout DiPietro

---------------------

Lupul (A) - Barkov - Kessel
JVR - Kadri - Clarkson
D'Amigo - Bozak - Kulemin
McLaren - McClement - Orr
-Colborne/Ashton

Phaneuf (C) - Gunnarsson
Rielly - Reinhart (drool at this pairing)
Fraser - Franson
-Ranger/Liles

Reimer
Scrivens

In the farm:
Gauthier, Biggs, Leivo, Ross, Colborne, Ashton, Devane, Broll, McKegg, Connor Brown, Toninato
Percy, Finn, Nilsson, Granberg, MacWilliam, Loov

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Only way the leafs take on dipietro is if Komi goes the other way and we get 15pick+Reinhart+

Management will not spend 24 million just to get 1 mediocre prospect.

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
Only way the leafs take on dipietro is if Komi goes the other way and we get 15pick+Reinhart+

Management will not spend 24 million just to get 1 mediocre prospect.

Reinhart who was picked before Reilly is not mediocre

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
I wonder if there's a deal to be had for Andrej Meszaros... he's only 27 years old, is very physical and at 6'2" 223lbs is a good size. He's capable of logging 20+ minutes a night, and at one year left @ $4m cap ($5.5M cash) might be worth a shot since he's rumoured to be available at a very, very low price.

He's coming off a horrible season injury wise, but as he's still young there might be some upside there as a solid 2nd pairing guy.

Meh, depends entirely on if/where Gunnarson or Franson goes. If either is sent packing in a trade I'd be making a call to Holmgren.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Reinhart who was picked before Reilly is not mediocre

I can see why people would think otherwise. Reilly may have only dropped to where he did because of his knee injury. IMO there are question marks over Reinhart's offensive upside and how it will translate in the NHL. Might just be another Keaton Ellerby.

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
is there really a chance of the Leafs trading for a player just to buy him out? A. I don't think MLSE would be okay with that, B. I don't think the league would be okay with that, C. it's kind of a bush league move in general. I know it's exciting to think that because the Leafs are the NHL's richest franchise they're happy to toss money around to make the product better, but I just don't see it happening

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
In his defense I think the redraft ranked him a bit lower, lower than rielly

i can see that, i would have expected him in the 7-8 slot, but, that still doesnt make him a mediocre prospect.

we dont have a d-man of his style in our system at all, closest we have is Holzer, and HE is mediocre.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
is there really a chance of the Leafs trading for a player just to buy him out? A. I don't think MLSE would be okay with that, B. I don't think the league would be okay with that, C. it's kind of a bush league move in general. I know it's exciting to think that because the Leafs are the NHL's richest franchise they're happy to toss money around to make the product better, but I just don't see it happening

Provided we comply with league/CBA rules, the league is indifferent to whatever occurs. With respect, the only thing "bush league" about this is the notion that feelings would play any role in legal matters.

Whether it's likely or not is another story, but I think early reports already sufficiently indicate that MLSE is prepared to leverage their financial power for the right deal. It's even been said for heaven's sake.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I wonder if there's a deal to be had for Andrej Meszaros... he's only 27 years old, is very physical and at 6'2" 223lbs is a good size. He's capable of logging 20+ minutes a night, and at one year left @ $4m cap ($5.5M cash) might be worth a shot since he's rumoured to be available at a very, very low price.

He's coming off a horrible season injury wise, but as he's still young there might be some upside there as a solid 2nd pairing guy.

Meh, depends entirely on if/where Gunnarson or Franson goes. If either is sent packing in a trade I'd be making a call to Holmgren.

I'd like him too .. Is he right handed/play the right side? Definitely worth it if he's on the cheap side

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London

In my opinion, I think the league is expecting it to happen.

Across all teams if all teams spend to the cap, there is 382,829,227 cap space left (according to capgeek). That space with 158 players to sign for all the teams to fill out their 23 man roster. On average we are looking at 2,422,970 per remaining player. It's going to be tight, lots of quality players left to sign still. And this is assuming all teams spend to the cap, not all teams like doing that.

Primary Assist

Jul 7, 2010
Provided we comply with league/CBA rules, the league is indifferent to whatever occurs. With respect, the only thing "bush league" about this is the notion that feelings would play any role in legal matters.

Whether it's likely or not is another story, but I think early reports already sufficiently indicate that MLSE is prepared to leverage their financial power for the right deal. It's even been said for heaven's sake.

All GM's run their mouths this time of year, and while I'd be happy with any move management does to improve the team I just don't think any moves where we buy out a newly acquired player will happen.

Also, if the league thinks that there was an agreement before the trade was executed that we would immediately buy out a player upon receiving him then I would think that must count as collusion. It's the same concept as signing a player to a front-loaded contract with hopes of buying him out before he retires.

Edit : There is a chance I guess though that the league would just turn a blind eye. It's happened before, namely in the contract situations I just mentioned, but that's where the whole bush league aspect I was talking about stems from.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
All GM's run their mouths this time of year, and while I'd be happy with any move management does to improve the team I just don't think any moves where we buy out a newly acquired player will happen.

Also, if the league thinks that there was an agreement before the trade was executed that we would immediately buy out a player upon receiving him then I would think that must count as collusion. It's the same concept as signing a player to a front-loaded contract with hopes of buying him out before he retires.

Edit : There is a chance I guess though that the league would just turn a blind eye. It's happened before, namely in the contract situations I just mentioned, but that's where the whole bush league aspect I was talking about stems from.

You have to wait a year regardless.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007

CBA rules - can't amnesty players you recently acquire. Need to wait 1 year before doing so.

This means anyone we pick up (Lecavelier, DiPietro, etc) would need to be on our roster for minimum 1 year before we amnestied them. Which could be why Nonis is rumoured to be clearing cap space with Komisarek's buyout.

Primary Assist

Jul 7, 2010
CBA rules - can't amnesty players you recently acquire. Need to wait 1 year before doing so.

This means anyone we pick up (Lecavelier, DiPietro, etc) would need to be on our roster for minimum 1 year before we amnestied them. Which could be why Nonis is rumoured to be clearing cap space with Komisarek's buyout.

Ahh my mistake, nevermind then

Khobahi

Feb 13, 2013
Canada

Can you actually link to the article that fully explains this? i have read up on discussions and other things and tried to look up the cba article but cant find where it specifically says this. One of the things I think was brought up was that they had to be on your team at the previous trade deadline (or a year i forget) to buy them out during the non-regular time period of buy-outs (or 2ndary buyout time) something random.

Schenn

In Rod We Trust
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
Huron County

If we did something like Franson + 21 for #7 from Edmonton, I would be interested in dealing for Mezsaros for cheap and give him a one year tryout.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Can you actually link to the article that fully explains this? i have read up on discussions and other things and tried to look up the cba article but cant find where it specifically says this. One of the things I think was brought up was that they had to be on your team at the previous trade deadline (or a year i forget) to buy them out during the non-regular time period of buy-outs (or 2ndary buyout time) something random.

During the Ordinary Course “Buy-Out” periods following the 2012/13 season and 2013/14 season,
in addition to any other Ordinary Course “Buy-Outs” a Club may elect to effectuate pursuant to
Paragraph 13 of the SPC, Clubs may elect to terminate and “buy-out” the already existing SPCs of
up to two (2) additional Players (in the aggregate over the two (2) years) on a Compliance basis (a
“Compliance Buy-Out”). Such Compliance Buy-Out(s) would be effectuated on the same terms as
are set forth in Paragraph 13 of the SPC, except that the amounts paid under such “buy-out(s)” will
not be charged against the Club’s Cap in any of the years in which the payments are made to the
Player. Amounts paid under such Compliance Buy-Out(s) will, however, be counted against the
Players’ Share during any League Year in which the “buy-out” payments are made. A Player that
has been bought out under these Compliance Buy-Out provisions shall be prohibited from re-joining
the Club that bought him out (via re-signing, Assignment, Waiver claim or otherwise) for the duration
of the 2013/14 League Year (if the Player was bought out in 2013) and the 2014/15 League Year (if
the Player was bought out in 2014).

That clause is to be used in conjunction with the following:

During the second “buy-out” period (following Salary Arbitration), a Club may not “buy-out” a Player
who: (i) was not on its Reserve List as of the most recent Trade Deadline
; or (ii) has an AA that is
less than $2,750,000 (which amount shall be indexed to the percentage increase in ALS starting
with 2013/14 as the base year, with 2014/15 being the first year such increase shall take effect).
For example, if a Player with an AA of $5,000,000 is acquired by a Club that is able to execute a
buy-out during the second buyout period on the July 15 immediately prior to such second buy-out
period, he cannot be bought out by the Club during that second buy-out period.

The problem is that this year because the season is lasting longer than usual, the dates are all messed up between end of season, arbitration period, and free agency. But the gist of it is, teams have a limited time between the end of season and the start of free agency to affect compliance buyouts. To qualify, the player must have been on the Reserve List of said club as of the most-recent trade deadline.

The compliance period normally begins the latter of either June 15th or 48 hours after the playoffs end, and goes until June 30th. But this year, it starts 48 hours after the playoffs end and concludes on July 4 at 5 p.m. On July 5th, Free agency opens.

Hope this helps. Here's the link to the summary of terms if you want it:

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/en/v3/ext/CB...ummary_of_Terms_FINAL_-_Jan._12,_2013 (1).pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad