Prospect Info: 2013 Draft Thread: "Shoo-in for Nichushkin"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Competitive as long as you have two top-10 defensemen and one top-5 goaltender in the world going balls out.

They need More Talent, because they have almost none.

And one of the top coaches in the league, even if he has no neck.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I have been re-watching the WJC in Russia- looking closely at Nichushkin. Fairly underwhelming performance for a player that is supposed to challenge for a top 5 position.

He has size but doesn't use it effectively- compare this to Elias Lindholm, the 6 foot center, who seemingly never missed an opportunity to crash and bang.

His play making wasn't striking, but it wasn't absent.

He can skate. There is no doubting that his size and skating alone makes him an attractive package.

I just don't see enough. If Barkov/Monahan/Lindholm are off the board at 7, I advocate a fall back strategy and bring an active player to our team.

Now go back and watch MacKinnon at the world juniors as well.

Based solely on his performance there, teams should also be thinking twice about picking him... instead... there's no way he falls past #2.

Moral of the story... 1 tournament does not make/break a player.

Lewy

May 26, 2011
I think Nichushkin might have a bit of Dustin Penner in him. Big, very skilled, obviously a much better player than Penner was at this age, but can't seem to drag that big body into the fire every night. If he proves me wrong, he will become a hell of a player. I don't think he makes it to 7.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
If Mackinnon and Drouin go #1 and 2, why would Tampa Bay pass on Jones?

Don't they need defensive help too?

Hemsky4PM

Jun 25, 2003
Billeting Ales
Visit site
MacKinnon, Droin and Barkov are safer picks than Jones. Just a reality of defense at the NHL level.

I can see a scenario where Jones falls to Nashville's pick at no 4. Florida probably still takes him though.

SterlingArcher

Mar 11, 2013
If mackinnon is taken first overall I think jones slides down to three. Although he probably is bpa at 2 I think Florida likes their young d core moving forward and will take drouin hoping that huberdeau can develop into a centre.

OiledUp

Sep 17, 2011
So I thought I'd chime in on some of the swedish prospects for this draft. Other swedish posters feel free to disagree or add to what I'm writing.

Elias Lindholm, I've been giving my two cents on him already. I'd be more than fine with Lindholm at #7. Two-way, playmaking centre with grit. Guys that produce at his pace in the SEL predraft pretty much always ends up superb NHLers. I'd guess he projects somewhere between great 2nd line and franchise center. The Oiler brass doesn't seem to high on him though.

Alexander Wennberg, surprisingly good season with Djurgården in the SEL2, typical swedish player with amazing wheels, good two way play and some skill. Doubt you'll ever see massive production from him at the NHL level, at least not for the first few seasons, however the way his development curve points he could surprise in this regard. But more probably a good 2nd/great 3rd liner.
Not likely to be an Oiler, it would be way to early to pick him at #7. If he drops to 37 I'd be all over him but I doubt he does.

Jakob de la Rose, to me this guy is a perfect 2nd round pick for the Oilers. Good size and great physical tools, good skater, some nastiness and pretty soft hands. I think there is a good chance he really takes off offensively the next few years but if he doesnt he'll likely end up a great 3rd liner who can move into the top 6 at times and at the very least he is a solid 3rd liner/great 4th liner. Has a lot of things this team lacks but might be gone before the 1st round is over, a lot of teams dream of guys with his set of tools.

Robert Hägg, a lot of teams dream of that smoothskating, puckmoving swedish d man as well these days. Hagg has all that in spades, he also has one of the better shots I've seen from a swedish d prospect in a while. Did have a pretty quiet season in the SEL but apparently did great in the junior team. If he gets all his tools together I'd say he could be another top pairing d man out of sweden. Has his ups and downs in his own zone but a few seasons in the SEL will likely remove the kinks.
Hagg is in a lot of peoples first round and will likely be gone by the Oilers second pick(#7 is too early to pick imo) but in a deep draft like this who knows, I think we'll see a lot of european players drop.

Andre Burakowsky, can't say I'm a massive fan. Offensive skill and great potential, skating, skill and shot is top notch but hasn't been able to translate it to success against men yet. Boom/bust kind of prospect. Hockey IQ is a question mark as is work ethic.
Unless he really drops I don't think there's a chance in hell he'll be an Oiler. Someone will probably take a flyer on him between 25-45.

Anton Cederholm, strong as an ox, stay at home guy, in the Douglas Murray mould but a better skater and not quite as mean. Would be a nice mid round pick up. Will never be a big point producer. Will have a great chance to develop with Rögle in the SEL2 having Andreas Lilja as his mentor next year, hopefully he doesn't get any skating tips...

Peter Cehlarik, Slovak playing in sweden, his development curve is just insane from what I've heard and if it continues this is a top 6 player. Only saw him myself in his short SEL spell. Good size, board work, ok skill, solid playmaking and scoring, so so skating. A much more skilled Harti perhaps. In the later rounds he's a brilliant pick up.

Andreas Johnsson, this is my "genius" late rounder. Small skillplayer, I know a lot of you will run away screaming but hear me out, he's got skill and playmaking, some flair, works hard and is a great skater, shoots the puck ok and his dad is a long time pro and NT player so he should know what it takes to make it all the way. He's dad is also 6'2 so there should be some room to grow. With the new CBA you can keep players up to 4 years in europe, he could be a star player by then. Boom/bust. Perfect late rounder. Detroit kind of pick.

zeus3007*

The possibility of

1. Colorado - Mackinnon (BPA)
2. Florida - Drouin (need a top end forward prospect, have enough d-prospects)
3. Tampa Bay - Nickushkin (apparently he's their target)
4. Nashville - Jones (They like their D. History tells us they put more stock into developing d-men than forwards)
5. Carolina - Nurse (See Tampa Bay)
6. Calgary - Barkov/Monahan (Big center)
7. Edmonton - Monahan/Barkov

is real

Not sure where you heard Nurse was Carolina's target. Rutherford has been pretty open in his want for a forward who can play next year. That would be Barkov out of the one's listed, if you are right about Tampa wanting Nichushkin (which I'm also not sold on).

zeus3007*

If mackinnon is taken first overall I think jones slides down to three. Although he probably is bpa at 2 I think Florida likes their young d core moving forward and will take drouin hoping that huberdeau can develop into a centre.

Agreed.

Ladra

Jan 29, 2011
I've very impressed with Lindholm and what he did in the SEL, both with attitude, iq and skill. I do believe he will be a star in the NHL.

I don't like wennberg or de la rose at all. Wennberg is imo pretty meh, blend. JDLR is streaky he can have some good shifts and then dissapear. I do belive he could be a great fourth liner, but I do believe he gets alot of hype because he is half Canadian, but imo he's pretty overrated (ofcourse I could be wrong:))

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Ok....now I have heard a lot of other things that makes me think the Oilers could end up with any of Barkov, Nichuskin, Monahan, Nurse or Zadorov. It sounded like trading down and picking Lazar was a distinct possibility based on what Stu MB MacGregor was saying.

I love it....kind of like Christmas when you know you have a real cool present but don't know what it is.

Musashi

May 23, 2012
Alberta
So I thought I'd chime in on some of the swedish prospects for this draft. Other swedish posters feel free to disagree or add to what I'm writing.

Elias Lindholm, I've been giving my two cents on him already. I'd be more than fine with Lindholm at #7. Two-way, playmaking centre with grit. Guys that produce at his pace in the SEL predraft pretty much always ends up superb NHLers. I'd guess he projects somewhere between great 2nd line and franchise center. The Oiler brass doesn't seem to high on him though.

Alexander Wennberg, surprisingly good season with Djurgården in the SEL2, typical swedish player with amazing wheels, good two way play and some skill. Doubt you'll ever see massive production from him at the NHL level, at least not for the first few seasons, however the way his development curve points he could surprise in this regard. But more probably a good 2nd/great 3rd liner.
Not likely to be an Oiler, it would be way to early to pick him at #7. If he drops to 37 I'd be all over him but I doubt he does.

Jakob de la Rose, to me this guy is a perfect 2nd round pick for the Oilers. Good size and great physical tools, good skater, some nastiness and pretty soft hands. I think there is a good chance he really takes off offensively the next few years but if he doesnt he'll likely end up a great 3rd liner who can move into the top 6 at times and at the very least he is a solid 3rd liner/great 4th liner. Has a lot of things this team lacks but might be gone before the 1st round is over, a lot of teams dream of guys with his set of tools.

Robert Hägg, a lot of teams dream of that smoothskating, puckmoving swedish d man as well these days. Hagg has all that in spades, he also has one of the better shots I've seen from a swedish d prospect in a while. Did have a pretty quiet season in the SEL but apparently did great in the junior team. If he gets all his tools together I'd say he could be another top pairing d man out of sweden. Has his ups and downs in his own zone but a few seasons in the SEL will likely remove the kinks.
Hagg is in a lot of peoples first round and will likely be gone by the Oilers second pick(#7 is too early to pick imo) but in a deep draft like this who knows, I think we'll see a lot of european players drop.

Andre Burakowsky, can't say I'm a massive fan. Offensive skill and great potential, skating, skill and shot is top notch but hasn't been able to translate it to success against men yet. Boom/bust kind of prospect. Hockey IQ is a question mark as is work ethic.
Unless he really drops I don't think there's a chance in hell he'll be an Oiler. Someone will probably take a flyer on him between 25-45.

Anton Cederholm, strong as an ox, stay at home guy, in the Douglas Murray mould but a better skater and not quite as mean. Would be a nice mid round pick up. Will never be a big point producer. Will have a great chance to develop with Rögle in the SEL2 having Andreas Lilja as his mentor next year, hopefully he doesn't get any skating tips...

Peter Cehlarik, Slovak playing in sweden, his development curve is just insane from what I've heard and if it continues this is a top 6 player. Only saw him myself in his short SEL spell. Good size, board work, ok skill, solid playmaking and scoring, so so skating. A much more skilled Harti perhaps. In the later rounds he's a brilliant pick up.

Andreas Johnsson, this is my "genius" late rounder. Small skillplayer, I know a lot of you will run away screaming but hear me out, he's got skill and playmaking, some flair, works hard and is a great skater, shoots the puck ok and his dad is a long time pro and NT player so he should know what it takes to make it all the way. He's dad is also 6'2 so there should be some room to grow. With the new CBA you can keep players up to 4 years in europe, he could be a star player by then. Boom/bust. Perfect late rounder. Detroit kind of pick.

Awesome! Thanks for this

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
So what is the main difference between Barkov and Nichushkin ?

To me it seems like the position they play is the only reason Barkov is ranked higher.

If Barkov was moved to wing in NHL like many before him... who would you rather have?

Size >> almost the same
Speed >> Nichushkin
NHL sized ice >> none
Play against men >> both

Boondock Saint

Mar 6, 2003
I've very impressed with Lindholm and what he did in the SEL, both with attitude, iq and skill. I do believe he will be a star in the NHL.

I was browsing hockeydb.com and found that Lindholm's two seasons pre-draft in Brynas are almost identical to Nicklas Backstrom's two pre-draft seasons on the same team. Pretty impressive numbers for a 17 year old in that league.

Nicklas Backstrom

Elias Lindholm

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005

So

Wennberg >> Paajarvi 2.0
De Le Rose >> taller Lander
Hagg >> Klefbom 2.0
Johnsson >> Omark

gotcha!!

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

To me it seems like the position they play is the only reason Barkov is ranked higher.

If Barkov was moved to wing in NHL like many before him... who would you rather have?

Size >> almost the same
Speed >> Nichushkin
NHL sized ice >> none
Play against men >> both

Barkov has the mental aspects to go along with the physical gifts.

Much better hockey sense and two-way player

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
He just released the last 10-1 part today.

Kind of a surprise pick at #1. Love it though.

Sounds like he's saying the same that I am about Verhaeghe. If we want center depth... steal this guy in a later round if he is there.

19. Carter Verhaeghe - Forward - Niagara IceDogs
Easily one of the most underrated prospects available from the OHL. Verhaeghe is just a solid all around player. For most of the season, he served as Niagara's 2nd line center and did a very admirable job. He's a very hard worker in all three zones who knows how to play without the puck. He's aggressive on the forecheck, effective along the boards and works hard on the backcheck. He's also a cerebral centerman who is adept at finding linemates off the rush or below the hash marks. He's smart with the puck on his stick and has great vision. He's also got good size and I think profiles well as an aggressive two-way centerman at the NHL level (think Windsor's Brady Vail). He was the final add to the Canadian Under 18 team this year and I thought he did a fantastic job given the depth role he received. He killed penalties well for Canada and was a factor in outworking opposing defenses. Next year, Niagara will need a new captain and I believe he's a serious candidate for that position. Verhaeghe is just a solid meat and potatoes guy who I think plays in the NHL in the future.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
He just released the last 10-1 part today.

Kind of a surprise pick at #1. Love it though.

Not sure how much he's watched nurse but he most definitely does not have a cannon of a shot. I can see that from barely watching him.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012

Size >> almost the same
Speed >> Nichushkin
NHL sized ice >> none
Play against men >> both

Barkov is the overall better player, much more dynamic offensively and defensively I'd say.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
He's been boosting Nurse all year. I'm not too surprised. Nurse has a lot of hate on these boards for some reason.

Because he's being way to overhyped. If he was 6 feet tall he'd be going early in the 2nd round IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad