GDT: 2013 Caps Trade Deadline Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Time to hammer this thread

I may stick to my guns and say his big move today is a cheap vet goalie. Does anyone have faith in Neuvy to even be healthy at this point? While history will show we turn to unproven rookies when the playoffs start (think Grubauer) we have rolled 3 G's before.

No one wants Sarge more than George. He is not going anywhere. His Value Of thread on the mains returned anywhere from a 7th to negative value because of next years cap hit.

Last edited by a moderator:

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Time to hammer this thread

I may stick to my guns and say his big move today is a cheap vet goalie. Does anyone have faith in Neuvy to even be healthy at this point? While history will show we turn to unproven rookies when the playoffs start (think Grubauer) we have rolled 3 G's before.

No one wants Sarge more than George. He is not going anywhere. His Value Of thread on the mains returned anywhere from a 7th to negative value because of next years cap hit.

I actually do. Should Holtby go down I have a ton of confidence in Neuvirth. BB believed in him and I do too. You don't have a pedigree like him due to sucking and his few illness/injuries are more fluky than anything.

Our young goalies have taken us this far so I say stick with them.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
George has rolled with 3Gs before.

Every time Neuvy's number has been called recently, he has been ill. Random bad luck in all likelihood, but i am weary of Neuvy. He got the full support of Bruce yes but then lost 4 straight to Tampa. Sure it was more than just G play, but compare to Varly, who at least stole playoff games for us. I think George traded away the better of the 2. It appears today Holtby is the better of the 2.

Grubauer is right there ready to push himself.

How far into Ovi's career will we be having an ongoing goalie competition?

I think Neuvy is trending towards being a solid backup more than solid starter at this point. But he is failing at being healthy as a backup this year.

George failed to have a young goalie ready to replace Kolzig in a timely manner. We are still trying to find his replacement.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
George has rolled with 3Gs before.

Every time Neuvy's number has been called recently, he has been ill. Random bad luck in all likelihood, but i am weary of Neuvy. He got the full support of Bruce yes but then lost 4 straight to Tampa. Sure it was more than just G play, but compare to Varly, who at least stole playoff games for us. I think George traded away the better of the 2. It appears today Holtby is the better of the 2.

Grubauer is right there ready to push himself.

How far into Ovi's career will we be having an ongoing goalie competition?

I think Neuvy is trending towards being a solid backup more than solid starter at this point. But he is failing at being healthy as a backup this year.

George failed to have a young goalie ready to replace Kolzig in a timely manner. We are still trying to find his replacement.

Sometimes we are all too willing to give up on a young player and I believe this to be the case with Neuvirth.

Early in the year there are many on here calling for MJs head.

Last year and this year (sans paloffs) it was Carlson.

Perhaps its just me but I give a long leash to young players such as Neuvirth. Remember Kolzig didn't find his game until he was 28.

Neuvirth has come through for us in the past and I believe he can do so again. I would not move him at this point or put him in the pressbox.

We rolled with 3Gs when Huet was brought aboard to be the starter not backup.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Renaud Lavoie‏@RenLavoieRDS2m
Mike Ribeiro is ready to accept a 4 year extension instead of a 5 year. It will be interesting to see what will be Capitals respond.

And I have been a big Neuvy supporter, but the kid had a chance this year to open the eyes of GMGM and the coaching staff that he is #1 material and he didn't seize it. Same with last year. At some point the team will stop giving you chances and move on. Seems clear that is the situation Neuvy is in now.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I am not sure Ovi and the team have the luxury to see if the 4 young G'uns ;) at age 28 become something special. Decisions must be made well before that age. Varly was the first to go. He is only 24.

I don't think we trade Neuvy today, but think Grubauer could fill his role as emergency starter this year if he were. I doubt MN even plays the rest of the regular season. is that even good for his development?

How many times does a G get beat out before you decide he is not the one? I think the best one should the one retained, not the loser be the one that challenges the new kid. While many may argue he was better than Varly, but I am not one of them.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
@Real_ESPNLeBrun: A name that's out there today: Jason Chimera. Could move.

Makes sense, though less so if they don't add a top nine forward.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009

Ah you beat me. Here is a funny response to that tweet.

JapersRink‏@JapersRink1m
Yes, please. RT @real_espnlebrun A name that's out there today: Jason Chimera. Could move.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
I am not sure Ovi and the team have the luxury to see if the 4 young G'uns ;) at age 28 become something special. Decisions must be made well before that age. Varly was the first to go. He is only 24.

I don't think we trade Neuvy today, but think Grubauer could fill his role as emergency starter this year if he were. I doubt MN even plays the rest of the regular season. is that even good for his development?

How many times does a G get beat out before you decide he is not the one? I think the best one should the one retained, not the loser be the one that challenges the new kid. While many may argue he was better than Varly, but I am not one of them.

Renaud Lavoie‏@RenLavoieRDS2m
Mike Ribeiro is ready to accept a 4 year extension instead of a 5 year. It will be interesting to see what will be Capitals respond.

And I have been a big Neuvy supporter, but the kid had a chance this year to open the eyes of GMGM and the coaching staff that he is #1 material and he didn't seize it. Same with last year. At some point the team will stop giving you chances and move on. Seems clear that is the situation Neuvy is in now.

OK guys ...lets step back in our time machine to 94-95.

At the time we had 3 young goalies. Dafoe and Kolzig started that season and stunk it up or were inconsistent. Carey came in and seized it. Over the next few years they were still trying to figure things out with each goalie (Dafoe got traded the next year I believe) being given a chance to seize the reigns and none did.

We bring in a washed up Bill Ranford who does pretty much nothing.

Then at the age of 28 Kolzig, after being given 4 years of chances, finally seizes the reigns.

Again...it takes young goalies a while to figure things out. Kolzig rode the pine as a backup the majority of those years from age 24 to 28 btw

I would NOT move Chimera. The guy has always come up big for us in the playoffs. While he has sucked this year I believe it to be an abberation.

We need to keep him.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Also on the Chimera front:

Stephen Whyno‏@SWhyno1m
Heard same weeks ago. #caps LW has 1 year on deal RT @Real_ESPNLeBrun: A name that's out there today: Jason Chimera. Could move.

This is frustrating. I follow Whyno on twitter and I don't remember him saying this "weeks ago". Does GMGM have some Jedi powers over those covering the Caps that they don't offer rumors of any kind?

msrulo

Feb 3, 2013
Toronto, ON
Also on the Chimera front:

Stephen Whyno‏@SWhyno1m
Heard same weeks ago. #caps LW has 1 year on deal RT @Real_ESPNLeBrun: A name that's out there today: Jason Chimera. Could move.

This is frustrating. I follow Whyno on twitter and I don't remember him saying this "weeks ago". Does GMGM have some Jedi powers over those covering the Caps that they don't offer rumors of any kind?

GMGM is usually shuts his mouth in these times..

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
GMGM is usually shuts his mouth in these times..

I know GMGM is tight lipped, but Whyno said he heard that weeks ago. Why can't Whyno offer up some interesting information from time to time? Don't even need to put Chimera's name in it. Just say "Heard a Caps winger on the lower lines might be available come deadline time"?

brs03

Coo coo ca cha!
Jun 2, 2008
Maryland
I know GMGM is tight lipped, but Whyno said he heard that weeks ago. Why can't Whyno offer up some interesting information from time to time? Don't even need to put Chimera's name in it. Just say "Heard a Caps winger on the lower lines might be available come deadline time"?

Best I can come up with is that he didn't trust the source, but still...

CrashTheNet9

Jul 11, 2011
Whyno was probably too busy writing blog posts on who the Flyers might trade. Our beat writers never write any decent articles or rumors.

bonzaibondra12

Feb 13, 2010
Rockville, MD
I am for using Neuvirth, Galiev, Orlov, a 2nd, and Schilling to upgrade our 2ld and 2lw situation.

I don't want it to be rental only guys. Better be players we could extend.

CrashTheNet9

Jul 11, 2011
I am for using Neuvirth, Galiev, Orlov, a 2nd, and Schilling to upgrade our 2ld and 2lw situation.

I don't want it to be rental only guys. Better be players we could extend.

I would throw in MP too as another player we could package with one of those players you named.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Renaud Lavoie‏@RenLavoieRDS44m
It will be a shock if the Capitals trade Mike Ribeiro today, even if don't sign a contract extension today. #transactions2013

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Best I can come up with is that he didn't trust the source, but still...

I am sure that factors in, but its more about the general level of coverage of the Caps from the beat guys/gals. Nothing about trade rumors, injuries, **** like that. Just reporting what those of us that watch the game already know.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
For those interested:

John Auville‏@moneymetalcakes2m
our buddy @brookslaich from the @washcaps is coming up next on @1067thefandc

Retweeted by JapersRink

Might be some useful info. If so, a recap would be nice because I don't listen to those donkeys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino