2013 Frozen Four: Young concentrating on defensive play at Yale

HF Article

Nov 16, 2005

Junior defenseman Gus Young (COL) has blossomed into a tough and effective defensive defenseman for the Yale Bulldogs this season. He has played in all 35 games for that school, posting eight points (two goals, six assists) to date. Young is one of just three Colorado Avalanche prospects playing in the NCAA this season.

Hockey’s Future caught up with Young after practice on Wednesday at the Consol Energy Center in Pittsburgh, PA.

Hockey's Future: As an upperclassman, you’ve obviously been in the NCAA Tournament with Yale before. But did you ever think that you guys would be able to reach the Frozen Four, especially after what happened in the ECAC Tournament last month?… read more

More...

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
As good of place as any... after 1. Yale up 2-0. Young made a nice play to keep the puck in the zone on the second goal.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Outside of that last turnover, looks good again. Only seen a few games of his, but definitely worth getting on to LEM.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Hench what is his playing style like? Is he physical?

I wouldn't say he is physical, he can hit and hit hard but it isn't very often that he does. In the defensive zone he mainly relies on good positioning and a good stick to defend... he still has lapses in his positioning though. He really has trouble with players coming off the board behind him and sliding into the lower slot. Makes me question his hockey IQ a bit. On the rush he is very good at forcing players into the corner and doesn't get beat often to the outside. Has good spacing and pokecheck here.

He is a good skater and actually has a good crisp 1st pass, sometimes he is too willing to take a chance with that pass and will make a Hunwick like turnover. Solid wrist shot that is fairly accurate, and gets through. His slapper isn't very good and kind of wild at times. Good at holding the puck in the zone. Probably has more offensive skills than he shows... he seems tightly reigned in by the coaching staff.

As for overall style, defensive defensemen with good transition skills. Reminds me a bit of Alec Martinez of the LA Kings without the top end speed but better defensive stick. Take this with a grain of salt though... I have only watched ~4 games this year of his. He might be getting propped up by O'Gara on his pairing. IMO O'Gara is the most impressive player on Yale.

Stories

Science!
Sep 10, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
I wouldn't say he is physical, he can hit and hit hard but it isn't very often that he does. In the defensive zone he mainly relies on good positioning and a good stick to defend... he still has lapses in his positioning though. He really has trouble with players coming off the board behind him and sliding into the lower slot. Makes me question his hockey IQ a bit. On the rush he is very good at forcing players into the corner and doesn't get beat often to the outside. Has good spacing and pokecheck here.

He is a good skater and actually has a good crisp 1st pass, sometimes he is too willing to take a chance with that pass and will make a Hunwick like turnover. Solid wrist shot that is fairly accurate, and gets through. His slapper isn't very good and kind of wild at times. Good at holding the puck in the zone. Probably has more offensive skills than he shows... he seems tightly reigned in by the coaching staff.

As for overall style, defensive defensemen with good transition skills. Reminds me a bit of Alec Martinez of the LA Kings without the top end speed but better defensive stick. Take this with a grain of salt though... I have only watched ~4 games this year of his. He might be getting propped up by O'Gara on his pairing. IMO O'Gara is the most impressive player on Yale.

Kenny Agostino is by far the most skilled all-around player on the team. Andrew Miller is the best playmaker, but he's TINY. Tommy Fallen is the best PMD and offensive d-man. I honestly don't think Young has any shot of making it. As much as I want a Yale alum to be on the Avs... (me=Yale alum)

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Kenny Agostino is by far the most skilled all-around player on the team. Andrew Miller is the best playmaker, but he's TINY. Tommy Fallen is the best PMD and offensive d-man. I honestly don't think Young has any shot of making it. As much as I want a Yale alum to be on the Avs... (me=Yale alum)

Agreed. Though I think he should get a shot in Lake Erie to see what he can do. Agostino is by far the best forward, I just really like O'Gara's game everytime I have seen him play. I think he has a real NHL future.

Andrew Miller would be an interesting player to sign for Lake Erie. He should be a solid AHL player.

BTW Congrats. Enjoy the National Title game! Always exciting to see your school compete for a title.

Stories

Science!
Sep 10, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
Agreed. Though I think he should get a shot in Lake Erie to see what he can do. Agostino is by far the best forward, I just really like O'Gara's game everytime I have seen him play. I think he has a real NHL future.

Andrew Miller would be an interesting player to sign for Lake Erie. He should be a solid AHL player.

BTW Congrats. Enjoy the National Title game! Always exciting to see your school compete for a title.

Yeah, I'm excited :) Since I was a BU undergrad, 2009 was amazing for me. To then see my grad school win this year would be amazing!

Miller has serious skills, but I don't think he'd fare much better than Bobby Butler or Cory Conacher. I guess they did okay when they first entered the league, but had trouble keeping up with the physical side of the pro game. And Miller doesn't have blazing wheels to compensate for his size. But man, he's a slick playmaker.

I actually think Pittsburgh will seriously regret trading away Agostino. Kid has game. Calgary made a pretty decent move by getting him in the Iginla deal.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Holy crap, who the hell is Connor Hellebuyck??! The guy had a beast of a performance.

Quite the goalie prospect for Winnipeg. My first time seeing him has been in this tournament, he is a stud. Not incredibly athletic, but big and very sound.

Agostino has been very impressive in the latest games I have seen. He actually might have been a decent pickup in that deal.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
He was fantastic tonight, reminds me of a way better skating versions RoB.

But the real question is who the hell is 28 on Yale?? Holy crap he is good.

droughs

Apr 10, 2013
Hamilton

28 i believe is Antoine Laganière(undrafted free agent)really hoping avs go after him

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012

And much, much better hands. He doesn't panic when he has the puck.

Laganiere will probably go to Vancouver. :cry:

Stories

Science!
Sep 10, 2006
Los Angeles, CA

Sure you're not confusing him with 18 (Kenny Agostino)? ;) 28 has some skill, but Agostino is the best player on this team. Miller is a great player, too. Although he's a bit slight.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad