Prospect Info: 2013 Habs Board Annual Prospect Rankings #6

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Can't believe that Dumont has a vote!?!

Absolutely no upside and likely a career tweener between the 4th line/press box/AHL.

I don't even consider players like him to be prospects as they are easily replaced with cheap waiver pick ups. Disposable assets if you will.....

jedimyrmidon

Nov 30, 2012
Toronto
Hudon is just so impressive.

Was great during the CAN-RUS challenge. Made Team Canada for the WJC last year (during a lockout year no less). Was rather good during his PTO in the AHL. He was also young for his draft class.

If he can stay healthy, I think he'll be quite a player.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I really like Hudon, but I had to vote for Nygren considering his production against men in Sweden.

Uwey

Jun 10, 2006
Lunenburg, NS
Magnus Nygren, he won the Borje Salming Award for the best D-man in the Swedish Elite League, that has to account for something given it is the European hockey league that is closest to the NHL game.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Magnus Nygren, he won the Borje Salming Award for the best D-man in the Swedish Elite League, that has to account for something given it is the European hockey league that is closest to the NHL game.

Best Swedish defenceman in the SEL. But, still a good award to win.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I had the pleasure of watching Hudon score his first AHL Goal live in Cedar Park, Texas. There is something special about this kid. You can almost predict he will have a solid NHL career. Intriguing prospect to say the least.

Uwey

Jun 10, 2006
Lunenburg, NS
Best Swedish defenceman in the SEL. But, still a good award to win.

So if he had won the best D-man award in the AHL, he would be considered a shoe in to move up to the NHL the following season, no???

IMO, the SEL is a better league than the AHL, thus I don't believe it is beyond reason to think this kid has enough talent to make the NHL. Which in turn makes me believe he is a damn good prospect, as many of our other prospects, may never get nothing more than a look in the AHL, forget about winning an award for being the best player of their position in the league!!!

Just sayin'

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
So if he had won the best D-man award in the AHL, he would be considered a shoe in to move up to the NHL the following season, no???

IMO, the SEL is a better league than the AHL, thus I don't believe it is beyond reason to think this kid has enough talent to make the NHL. Which in turn makes me believe he is a damn good prospect, as many of our other prospects, may never get nothing more than a look in the AHL, forget about winning an award for being the best player of their position in the league!!!

Just sayin'

Well, the big question with Nygren is how his game translates to North America. His overall game has improved significantly but he's still primarily a triggerman who will have less space to operate in North America. His skating isn't great and he will probably struggle to adjust to the physicality of North America, even if he's shown signs that he's willing to get slightly more gritty.

I'm a fan and I'm cautiously optimistic he can be what Weber was supposed to be, but there's still doubts. Plus he's 23, and therefore older than most of these other prospects.

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
These rankings are so biased due to the fact "we like this prospect better because we've seen more of him"...there's no way Lehkonen should be ranked behind Hudon. This kid has much more talent and has played well in the SM-liiga.

HockeyAddict

Nov 7, 2008
on an island
These rankings are so biased due to the fact "we like this prospect better because we've seen more of him"...there's no way Lehkonen should be ranked behind Hudon. This kid has much more talent and has played well in the SM-liiga.

Hudon I don't have too much of a problem with since the kids got serious talent but Leblanc having more votes I find strange.

Assuming this poll uses up-side potential as its main criteria.

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York

Lehkonen is my favourite of the players drafted this year by a considerable margin, but if you take into account "risk" over upside, then that's why I have Hudon ahead. Both have injury concerns but of the small wingers, Hudon might very well be the closest to NHL ready outside of Thomas.

Lehkonen is being underrated though, I agree.

Stripper

Mar 4, 2013
Arturri Lehkonen for me. Kid was already playing with men and was tearing it up. Youngest of his team as well. He finally started growing and is now 5'11. Hopefully, he'll have reached 6'00 next summer and will have added at least 15 to 20 pounds. He's going to be playing in the NHL 100% for sure.

KoZed

Mar 28, 2009
Q

Don't think people have seen much more of Collberg than they've had of Lehkonen, and Sebastian still ranked #4.

As for Hudon vs Lehkonen: if Artturi has a small edge on raw offensive talent & skills, Charles has the kind overall complete smart 2-way game that makes players of his kind coaches' darlings and fast NHL graduates.

That

Aug 25, 2012
Toronto

Couldn't that be easily spun around to say that "we like this prospect better because we're suffering from shiny new toy syndrome?" :dunno:

I certainly wouldn't describe Lehkonen as having "much more talent" than Hudon either. Flashier and better hands, but saying that Lehkonen has "much more talent" is either overrating Lehkonen or criminally underrating Hudon's ability.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad