2013 Ducks toughness thread (with updates)

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Oh ok.

and i also hope Devo bounces back. He showed great potential.

as far as Clutterbuck goes, Minny fans said that he wasnt the guy everyone knowed anymore

snowave

Jan 7, 2012
Idaho
getting some toughness on this team is only going to do some good if the coach actually dresses the guy/s. Murray promises more toughness, but BB doesn't seem interested. There is a disconnect there that seems to be the white elephant.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
It means people finish checks. They start scrums. They don't skate away. They don't turn and skate away (what I disliked most about DSP). They target players who take out our players with heavy/borderline hits. They punish people legally. They fight in heat of the moment times, not in staged fights. Getzlaf, Perry, Ryan, Winnik, Etem, Maroon, Beleskey are all capable, as is every single D other than Fowler and Vatanen. They just need to actually do it.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Why isn't Fowler or Vatanen "capable"? Everyone is capable of scrapping after a whistle instead of skating away. Heck Visnovsky has almost fought Byfuglien. Sure he would never win, but not backing down is something anyone is capable of. It has nothing to do with muscle, it's all in your head. I don't get why people think every physical player has to fight though.

Last edited:

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
If Fowler and Vatanen end up fighting next season I will be so pissed about this team. They shouldn't have to stand up for themselves. That's why you need a goon - to protect your young players and stars.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
If Fowler and Vatanen end up fighting next season I will be so pissed about this team. They shouldn't have to stand up for themselves. That's why you need a goon - to protect your young players and stars.

I wasn't implying they should be fighting, but just because you have goons on the team it doesn't mean your skill players will never scrap. The only way you can avoid that from happening is if you have an enforcer on the ice at all times, or your enforcers pulls a Godard and jumps off the bench and gets suspended...

Plenty of smallish skill players have taken a fight or two in their careers, that doesn't mean they didn't have any enforcers on their team to stand up for them. Some skill/small players simply wants to stand up for themselves once in a while, to show they won't let themselves get pushed around.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
I have no problem with our skilled players showing aggression. In fact, I encourage it. But having Fowler and Vatanen fight in the NHL is suicide. They both have no fighting experience in any league and would probably end up in the hospital with a broken face if they fought a guy with NHL fighting exp. the goal is to keep your skilled players on the ice. If we want to send Vatanen down to Norfolk and have him learn how to stick up for himself, then fine. I'd prefer seeing one of the more experienced fighters like Maroon, Beleskey or Staybitz step in to fight if Vatanen gets hit illegally or something IMO

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Why isn't Fowler or Vatanen "capable"? Everyone is capable of scrapping after a whistle instead of skating away. Heck Visnovsky has almost fought Byfuglien. Sure he would never win, but not backing down is something anyone is capable of. It has nothing to do with muscle, it's all in your head. I don't get why people think every physical player has to fight though.

Fighting was the smallest aspect of what I was talking about. Regarding those two, to be physically punishing, you have to be of a mentality AND size capable if being physically punishing, and they fail IMO to meet one or both criteria. The goal should not be to require rescue when you start something. I completely agree they don't have to be backing down, but they don't need to be the aggressors either.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
He's losing badly, but this seemed like the best place for this

I thought it was interesting that Corey Perry's weak fight with Ballard beat out that Beleskey fight for the Ducks fight of the year. I the Beleskey tilt was far better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad