2013 CIS Playoffs

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Aca-smu

While a split is good, I saw a couple of not so good things in the game.

A SMU player went knee-on-knee with Thompson and no call was made. I guess Thompson voiced his opinion and was given a 10. He's out for half the 2nd period. Late in the game he "shoved" a linesman and got another 10. Will he get more? Don't know. I do know that Acadia needs him on the ice and not in the box. I understand his frustration with a non-call, etc, but he has to remain focussed. Cazzola negated a PP with a high sticking penalty late in the 3rd with Acadia down by 2.

Mosher was good and made a couple of dandy saves, but I thought the 2nd and 3rd goals "might" have been stopped. SMU's 4th goal was a result of bad coverage by Acadia.

The Huskies were more physical than in game 1, especially in the 2nd period, but Acadia was in the game until 2 goals in less than a minute sealed it for SMU.

All in all a good playoff game. Looking forward to the weekend games in Acadia.

cishockeyfan

Nov 5, 2007
In the UNB-UPEI Game the 7-2 Score is very deceiving

I thought UNB was looking very Rusty both from the 1st Rnd bye and having a couple of faces back in the lineup for the first time in a while. I also thought UPEI played very well, and they played extremely physical and hard.

UNB started to find their legs in the 3rd period while UPEI clearly lost their composure, started taking some bad penalties right when UNB was starting to roll.

I fully expect UNB to be better tonight, although the score will be closer, I dont think UNB has any chance to lose tonights game, however when they return to the Island anything can happen.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
First 'healthy' roster since Nov. 10th

I fully expect UNB to be better tonight, ......

With the return of Houde-Caron, this will be the first time since Nov. 10 (3-2 win on the island) that UNB will have their 'game day' roster at 100% (baring unreported injuries from lat night).

Taylor MacDougall was knocked out of the Nov. 10th game vs UPEI and didn't return until Christmas. Josh Kidd was knocked out of the Acadia game on Dec. 1st and didn't return until last night with other injuries on the way.

The only difference from Nov. 10th to now - Campbell in for Wudrick

This puts D-Men; Denny and Priamo in the stands along with forwards Salituro and Lynes.

In total, 27 players have dressed for UNB of which 4 were goalies leaving 23 skaters. If you remove Lynes you are at 22 which I believe is the new cap level.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
In the UNB-UPEI Game the 7-2 Score is very deceiving

I thought UNB was looking very Rusty both from the 1st Rnd bye and having a couple of faces back in the lineup for the first time in a while. I also thought UPEI played very well, and they played extremely physical and hard.

UNB started to find their legs in the 3rd period while UPEI clearly lost their composure, started taking some bad penalties right when UNB was starting to roll.

I fully expect UNB to be better tonight, although the score will be closer, I dont think UNB has any chance to lose tonights game, however when they return to the Island anything can happen.

It was deceiving. LaCosta was very, very good last night. He kept the door shut while UNB found their game.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
With the return of Houde-Caron, this will be the first time since Nov. 10 (3-2 win on the island) that UNB will have their 'game day' roster at 100% (baring unreported injuries from lat night).

Taylor MacDougall was knocked out of the Nov. 10th game vs UPEI and didn't return until Christmas. Josh Kidd was knocked out of the Acadia game on Dec. 1st and didn't return until last night with other injuries on the way.

This puts D-Men; Denny and Priamo in the stands along with forwards Salituro and Lynes.

In total, 27 players have dressed for UNB of which 4 were goalies leaving 23 skaters. If you remove Lynes you are at 22 which I believe is the new cap level.

I'm not a big Salituro fan, but he was flying out there last night and scored a pretty nice goal.

leafhky88

Mar 16, 2009
Toronto
Western 3, Waterloo 1. Very evenly played game. Scoreless after 2, Waterloo held a 1-0 lead with under 10 minutes to play. Western then got a couple of quick ones and added an empty netter. Waterloo could have taken this one, but Western won a lot of these kinds of games during the regular season so this was familiar territory for them. Leading scorer Zach Harnden, who was injured in the UOIT series and missed Game 2, was back tonight and scored the game winning goal

Both OUA West games looked to be close, with the home team coming away with the victory. Western has definitely done a good job of getting the win in most of their close games. Both Waterloo and Western have capable scorers, Western boasting Reese, Clarke, Elrich, Harnden, DeCoste and Peters, and Waterloo having Larson, Behenna, Hill and Smith.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB

Everyone loves to harp on McDougall but I don't think it is a coincidence they have been playing their best hockey of the year since he has come back. It would be interesting to see their defensive numbers (goals against average and penalty killing percentage especially) with him in the lineup vs. with him out.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
Some suspect officiating in tonight's UNB vs UPEI game. The call late on Shutron was especially bad since the ref was looking the other way when the hit occurred.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Some suspect officiating in tonight's UNB vs UPEI game. The call late on Shutron was especially bad since the ref was looking the other way when the hit occurred.

I have to disagree. There may have been a bad call or two but UNB took stupid penalties as well. They have been down two men three times already in this series. Deserved in my opinion.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
UPEI 4 UNB 2: The Panthers outworked, out played, out hit and out shot the Vreds on their way to a well deserved victory. They scored all four goals on special teams including two short handed! Vreds seemed surprised that the Panthers didn't roll over for them after they took the early lead.
I give full credit to the Panthers coaching staff for having his team ready after last nights drubbing.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
I have to disagree. There may have been a bad call or two but UNB took stupid penalties as well. They have been down two men three times already in this series. Deserved in my opinion.

There were plenty of we'll deserved penalties but there were also a lot of poor calls and poor none calls.

UPEI was the better team tonight and deserved the win, regardless.

Island Husky

Sep 18, 2008
Kensington PEI

Well was it an infraction or not? what about the other ref? besides if any of the officials saw it they can report it to the refs.

WilcoxHound

Aug 26, 2011
Despite the efforts of midget house league referees who were in way over their heads the Ottawa GeeGees came back to tie their series with Carleton tonight. With UO taking 26 minutes in penalties compared to Carleton's 8 the GG's took the lead half way through the 3rd after killing off a 5 on 3 disadvantage and hung on with some insane goalkeeping by Russell Abbott who stopped a game total 36 shots with 16 of those coming in the 3rd period. Dominic Jalbert led the GG's with 3 assists from his point position. U of O got strong games from Darren Miller and Mathieu Leduc killing penalties with the winning goal being scored by Jean-Bernard Voyer who really has a knack for scoring important goals. Now it's back to the Carleton Ice Box for the winner take all game on Sunday.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
Bad calls or good calls - there is no need to play the game that close to the edge. A number of PPs were countered by a second call and then some PKs became 5-3.

I can understand a team wanting to be tough and strong, but you can't do it to the point where it's defeatist.

I don't have an issue with most of the calls. UNB just didn't play well, didn't play like a team, just didn't do.

Missing Campbell hurt - that line wasn't very good with Salituro - not his fault, he hasn't played with them all year.

Credit to PEI, they probably put together their best game all year, but two lucky SHGs was the difference tonight against a average/poor UNB team. I can only hope they take this kick-in-the-pants and get there heads back in the game for games 3-4

UNB lost game 2 to SFX in the '11 AUS finals at home (in OT) and rebounded with a win in game 3 (yeah - they lost 4 and won 5 at home in OT, but it wasn't the end of the world - just time for them to respond).

Best game i've seen Lacosta play - super solid.

cishockeyfan

Nov 5, 2007
Bad calls or good calls - there is no need to play the game that close to the edge. A number of PPs were countered by a second call and then some PKs became 5-3.

I can understand a team wanting to be tough and strong, but you can't do it to the point where it's defeatist.

I don't have an issue with most of the calls. UNB just didn't play well, didn't play like a team, just didn't do.

Missing Campbell hurt - that line wasn't very good with Salituro - not his fault, he hasn't played with them all year.

Credit to PEI, they probably put together their best game all year, but two lucky SHGs was the difference tonight against a average/poor UNB team. I can only hope they take this kick-in-the-pants and get there heads back in the game for games 3-4

UNB lost game 2 to SFX in the '11 AUS finals at home (in OT) and rebounded with a win in game 3 (yeah - they lost 4 and won 5 at home in OT, but it wasn't the end of the world - just time for them to respond).

Best game i've seen Lacosta play - super solid.

Lacoste was solid he's had a great year.

I thought unb played a great first period everyone seemed to be puzzled how the shots were 13-5 for Upei. However unb was not good the rest of the game and the panthers were very good.

Strange choice by the coaching staff to put Salituro on the second line (arguably the top line with MacNeil and Pridham). Bryce Swan cannot keep up with the rest of the team, UNB'S worst player tonight as of late.

Unb in tough now two at the Island and the Panthers have confidence

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Despite the efforts of midget house league referees who were in way over their heads the Ottawa GeeGees came back to tie their series with Carleton tonight. With UO taking 26 minutes in penalties compared to Carleton's 8 the GG's took the lead half way through the 3rd after killing off a 5 on 3 disadvantage and hung on with some insane goalkeeping by Russell Abbott who stopped a game total 36 shots with 16 of those coming in the 3rd period. Dominic Jalbert led the GG's with 3 assists from his point position. U of O got strong games from Darren Miller and Mathieu Leduc killing penalties with the winning goal being scored by Jean-Bernard Voyer who really has a knack for scoring important goals. Now it's back to the Carleton Ice Box for the winner take all game on Sunday.

Yeah, it sucks that the CHL gets all the good refs. We have the same problem in the AUS.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
Well was it an infraction or not? what about the other ref? besides if any of the officials saw it they can report it to the refs.

It was a shoulder to shoulder check behind the net. The back official couldn't see it because of traffic in front of the net and the official that called it was watching a little jarring back along the boards. When he heard the hit he looked over and called Sutton for checking from behind - 2 + 10.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com

So - I no sooner post this that Campbell doesn't play :shakehead - so the 'full roster game' is wishful thinking. With Critchelow out for G3, we'll have to wait for G4.

SnipeShow91

Aug 9, 2010
UQTR destroys Nipissing 8-3. Both games that UQTR have played at home so far have been blowouts and lots of parades to the penalty boxes. Nipissing was given 121 minutes in penalties which is beyond unreal in a non fighting league. I'm going to have to watch the game film for when it comes available to see this gongshow.

leafhky88

Mar 16, 2009
Toronto
Windsor eliminates Guelph with a 1-0 win, and Waterloo forces game 3 with a 4-3 win against Western. Waterloo scored with less than 2 minutes in the 3rd to earn the win, despite being badly outshot in every period for a 47-24 total. With best two of three, game 3 is certainly clutch for both teams with lots on the line.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
So we have three deciding games on Sunday. In the OUA - Western vs Waterloo and Ottawa vs Carleton. In Canada West it is Saskatchewan vs Manitoba. As of right now only the latter game is shown as being webcast. Hopefully the two OUA games will as well.

Acadia vs SMU tomorrow night as well. The Huskies lead the best of five 2-1.

Dutch

May 17, 2006
Trois-Rivières
UQTR destroys Nipissing 8-3. Both games that UQTR have played at home so far have been blowouts and lots of parades to the penalty boxes. Nipissing was given 121 minutes in penalties which is beyond unreal in a non fighting league. I'm going to have to watch the game film for when it comes available to see this gongshow.

Part of those 121 minutes came from a brawl in the 3rd period started by Olivier Donovan (huge slash on the pads).

But the worst thing is that Brett Cook punched the linesman who was holding him. Not a push, an uppercut. We'll have to see how that unfolds but we've seen life bans for that kind of action.

I hate the rule that says you get suspended for a fight. That would prevent a ton of cheap shots if the players just got tossed out, especially in the playoffs when the team that is on the verge of being eliminated has nothing to lose.

SnipeShow91

Aug 9, 2010
Part of those 121 minutes came from a brawl in the 3rd period started by Olivier Donovan (huge slash on the pads).

But the worst thing is that Brett Cook punched the linesman who was holding him. Not a push, an uppercut. We'll have to see how that unfolds but we've seen life bans for that kind of action.

I hate the rule that says you get suspended for a fight. That would prevent a ton of cheap shots if the players just got tossed out, especially in the playoffs when the team that is on the verge of being eliminated has nothing to lose.

When it comes to the fighting rule, 1 game is fine. UQTR played Ryerson and Nipissing, not the two most innocent teams. I'd actually argue that when Jamie Wise joined Ryerson, they got even more dumb with their extra curriculars. If you played RMC, Queen's or even Concordia in the same situation, there wouldn't be any stupidity in the 3rd period of an already won UQTR hockey game.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
With a Saskatchewan win over Manitoba tonite, the Golden Bears will advance directly to the Nationals.
If Manitoba wins, they will face Alberta for the CanadaWest title and a Nationals berth. The Bears may get there by winning 2 games, both on home ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad