Speculation: 2013 Leafs Trades, Proposals, and Free Agent Talk XVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
Sounds like you feel that Players are overpaid in general. That won't stop Teams from paying them though.

some will complain about Kessel no matter what he's paid.[/QUOTE]

I actually don't have a problem with players being paid what they get paid. They have a very unique skillset and if fans keep showing up and billionaires owners are fine with in the case of most teams having a bad investment then why should I be upset?

I just don't don't have Kessel included in the short list of players like Toews, Chara, Weber, Crosby, Malkin, Doughty, Stamkos and a few others as my top players who I'd pay that kind of money to build a team around.

I look at teams when they've won the cup (or been top contenders) and don't see the likes of players like Kessel being paid 7.5+ so I'm not afraid to move on instead of just handing him a blank cheque to fill out.

I have no problem paying Kessel between 6 to 7 million tops on an 8 year deal.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
I know that Stephen Weiss has been discussed ad nauseam, but I was wondering if anyone has brought up reuniting him with Horton. I realize that Boston will be pushing really hard to resign Horton, but we may be able to convince him if his buddy is included. Additionally, BOS already has almost $42M wrapped up in their forwards.

I, like most people here believe that we need two more pieces for our top 6. We would have to try to trade or buy out Grabbo, more for next year than this.

JVR Kadri Kessel
Lupul Weiss Horton
Kulemin Colborne Frattin
XXX McClement Orr/McLaren

leugangen

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto
The Hawks Hockeybuzz blogger posted this:

"First, I heard a rumor out of Canada on Monday (very good source) that the Leafs have offered two mid-level roster players and a package of draft picks for Tampa Bay’s 3rd selection overall and Vincent LeCavalier, who would then be bought out.

Not making it up—I wouldn’t pretend to know enough about either team to do so. Good source, take it for what it is."

I like the idea of the Leafs flexing their financial muscle, but why buy out Lecavalier? He's still serviceable. Would love to get that 3rd overall pick though :)

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010

"First, I heard a rumor out of Canada on Monday (very good source) that the Leafs have offered two mid-level roster players and a package of draft picks for Tampa Bay’s 3rd selection overall and Vincent LeCavalier, who would then be bought out.

Not making it up—I wouldn’t pretend to know enough about either team to do so. Good source, take it for what it is."

I like the idea of the Leafs flexing their financial muscle, but why buy out Lecavalier? He's still serviceable. Would love to get that 3rd overall pick though :)

We could use Lecavalier for 1 year and then buy him out to make room for Barkov. If not bought out, you are stuck with a 50 point player making 7.7mil.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
Buy-out Lecavalier because we don't have the cap to keep him. Third overall? We want Drouin? :P

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York

7.7 for the next 7 is why

BigWilly

May 6, 2012
Ontario

That would be AWESOME.

I'd do JVR and the 21st OA for Vinny and the 3rd.

Barkov dishing to Kessel = drool.

Khobahi

Feb 13, 2013
Canada
now... would we settle for Barkov or try and move up the other 1 (or 2) spots to get MacKinnon...

Schenn

In Rod We Trust
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
Huron County

Sadly, it seems to good to be true.

Kurisu

mad scientist
Aug 13, 2012
In A Lonely Corner

turrible-charles-jpg.3095

For Tampa Bay

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007
In that scenario, couldn't Tampa just re-sign Vinny then? We couldn't (cuz we bought him out).

Say, 3-4 years at $4-5M seems a lot more reasonable for them. They can keep their fanbase happy and face of the franchise (who's still very useful but not for his current contract).

Pinto

Kings of the North!
Aug 28, 2003
Port Dover, Ontario
That...... would be interesting.

Lecavalier would never agree to waive his NTC, HOWEVER, if the leafs were to buy him out, he could sign a new deal with TB.

- Leafs would pay a smaller price to move up to #3
- TB gets a lot of cap relief, + additional assets required to make the deal
- Vinny gets more money in the end

Win-Win-Win

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007

Absolutely love it. Vinny would be absolutely amazing betweel JVR and Kessel.

My guess on the roster players are Grabo/Kulemin/Frattin and Gunnarson/Franson. Likely a center going the other way to replace Vinny. Probably our 1st and 2nd this year too, maybe a 3rd as well.

Grabo
Gunnarson
21st overall
2nd round
3rd round

That's my guess. Grabo has $21 million over 4 years left, Vinny has $45 million over 7 years left. We swap a caphit of $2.2M this year, acquire a 1st line center for a year, and swap Gunnarson /Franson (they need D badly), our 1st and our 2nd (maybe our 3rd) for the 3rd overall.

Edit: you know, the more I think about it, it turns out to be

Gunnarson/Franson
21st overall
2nd round
3rd round
+$24M (Vinny buyout)

for the 3rd overall.

Is that good?

Edit: my thoughts are... if Barkov is as good as the scouts think he is going to be.... we'd be foolish not to pay that price for him. We can easily replace Gunnarson with a FA signing like Scuderi, or internally in the next 2-3 years. Barkovs don't come along very often based on scouts' feedback.

Last edited:

beer123

Nov 15, 2009

I can't stop the foam coming out of my mouth. Please let this happen! Hopefully they can keep Lecavalier, let Bozak walk, move Kadri to second line and Colborne can stay up.

Lecavalier
Kadri
Colborne
McClement

Looks respectable.

TMLife*

Auston Matthews
Jun 16, 2010
Victoria, BC
I'd jump on that. But we would have to have vinny on our roster this season and buy him out next. Depending on the roster players I'd do it

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 55s

Colton Orr is on the verge of getting a new two-year deal with TOR, worth a little less than $1M per year.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

I don't think Vinny could keep up with JvR and Kessel.

Grabs, Gunnarrsson, 1st for Vinny and #3 overall... even adding lesser parts, done and done.

Take Barkov or MacKinnon..

Trade Grabs, let Bozak walk... need to find/trade for a D or two, plus reup some of our other guys..

I'm not sure this makes sense from a TB perspective though.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County

Grabs, Gunnarrsson, 1st for Vinny and #3 overall... even adding lesser parts, done and done.

Trade Grabs, let Bozak walk... need to find/trade for a D or two, plus reup some of our other guys..

From a hockey perspective absolutely not ... From a financial perspective, yes ... Ownership could be pressuring to get rid of Vinny's contract

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Wow... talk about a rumour of all rumours.

Vinny
3rd overall (Barkov)

for

Grabo
Gunnarson
1st
2nd
3rd

Then

Komisarek
(add Colborne/Blacker/Frattin/other, if needed)

for

RDP
15th overall (Horvat/Sammy Morin)
Reinhart/Strome

Could you imagine:

JVR - Lecavelier - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - Clarkson
UFA - Strome - Frattin/prospect
D'amigo - McClement - Orr/McLaren

Lawl. Oh well.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007

He's not Jason Allison... he was there best forward at times this season - yes, THIS season.

Would be a solid acquisition for us... but what's more telling than perhaps this deal specifically, is that leafs brass has given Nonis the go-ahead to leverage their financial power to help the team.

That's definitely a good thing.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
not that I buy it but get 3rd and then flip + Colborne or something to Fla for Bjugstad and Gudbranson

They get Mack and Drouin
Leafs get a top pairing right handed dman and top 6 C with size

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York

My guess on the roster players are Grabo/Kulemin/Frattin and Gunnarson/Franson. Likely a center going the other way to replace Vinny. Probably our 1st and 2nd this year too, maybe a 3rd as well.

Grabo
Gunnarson
21st overall
2nd round
3rd round

That's my guess. Grabo has $21 million over 4 years left, Vinny has $45 million over 7 years left. We swap a caphit of $2.2M this year, acquire a 1st line center for a year, and swap Gunnarson /Franson (they need D badly), our 1st and our 2nd (maybe our 3rd) for the 3rd overall.

Edit: you know, the more I think about it, it turns out to be

Gunnarson/Franson
21st overall
2nd round
3rd round
+$24M (Vinny buyout)

for the 3rd overall.

Is that good?

Edit: my thoughts are... if Barkov is as good as the scouts think he is going to be.... we'd be foolish not to pay that price for him. We can easily replace Gunnarson with a FA signing like Scuderi, or internally in the next 2-3 years. Barkovs don't come along very often based on scouts' feedback.

I know that Barkov better suits our needs, but at this point Drouin is still considered by most to be the BPA at third. Could Nonis stomach that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad