Speculation: 2013 Leafs Trades, Proposals, and Free Agent Talk XIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sep 14, 2009
Guelph
Cause of Skinners cap hit and him not being ideal I don't think so.

Skinner is a better player but I think Nonis is trying for Gagner cause he'd come in on a lower cap hit leaving cap space to fill the team out with good depth.

I also think Nonis is currently trying to take advantage of a new GM in Mctavish in the hopes that he'll make a desperation move to get the team into the playoffs this season.

Why does either team want Skinner?

Edmonton is loaded with small, skilled players -- why add another? And I believe Skinner has spent his entire NHL career on the wing? We don't need another winger with the assets that he brings. If we didn't have Kadri or Kessel I think we would be in on him -- but we need size.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Does anyone think the Leafs may try to capitalize on Skinner's down year and pick him up?

Something around Phaneuf for Skinner or maybe Gardiner+ for Skinner? I can see the Canes part with him given the 5th pick (Nichushkin/Barkov) will probably be able to play this year and the top 6 already has Staalx2, Semin and Tlusty

I know he's had a down year, but he's actually taking more shots than last year. His shooting % was really low (unsustainably low I'd say). I suppose it depends on what Nonis thinks of Skinner's injury history and whether or not the declining numbers make for a good buy low spot.

Imagine Skinner and Kessel together... they'd fly.

JVR-Skinner-Kessel
Lupul-Kadri-Grabo
xx-Colborne-Kulemin
D'Amigo-McClement-Orr/McLaren

With Komarov and Frattin now gone I would assume that Nonis will be looking to get grittier in the top 9. I think Clarkson, Clutterbuck and Bolland are all realistic options.

Skinner sucks at centre and our top 6 wingers are already very skilled. Carolina will not give him away, and would likely strip the Leafs down to trade for him.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
He's not considered to be all that great defensively though if I recall correctly. And then his offensive upside is really only that of a 2nd line C.

For a duo with Kadri, I think we EITHER need a very strong defensive centre good for 2nd line numbers, or we need a legitimate 1st line centre.

Obviously the two-way centre is a lot more realistic. Out of the young guys around the league, I think Bjugstad, Couturier, ROR, Couture, Zibanejed, Hertl, etc. make sense from our end.

In saying that, I think Couturier and Hertl are the only ones who would be remotely available. Florida has weak centre depth, ROR can't be traded until February, Ottawa loves their Swedes and we've never made a major trade with them, Couture is probably SJs longterm franchise player, etc. Our best shot is probably to trade up in the draft.

Hertl is not even remotely available. SJ's best prospect, took a giant step forward in development this year, by most accounts, and the SJ organization is absolutely smitten with the kid.

He was definitely up there with Z.Girgensons in the teens for me last year. It was Dimitrij Jaskin a year or two back. Czech kids are really starting to take the next step recently (I know Z.G. Is Latvian).

Gardiner Expressway

Dec 1, 2011
With Komarov and Frattin now gone I would assume that Nonis will be looking to get grittier in the top 9. I think Clarkson, Clutterbuck and Bolland are all realistic options.

Skinner sucks at centre and our top 6 wingers are already very skilled. Carolina will not give him away, and would likely strip the Leafs down to trade for him.

Yep, think you're right. According to Leftwinglock, Skinner played most of the year on J. Staal's right wing.

And given that he's under 6 feet and doesn't play much centre, I don't see why he's worth the extra it'd cost us to get Sam Gagner.

That being said I'm reluctant to go ahead with a top 6 that includes Kessel, Kadri and Sam Gagner (and I suppose Skinner for that matter) given that they're all tiny and, besides Kadri, pretty weak on the puck.

----

Does anyone have thoughts on converting Grabo to wing? His chemistry with wingers as a centre is pretty crummy and I think putting him at 3rd line is a total misuse of his offensive abilities. Only issues is that he's a left shot and wouldn't play LW above JVR and Lupul. Unless you can put Lupul back on RW? Or could you play Grabo on RW?

CmonLeafs

Oct 22, 2010
Ottawa
I know this is a really minor move, but I'd love to bring back Tim Brent to play on the 4th line. That guy was pure heart.

It's been confirmed he will be testing free agency:

Chip Alexander ‏@ice_chip
Rutherford again said all UFAs who finished season with Canes would go into free agency. "We'll see if any make their way back to us."

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
I know this is a really minor move, but I'd love to bring back Tim Brent to play on the 4th line. That guy was pure heart.

Rutherford again said all UFAs who finished season with Canes would go into free agency. "We'll see if any make their way back to us."

Far less effectual than a player like Boyd Gordon, who'd make a decent Komarov replacement.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Bryz got bought out....

The one thing I hate about this buyout rule is that cowboy GM's like Holmgren and Sather get off scot-free from their bonehead moves. Contracts like Bryz, Richards and Luongo should put a monkey wrench into these teams plans to get better, but instead they are free to cut ties and more forward like nothing happened.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
The one thing I hate about this buyout rule is that cowboy GM's like Holmgren and Sather get off scot-free from their bonehead moves. Contracts like Bryz, Richards and Luongo should put a monkey wrench into these teams plans to get better, but instead they are free to cut ties and more forward like nothing happened.

They are contributors to the revenue sharing so they should get some breaks.

What happens if the Leafs trade for DiPietro?

ChuckWoods

Sep 13, 2009

Its those big market teams that toss big money around to get big interest and big revenue shares that help this league work.

To sit there and tell them "tough luck" wouldn't exactly bode well with them during past and future CBA Negotiations.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
They are contributors to the revenue sharing so they should get some breaks.

What happens if the Leafs trade for DiPietro?

They better make a trade like that. Every other team is flexing their financial muscle, why not us, we have the most muscle.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008

I'd welcome him back on a one-year deal near the league minimum.

Lets us buy time to develop players like McKegg, Biggs, D'Amigo, Ashton by having them play lots of minutes in the minors vs. playing only around 10 minutes with the big club.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
They better make a trade like that. Every other team is flexing their financial muscle, why not us, we have the most muscle.

Because Burke never got us into any of those types of contracts so we have non to try and correct.

Loiselle has already stated they're looking for buy-out type contracts that will come with some compensation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad