2013 Ducks toughness thread (with updates)

Dirk316

Nov 8, 2004
St Petersburg, Fl
Like ive said from the beginning this coach is why the team will go nowhere in the postseason.
Its a shame Carlyle was fired despite having a horrible lineup and am injured Hiller. He would have taken this lineup with all the talent added the grit forced the stars to not be lazy and probably swept the red Wings

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
This team does need to get tougher. Full season of Maroon will help.

I'd like to see a true heavyweight enforcer like Brian McGrattan brought in.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
The games they won, they forechecked and hit the defense the entire game. The ones they didn't, they didn't. I'm not sure why there's the assumption that Boudreau told them to stop hitting, rather than the players not executing what they were supposed to be doing.

Last edited:

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
I have had enough of this soft team. bring in some tough players and get back to pushing teams around.

Dirk316

Nov 8, 2004
St Petersburg, Fl
The games they won, they forechecked and hit the defense the entire game. The ones they didn't, they didn't. I'm not sure why there's the assumption that Boudreau told them to stop hitting, rather than the players not executing what they were supposed to be doing.

have you not noticed since Boudreau has been here the lack of overall aggression? Its not just the role players but everyone
You are gonna tell me Getzlaf, Perry and Ryan are playing just as physical as they used when Carlyle was coach? BB has a turn the other cheek soft hockey mentality and thats why he is never gonna be a playoff winner.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
have you not noticed since Boudreau has been here the lack of overall aggression? Its not just the role players but everyone
You are gonna tell me Getzlaf, Perry and Ryan are playing just as physical as they used when Carlyle was coach? BB has a turn the other cheek soft hockey mentality and thats why he is never gonna be a playoff winner.

If by extracurricular stuff I agree, but Getzlaf has been a prototypical power forward this year (sans fighting) and throws hits and finishes checks as much as ever. Perry seemed to stop the hitting during his Hart year, his lower physicality (and especially his cheap shot play) went way down well before Boudreau arrived. Ryan is Ryan. He shows up or he doesn't, but this is an average year for him in hits. But the team came out and was forechecking and throwing hits in Game 1, and in the parts of the other games they were winning. I think the team looked worn out, tired and possibly injured as the round went on. Or the season for that matter - the 3rd line was much more physical at the start of the year. They aren't thugging it up, and they aren't throwing hits solely to punish, but I think Boudreau's system actually works best when the forwards are actually making contact aggressively. He's not playing a soft euro-style puck possession game. He is playing a clean stop taking stupid penalties game, which (given the ineptitude of the PK) is a wise tactical choice.

2faded

Jul 3, 2009
Torrance, CA

Yes, hitting the other team we definitely need to do more often. But we still should have taken this in 5 games. If Perry showed up at all offensively, we would have. Not to mention Hiller giving up way to many rebounds. I can think of quite a few reasons why we lost other than toughness, and if we did one of them better we would've won this series anyways.

I do agree that we need to be LITTLE tougher though. We are missing balance.

Last season, we were too small up front and on D. I think we almost have the right balance on forwards when it comes to a combination of offense/size/speed/skill (as a whole). But, I do agree they need a little more size/toughness. I think Maroon should fix that.

Last season, we had much more puck movement from the back end but they got pushed around. This year we corrected that and got size, but we went too far. 4/6 of our D rimming the puck around the boards back to Detroit every time they touched it, and them being painfully slow, is much higher on the list than toughness of reasons why we lost. Got to find that balance. Don't just dump Sbisa, Allen, Souray. We need to keep 1-2 and replace them with someone that can move the puck. I think it'll probably be Vatanen because I think Murray is bringing up our prospects sooner that most of you guys expect. That's based on how he handled our forward group this year. And, I actually think that is a good idea.

pesko

Sep 14, 2004
We need a power forward type of player with net-front presence for the second line. I'm fine with Beleskey-Steckel-Maroon(/Staubiz for regular season games) as the fourth line "toughness" wise.

Sbisa could be upgraded for a more physical two-way top-4 defenseman. I doubt we could move Souray or Allen for one.

Dirk316

Nov 8, 2004
St Petersburg, Fl
We need a power forward type of player with net-front presence for the second line. I'm fine with Beleskey-Steckel-Maroon(/Staubiz for regular season games) as the fourth line "toughness" wise.

Sbisa could be upgraded for a more physical two-way top-4 defenseman. I doubt we could move Souray or Allen for one.

Clowe

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Pretty much what is wrong with the 2 clowns in charge
Hopefully we can have Burke and Murray swap positions

You mean the same Burke who devastated our prospect pool, and put the Ducks into a terrible cap situation? Yeah. I'd love to go back to that.

And yes, I realize we won the Cup under Burke, but keep in mind that a significant portion of that team was there before Burke took over. He made the moves to put us over the edge, but he had a terrific foundation to build on.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
You mean the same Burke who devastated our prospect pool, and put the Ducks into a terrible cap situation? Yeah. I'd love to go back to that.

And yes, I realize we won the Cup under Burke, but keep in mind that a significant portion of that team was there before Burke took over. He made the moves to put us over the edge, but he had a terrific foundation to build on.

I'm not a HUGE Burke guy, but he did do a pretty solid job in Toronto. He shouldn't have been fired there. That team he put together is already super competitive in the short time he was there.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
I'm not a HUGE Burke guy, but he did do a pretty solid job in Toronto. He shouldn't have been fired there. That team he put together is already super competitive in the short time he was there.

I'm not sure I consider 5+ years that short.

I was typically very supportive of Burke while he was here, and even when he was gone, but having him take over right now would be a mistake, in my opinion. The team he would want to build just isn't here to build. He's never been a big fan of european talent, either. What do you think he's going to want to do with our prospect pool, to bring in more North American style players?

If Anaheim were in the situation Toronto were in, that would be one thing, but this team is already very competitive and it doesn't need a complete change in philosophy, which is exactly what Burke would probably want.

Dirk316

Nov 8, 2004
St Petersburg, Fl

devastated? :laugh:

prospects >>> being competitive
Good GMs acquire good players and actually fill holes
I know this is HF boards where Edm/Columbus etc > Boston Pittsburgh LA
Sorry you dont want to go back to having solid players, tough teams and playoff hardworking mentality head coaching that actually win

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia

I was typically very supportive of Burke while he was here, and even when he was gone, but having him take over right now would be a mistake, in my opinion. The team he would want to build just isn't here to build. He's never been a big fan of european talent, either. What do you think he's going to want to do with our prospect pool, to bring in more North American style players?

If Anaheim were in the situation Toronto were in, that would be one thing, but this team is already very competitive and it doesn't need a complete change in philosophy, which is exactly what Burke would probably want.
It would be quite the turn of events considering the award that Murray was just nominated for.:laugh:

Dirk316

Nov 8, 2004
St Petersburg, Fl

Burke is not anti Euro by any stretch im not sure where you get that, but yes he likes to mix in aggression with skill for a balanced attack which we actually need

Dirk316

Nov 8, 2004
St Petersburg, Fl
It would be quite the turn of events considering the award that Murray was just nominated for.:laugh:

shortened season if this was a full season this team may have finished 5-8th as down the stretch wasnt pretty. With that said he has 0% chance of even getting 1 nomination for that award

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
devastated? :laugh:

Go ahead and tell me I'm wrong, and please feel free to provide examples.

prospects >>> being competitive
Good GMs acquire good players and actually fill holes
I know this is HF boards where Edm/Columbus etc > Boston Pittsburgh LA
Sorry you dont want to go back to having solid players, tough teams and playoff hardworking mentality head coaching that actually win

I love how you try to put words in my mouth by saying something I never said. What I'm against is seeing a good team, with a lot of young talent talent, sacrificed because some posters have this delusion that Brian Burke will fix everything. Anaheim is already on the right path. I've been very critical of Murray in the past, but the simple truth is he's done a lot of good with this team, and the improvement is rather staggering.

It's not broken, Dirk. Maybe it could use some adjustments and fine-tuning, but this team isn't broken. It's on the right track. If I have my doubts, it's not in Murray, right now(who, BTW, is up for GM of the year) but Boudreau. I'd like to see how he does next year, but the decisions he made in the playoffs have me a little concerned.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad