Prospect Info: 2013 Draft Thread | "Falling Flat for Horvat"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
The problem I have with Nurse is that I don't think his physical game will transfer to the NHL with his build. He's tall and somewhat skinny, he'll need to put on a lot of muscle if he wants to be able to play physical with the NHL'ers. Also he doesn't have much of a shot from the point, reminds me of Justin Schultz a bit in this sense as he uses his wrist shot mostly. Where as Pulock in my mind at worst is a less physical Johnny Boychuk and at best you get an Al Macinnis. And he's probably good enough to start on a lot of bottom pairings throughout the league where as Nurse won't be for at least a year probably closer to 3 or more.

If Subban can do it at 6'0" 200lbs .. Nurse can as well.. Fitness\Physical weakness is not going to be an issue for this kid. At worst we get Petry that fights.

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB
What does everyone think of Horvat at 7 plays for London so he's in a great system he wil play for the Mem cup this year and next.

Also how does he compare to Lazar, I've seen Lazar plenty of times, Horvat once or twice, I will be at the Mem Cup in Saskatoon, so il get a good look there.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
Should do a poll, if we can't draft Mackinnon or Barkov, which center do we want:

Monahan
Lindholm
Lazar
Horvat (?)
Gauthier (?)

IATL - how would you rank these players?

Oct 15, 2008
I dont really feel comfortable ranking them as my viewings of some of them are too few to form an informed opinion. If you want my uninformed opinion, for our team, I would like Monahan first, followed by Lazar/Horvat (I think those two are very close and bring a lot of the same things to the table), followed by Gauthier. I really dont know enough about Lindholm to rank him. However I do feel that for our team, the other four would be decent picks for us.

Nurse, Ristolainen and Zadorov are all compelling choices too, and each would fill a need on the back end.

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
Rather than see it as picking 7th overall, you could look at it as picking the 6th best forward or the 2nd best defenseman. I prefer to think of it as picking the 2nd best defenseman.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Just out of curiosity what was our last "picking for need" choice that panned out?

It always seems to blow up in our face.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Just out of curiosity what was our last "picking for need" choice that panned out?

It's a bad philosophy, especially in the NHL where prospects normally take longer to contribute. Draft the best players available in the 1st 2 to 3 rounds, accumulate assets and then if necessary use those abundance of good assets to go and get those missing pieces. If you want to add players of a certain position above talent level do that in mid to late rounds, even if most of them do not pan out.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB

Well picking at #7 when there is a good stock of elite looking talents... and in the Oilers case, having a multitude of needs... in theory it should be very hard for them to go wrong and screw it up even by picking for need. :)

Where they can screw up of course is trading down out of that elite group.. and thinking they are smarter than the average bear... which they very likely aren't.

Prospects who won't be at their best for 3-5 years (likely at the the soonest) aren't where you fill critical needs anyway. That's what the GM needs to do with trading other assets on the roster and with UFA/RFA acquisitions etc.

They simply need to choose the BPA who projects to be the best NHL player 5+ years down the road when they pick. Personally I think that's Nichushkin if he's still available at #7, but I'm sure cases can be made by others for Monahan, Lindholm, Nurse etc as well.

None of us has a crystal ball, nor do the GM's and scouts and some of these elite looking picks throughout the 1st round WILL be busts... just the nature of projecting forward 5+ years based on what a 17/18 year old is doing.

Oct 15, 2008

When was the last time ignoring glaring needs worked out?

How is the current configuration working out?

The idea that you always draft bpa regardless of need is a fallacy.

The team is broken. Adding another "offense first" forward is the last thing we need.

JJTopper

Registered Creeper
Jul 11, 2002
Visit site
When was the last time ignoring glaring needs worked out?

How is the current configuration working out?

The idea that you always draft bpa regardless of need is a fallacy.

The team is broken. Adding another "offense first" forward is the last thing we need.

Is that a drafting failure or the failure to make good trades/UFA signings?

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
If Nicushkin is still on the board at #7 I hope we take him. I know we need a center or defenceman more but I think he's to good to pass up over anyone that could be available at 7.

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
Rather than see it as picking 7th overall, you could look at it as picking the 6th best forward or the 2nd best defenseman. I prefer to think of it as picking the 2nd best defenseman.

That's some interesting logic, like how in 2004 the Wild took the best defenseman over the 3rd best forward. And ended up with Cam Barker over Andrew Ladd.

doubledown99

May 21, 2009
A source I know, cant say who so take it for what its worth told me the Oilers had Zadarov as there top defensemen after Jones.

Hmm well that is interesting. I thought for sure after listening to Stu that Nurse was #2. Stauffer did say they were high on a dman (out of Nurse, Zadarov and RR) but said he wouldn't say who...

I still want Monahan the most....

Not sure if drafting a defensive D in the top 10 is the smartest thing to do as L. Schenn example comes to mind but they would know better than us fans.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
That's some interesting logic, like how in 2004 the Wild took the best defenseman over the 3rd best forward. And ended up with Cam Barker over Andrew Ladd.

Using a monumental bust as an example can make any logic look interesting.

stoff

Apr 19, 2007
Hmm well that is interesting. I thought for sure after listening to Stu that Nurse was #2. Stauffer did say they were high on a dman (out of Nurse, Zadarov and RR) but said he wouldn't say who...

I still want Monahan the most....

Not sure if drafting a defensive D in the top 10 is the smartest thing to do as L. Schenn example comes to mind but they would know better than us fans.

I definitely don't think it is. You can get those players in any round and they are usually avialbale in FA. I would be pissed if they take a defensive d man in the top 10.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
I definitely don't think it is. You can get those players in any round and they are usually avialbale in FA. I would be pissed if they take a defensive d man in the top 10.

I hope your not one of the guys high on Nurse....

JJTopper

Registered Creeper
Jul 11, 2002
Visit site
You seem to be really against taking Nurse.

I'm curious what you've seen from him that makes you dislike him so much.

Think he's pointing out that Nurse has questionable offense. Some scouts say he's improving in that area, but it's still a big question mark. Who knows if that will be part of his game when he cracks the NHL. Might end up as more of a shutdown guy.

Tw0Shoes

Mar 15, 2007

Pretty sure Cam Barker was drafted by Chicago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad