Prospect Info: 2013 Draft [Part 8]: Unsolved Mysteries: MacKinnon, Drouin or Barkov? 4 Days Remain

Status
Not open for further replies.

AvsWraith

Jan 21, 2010
Colorado
You're saying that Barkov can't create plays? He's one of the best in entire draft. IMO Barkov is by decent margin better playmaker than MacKinnon and posesses better offensive vision.

I just found a video which includes Barkov's all shifts from one game. This is 8months old video and Barkov is #16 with the golden helmet. You can see that Barkov glides alot but when he sees the openings he can skate suprisingly fast. You can see how he helps the D pushing opposite player to the boards to Defenseman can just pick up the puck. Again Barkov was just turned 17 and he played against grown up men. It's not like playing against 16-19 year old and make highlight reel dekes against them. This is not a highlight reel but all shifts from one game so you can get better picture of his game.

And Barkov uses his size very well at puck battles. He isn't punishing but playing hard. I count like 3 or 4 hits in that game. Using word soft is wrong. If Barkov is soft then i would call Mikko Koivu as soft too...

Thanks for posting these. The thing I was most worried about Barkov was his skating, but from the videos, it seems fine. I actually thought it was gonna be a lot worse.

IndustryLeech

Jan 23, 2013
Fort Collins, CO
Honestly, not being drafted #1 will probably be the best thing that could have happened to Jones, assuming that's what actually happens. He will be far less scrutinized even being taken #2.

Avs For Life

#92 #9 #29
Jul 4, 2012
Denver, CO
Honestly, not being drafted #1 will probably be the best thing that could have happened to Jones, assuming that's what actually happens. He will be far less scrutinized even being taken #2.

I think this is what is REALLY interesting. If Jones is take #1 by us, he is likely to be a bust...but now that we WONT take him at #1 and he will be taken somewhere in the top 4 he is more likely to succeed which will make it look like we missed out on Jones...

Last edited:

raistlin76

Sep 18, 2004
Cracow
www.nhl.com.pl
I think this is what is REALLY interesting. If Jones is take #1 by us, he is likely to be a bust...but now that we WONT take him at #1 and he will be taken somewhere in the top 4 he is more likely to succeed which will make it look like we missed out on Jones...

Murphy's Law, we don't take Jones he will be franchise d-man.

Somebody (I can't find it now there is too many threads and posts about almost the same right now ;) ) mentioned that Bob McKenzie told that some scouts now have Barkov ahead of MacK and Drouin. McKenzie final rankings will be unveil on Tuesday. I wonder how Sakic's "coming out" and all revelations that Barkov "could be the guy" will influence decision of scouts that work with McKenzie. I think they may changed their mind and put Seth on 4th place and MacK or even Barkov on No 1. I don't think they want situation where the missed their pick and their No 1 is not the one selected 1st overall.

MvpKinnon

Jul 23, 2011
Helsinki, Finland
I literally have no idea anymore. First it was supposed to be Jones with 98% certainty, now he's down to something like 15%

I have a gut feeling they'll get something from Tampa or Nashville for trading down. They won't get much back but maybe they will take what they get because each of those 4 players are amazing

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Murphy's Law, we don't take Jones he will be franchise d-man.

Somebody (I can't find it now there is too many threads and posts about almost the same right now ;) ) mentioned that Bob McKenzie told that some scouts now have Barkov ahead of MacK and Drouin. McKenzie final rankings will be unveil on Tuesday. I wonder how Sakic's "coming out" and all revelations that Barkov "could be the guy" will influence decision of scouts that work with McKenzie. I think they may changed their mind and put Seth on 4th place and MacK or even Barkov on No 1. I don't think they want situation where the missed their pick and their No 1 is not the one selected 1st overall.
That was me, but he tweeted it on 5/27 after the Memorial Cup. And I was wrong, it wasn't multiple, it was "at least one scout" who he said knows had Barkov ahead of both. I cant quote it directly from my phone. Who knows what has changed now, but with him mentioning Barkov in his tweet about whose ranked #1, it made me think that maybe someone might have him there.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
That was me, but he tweeted it on 5/27 after the Memorial Cup. And I was wrong, it wasn't multiple, it was "at least one scout" who he said knows had Barkov ahead of both. I cant quote it directly from my phone. Who knows what has changed now, but with him mentioning Barkov in his tweet about whose ranked #1, it made me think that maybe someone might have him there.

https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/status/339031096563994624

‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
Some scouts have Drouin ahead of MacKinnon, and vice vera obviously, and I know at least one who has Aleksander Barkov ahead of both of them

Mr Serious

Jul 23, 2011

Pracey is that you?

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
BTW Barkov models himself on Lindros... what if he refuse to put AVS sweater? :sarcasm: Maybe we end up with second coming of Forsberg? ;)

I know you're kidding but Barkov said in a recent interview that he would love to play for Avs.. the team that has great history and players like Sakic and Forsberg.

But he's a Finn so he's likely talking out of his ass. He would never play on a team where some ****ing Swede is teh captain.

R S

Sep 18, 2006

This. I've said this often myself.

For me personally, drafting Jones at 2nd or 3rd overall is much more appealing than 1st overall. I know opinions are just opinions, but allowing him to develop without the pressure and stigma of being a 1st overall defenseman would be extremely tempting.

Mr Serious

Jul 23, 2011
This. I've said this often myself.

For me personally, drafting Jones at 2nd or 3rd overall is much more appealing than 1st overall. I know opinions are just opinions, but allowing him to develop without the pressure and stigma of being a 1st overall defenseman would be extremely tempting.

That curse of the draft lottery :laugh:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I think this was mentioned before in this thread or the previous ones... in 2002 Columbus and Florida swapped picks for the option to swap picks in the 2003 draft. What if Florida offered the choice to swap picks in 2014 or 2015 in exchange for swapping picks this year? I think the Avs will be significantly better than Florida next year (Florida is probably bottom 5 and Avs ~17-20)... that could be a swap of #4 for #11 next year. Which could net a player like Ekblad or Reinhart. I probably wouldn't do the deal, but an interesting thought.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
I think this was mentioned before in this thread or the previous ones... in 2002 Columbus and Florida swapped picks for the option to swap picks in the 2003 draft. What if Florida offered the choice to swap picks in 2014 or 2015 in exchange for swapping picks this year? I think the Avs will be significantly better than Florida next year (Florida is probably bottom 5 and Avs ~17-20)... that could be a swap of #4 for #11 next year. Which could net a player like Ekblad or Reinhart. I probably wouldn't do the deal, but an interesting thought.

Interesting thought, but I think there's a very good chance that the Avs are terrible next year as well and don't really get much from this move.

Thepoolmaster

Dec 3, 2011

I'd be hesitant to do it but would be much more ok with it if we didn't swap we got something. Like a second or third. And even then I would still be hesitant.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Interesting thought, but I think there's a very good chance that the Avs are terrible next year as well and don't really get much from this move.

It would be a ballsy move, and Roy and Sakic would have to improve the team. I think it is pretty safe to say that Florida will be worse.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
I don't think the 2014 1st will be available for something like that because I can see Roy and Sakic moving it to improve the team now. Isn't the 2014 draft regarded as pretty weak?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I don't think the 2014 1st will be available for something like that because I can see Roy and Sakic moving it to improve the team now. Isn't the 2014 draft regarded as pretty weak?

Yeah... will be the worst draft in a while. Ekblad, Reinhart, and Nylander are all very good prospects though. It will have a good top 5, but really start to taper after that IMO.

I suggested 14 or 15 (at the Avs' discretion) so the 14 1st would still be in play. They would just have the option to swap in 15 instead.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I really hope Sakic/Roy aren't going to take a forward because they want to win right now and want someone who will make an immediate impact. That's just as bad as drafting Jones just because we need a defenseman. Take who you think is the BPA and who will be the best for years to come.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!

I'd rather just try and get their 2nd rounder. In this draft, that is almost as valuable as a swap next year

Mr Serious

Jul 23, 2011

That's what the word is. I could see us dangling that pick out to try and fill a need (similar to the Varly trade).

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I really think Avs are gonna trade down to get Drouin. They said they want one of the top 3 forwards, I don't know if they want a center.

Unless they are surely willing to trade Stastny, they can't fit in another top center on that roster.

You got Duchene, ROR, Stastny and if they pick Mac who plays where all being natural centers?

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Of all three forwards I prefer Drouin the least. I've done extensive Youtube scouting and I'm not sure his high risk dangles translate to the NHL. Barkov brings size, unparalleled playmaking skill and a decent shot. Mackinnon brings a clearly translatable flashy game to the NHL.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Of all three forwards I prefer Drouin the least. I've done extensive Youtube scouting and I'm not sure his high risk dangles translate to the NHL. Barkov brings size, unparalleled playmaking skill and a decent shot. Mackinnon brings a clearly translatable flashy game to the NHL.

There's more to Drouin's game then dangles you think NHL scouts have him in the top 3 because all he can do is deke 18 year olds? There's nothing that says he can't do it in the NHL too.

Unparalleled, in terms of finish players sure but in this draft IT"S DROUIN by far. His vision is unmatched, his passing skills are just as good and not too mention his off the charts hockey IQ. REally tho Drouin can put the puck where ever he likes on the ice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad