2013 CIS Playoffs

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Moncton certainly had their chances...they took a lead 9 minutes into the 3rd period only to see Acadia tie it only 9 seconds later....and then had a power plays with 4 minutes left in regulation, 15 seconds left in regulation and into the first overtime, and one in the second overtime.

WilcoxHound

Aug 26, 2011
The "Battle for the Capital" is on. Thank you Nipissing for earning the road trip to UQTR.
GeeGee's vs Ravens will be a bar fight !!!

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
AUS:
UNB vs UPEI
SMU vs Acadia

OUA:
UQTR vs Nipissing
Ottawa vs Carleton
Western vs Waterloo
Guelph vs Windsor

West:
Alberta vs Calgary
Saskatchewan vs Manitoba

northvanman

Jun 4, 2009
Oakville, ON
OUA Divisional Semis

Nipissing vs. UQTR
Wed @ Nipissing, 7pm
Sat @ UQTR, 2pm
Sun @ UQTR, 7:30pm

Ottawa vs. Carleton
Wed @ Carleton, 7pm
Fri @ Ottawa, 7pm
Sun @ Carleton, 7pm

Waterloo vs. Western
Thu @ Western, 7pm
Sat @ Waterloo, 7:30pm
Sun @ Western, 7pm

Guelph vs. Windsor
Thu @ Windsor, 7:30pm
Sat @ Guelph, 7:30pm
Sun @ Windsor, 7:30pm

leafhky88

Mar 16, 2009
Toronto

Highlights of Guelph's 3-2 overtime win, putting them into the OUA West Semi Finals and ending Laurier's season. Interviews include Mitchell Good (last year's leading scorer), Captain and the team's best defensive defenceman Kyle Van De Bospoort, and Goaltender and former OUA West MVP, Ryan Daniels. These 3 players comprise Laurier's graduating class for the 2012-2013 season. It has been fun watching each of those players since their arrival in the 2009-2010 season.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
Nipissing vs. UQTR
Wed @ Nipissing, 7pm
Sat @ UQTR, 2pm
Sun @ UQTR, 7:30pm

Ottawa vs. Carleton
Wed @ Carleton, 7pm
Fri @ Ottawa, 7pm
Sun @ Carleton, 7pm

Waterloo vs. Western
Thu @ Western, 7pm
Sat @ Waterloo, 7:30pm
Sun @ Western, 7pm

Guelph vs. Windsor
Thu @ Windsor, 7:30pm
Sat @ Guelph, 7:30pm
Sun @ Windsor, 7:30pm

Safe to say that it would be a huge upset if Western doesn't come out of the OUA. This team may be better than the one who came within a goal of winning the University Cup in 2012.
Big holes to fill with Baker and Turks gone, but Clarke seems to be one of the best offseason recruits of any team in the country. Big Zach Harden played hurt in that tournament and also been on a roll this year. They have lots of offence and good goaltending with Josh Unice. I don't know if they are as good as last years team that played in Freddy, but I do expect to see them in Saskatoon.

northvanman

Jun 4, 2009
Oakville, ON
Safe to say that it would be a huge upset if Western doesn't come out of the OUA. This team may be better than the one who came within a goal of winning the University Cup in 2012.
Big holes to fill with Baker and Turks gone, but Clarke seems to be one of the best offseason recruits of any team in the country. Big Zach Harden played hurt in that tournament and also been on a roll this year. They have lots of offence and good goaltending with Josh Unice. I don't know if they are as good as last years team that played in Freddy, but I do expect to see them in Saskatoon.

Harnden was injured in the second period of Game 1 vs. UOIT and did not play in Game 2. There's been nothing reported on his status, but he's obviously a huge loss if he stays out - he was their top goal scorer with 21 this year.

I think this is a stronger team than the one that went to the Nationals last year. Their top line is not as explosive as a year ago, but their top line this year (Clarke, Harnden, Reese) and their second line (Delcoste, Erlich, Ferlong) are, in combination, much stronger than their top 2 lines last year. Overall, they are a very balanced team - in their 8-1 win against UOIT last last week, there were 8 different goal scorers.

They will be challenged to get out of the OUA West this year. I don't think people outside of the OUA recognize how much stronger and how balanced this division was this year. Guelph and Windsor are both very good teams and both gave Western all they could handle when they played this year (vs. Windsor, Western was 1-2, and vs. Guelph, they were 2-1). Western swept Waterloo this year, but the Warriors played them very tough in 2 of their 3 losses, and Keaton Hartigan, as he did against Lakehead in game 2, can steal games. So while I agree they are the strongest team in OUA West, they will have to play 60 minutes every game to make it out - something they were not doing consistently at the end of the regular season. I have no read at all on UQTR, so who knows what happens in that one gamer for the championship when/if it happens.

WilcoxHound

Aug 26, 2011
Indeed, that will be a great serie. The loser will soften the winner, which could make it easier for UQTR if they go through Nipissing.

UQTR will be damaged goods if they get passed Nipissing. The Lakers are playing like mad dogs right now and taking no prisoners.

WilcoxHound

Aug 26, 2011
From what I saw of their game with McGill it was the least physical of the series.

Lakers broke them down in the first 2 games, no decent coach will let their players randomly crash skulls in the final game of a winner advances series. You must have missed the hit on the McGill player who left the game in the first period? Teams like Nipissing, Ottawa and Carleton who don't have an abundance of finesse players find other ways to win in the playoffs and that can involve attrition, physically wearing down the opposition. To be successful they need to play "Don Cherry style" hockey.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Acadia 3 SMU 2 (ot) - Huge win for the underdog Axemen. Probably a bit fortunate to pick up the victory as they did not have many scoring chances. Cazzolla with the second straight game winner.

WilcoxHound

Aug 26, 2011
A fairly tame game at the Ice Box tonight not the war these two teams have shown when playing each other in the past. With the score 1-1 and GG's goalie Abbott playing in a zone the Ravens picked their spot to run him, knocking his mask off and flattening him into the ice. Ravens took only 25 seconds after the incident to score their only even strength goal of the night. Solid defence by the Ravens keeping UO on the boards for most of the game. GG's had 3 empty net opportunities but completely missed burying the puck on each attempt. A fairly even game decided by power play goals.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Acadia 3 SMU 2 (ot) - Huge win for the underdog Axemen. Probably a bit fortunate to pick up the victory as they did not have many scoring chances. Cazzolla with the second straight game winner.

I wouldn't call Acadia an underdog. Both teams match up pretty well, the major difference being goaltending where SMU has the edge with Peters. Mosher played well last night making the routine stops and a couple of tough saves as well. He also managed to slow the game down when SMU was pressing by just catching the puck and getting a whistle.

Acadia played 4 lines at times and 3 lines most of the game while SMU rolled their top 2 lines for what seemed to be a long stretch in the 2nd period. Four defencemen seemed to be the norm as well for SMU. Given that these guys also kill penalties and are used on the PP, it's not surprising that mental and physical fatigue was a factor on the GWG.

Look for SMU to come out with a purpose tonight to avoid going down 2 games.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
I wouldn't call Acadia an underdog. Both teams match up pretty well, the major difference being goaltending where SMU has the edge with Peters. Mosher played well last night making the routine stops and a couple of tough saves as well. He also managed to slow the game down when SMU was pressing by just catching the puck and getting a whistle.

Acadia played 4 lines at times and 3 lines most of the game while SMU rolled their top 2 lines for what seemed to be a long stretch in the 2nd period. Four defencemen seemed to be the norm as well for SMU. Given that these guys also kill penalties and are used on the PP, it's not surprising that mental and physical fatigue was a factor on the GWG.

Look for SMU to come out with a purpose tonight to avoid going down 2 games.

Yeah, I definitely expect SMU to come out stronger tonight. Axemen at least got the split that they wanted.

I think the Panthers are pretty much in a must win situation tonight. This is their best chance to beat the Vreds who have been inactive for almost two weeks.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
Yeah, I definitely expect SMU to come out stronger tonight. Axemen at least got the split that they wanted.

I think the Panthers are pretty much in a must win situation tonight. This is their best chance to beat the Vreds who have been inactive for almost two weeks.

You're right, if UPEI falls behind against UNB they're going g to have a very hard time winning the series. UNB also gets a big boost getting Tyler Carroll and Josh Kidd back in the lineup.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
UNB 7 UPEI 2 - Hard to believe this was a 1-0 game half way through the second. The Vreds continue to be a third period team with four goals in the third. Their power play finally got working with three goals. The Panthers started to lose their composure in the 3rd.

northvanman

Jun 4, 2009
Oakville, ON
Western 3, Waterloo 1. Very evenly played game. Scoreless after 2, Waterloo held a 1-0 lead with under 10 minutes to play. Western then got a couple of quick ones and added an empty netter. Waterloo could have taken this one, but Western won a lot of these kinds of games during the regular season so this was familiar territory for them. Leading scorer Zach Harnden, who was injured in the UOIT series and missed Game 2, was back tonight and scored the game winning goal

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
Western 3, Waterloo 1. Very evenly played game. Scoreless after 2, Waterloo held a 1-0 lead with under 10 minutes to play. Western then got a couple of quick ones and added an empty netter. Waterloo could have taken this one, but Western won a lot of these kinds of games during the regular season so this was familiar territory for them. Leading scorer Zach Harnden, who was injured in the UOIT series and missed Game 2, was back tonight and scored the game winning goal
Looks like Waterloo was playing the trap, when I tuned in for the third and were doing a good job of forcing Western forwards to the outside. They were close to an upset.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
SMU 4 Acadia 2 - Reading the boxscore it seemed like a close game. Shots were just 30-25 in favor of the Huskies. Axemen have to be at least somewhat satisfied with the split.

Note: The attendance for this game was 1795. Aitken Centre had a measly 1218

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad