GDT: 2013 - Around the League Games Playoffs!!!!!! - Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Suicide pass aside, it's on Gryba to not make a hit as devastating as that. He could have hit him but held up and contacted him with less impact, and instead he unloaded. I'd be stunned if he doesn't get suspended.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
I bet he will get 2 games. (4 if it was regular season)

I thought it could go either way.

1. Hit to the head of a defenseless player

or

2. Keep your head up buddy this isn't the ice capades

I just don't see that one at all. I'm sorry. Unfortunate consequence for sure. But that hit was ALL hockey.

You regulate that play out of the game, you're gonna wreck this sport.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
I think it was to try and get the leafs AND montreal a possible saturday night game. So the bruins play the leafs tomorrow and if there's a game next saturday it's montreal/ottawa.

maybe?

Hmmmm...ok. I also noticed that a game 6/7 would be back to back nights for the B's. G6 in Toronto Sunday and G7 in Boston Monday. Terrible. Hopefully it doesn't go past 5.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Suicide pass aside, it's on Gryba to not make a hit as devastating as that. He could have hit him but held up and contacted him with less impact, and instead he unloaded. I'd be stunned if he doesn't get suspended.

Really? Disagree, as I didn't think the contact was vicious in any way, just a big, solid hit. You are just mad nobody brought you your bugerrito :laugh:

Danton Heineken

Howard Potts
Mar 11, 2007
Fall River
Guys, listen to Bob McKenzie's explanation of this hit. You are allowed to make contact with a player's head, as long as there is sufficient contact with the body as well. This is NOT a Rule 48 violation, like Ference's was because the principal point of contact was not the head.

This is as close as we'll get in this day and age to a Scott Stevens-type hit that is devastating, but not dirty. Wish Gryba was a Bruin.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I just don't see that one at all. I'm sorry. Unfortunate consequence for sure. But that hit was ALL hockey.

Just a couple of things on this. First off, the league is all about handing down judgements based on injury, never mind whether it was a clean hit or not. In this case, the guy got his face broken. Second is that Eller was unconscious before he hit the ice. I'm not a doctor (wait, am I a doctor?), but I'd imagine it's pretty hard to get knocked out without taking a head shot. Third, Shannahan loves to use the term predatory hit. In this case, despite there being contradictory evidence on whether it was a head shot, the guy got hurt, and he never saw it coming. All that equals Gryba getting a vacation, IMO. I'd be shocked if he didn't.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Really? Disagree, as I didn't think the contact was vicious in any way, just a big, solid hit. You are just mad nobody brought you your bugerrito :laugh:

I am mad about that and mad that it doesn't yet exist, but that's a different story.

In terms of the hit, I honestly have no issue with it. It was a little over the line, but not much. What I'm saying is that I think this is how league views these things now, and based off the penalty and misconduct he got, he's going to get suspended, IMO.

SerenityRick

Jan 23, 2008
Moultonborough, NH

The ONLY time I agree with that is when boardings/hits from behind are involved.

Otherwise I really hate the idea that players should have to "let up" especially on open ice hits.

In the end sometimes unfortunate, events happen. The game moves at a fast pace and sometimes guys are going to get hurt. I think that's the case here. No need for additional discipline from the league, at least in my opinion.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
The ONLY time I agree with that is when boardings/hits from behind are involved.

Otherwise I really hate the idea that players should have to "let up" especially on open ice hits.

In the end sometimes unfortunate, events happen. The game moves at a fast pace and sometimes guys are going to get hurt. I think that's the case here.

Shannahan has used the term "predatory hit" on multiple occasions in all sorts of ways to suspend a guy for the results of what is actually a clean hit. It's the league we have today.

SerenityRick

Jan 23, 2008
Moultonborough, NH
Shannahan has used the term "predatory hit" on multiple occasions in all sorts of ways to suspend a guy for the results of what is actually a clean hit. It's the league we have today.

Well a hit can be clean but still be illegal (like.. behind the play or the recipient of said hit being nowhere near the puck). I would probably agree if the term "predatory" was used in those examples.

EDIT - Clean as in.. a clean body check. The technique of said hit being legal. But the timing of it would of course make it illegal/predatory.

But in this case.. the Sens player was right on Eller and was greenlit for a hit as soon as Eller got the puck.
I mean.. had Eller not have played the puck or the puck wasn't passed to him then yeah.. absolutely a suspendable "predatory" hit. but because the pass was made AND received.. he's greenlit for an open ice hit. The question then becomes was it a targeted hit to the head or illegal in some other way and it simply wasn't. At least not to me.

QuattroFTW

Nov 4, 2009
Ottawa
I never really fully understood the level of hatred you guys had towards the Habs, but Prust's little girly rage and Therrien's rant against arguably one of the best coaches in the league right now puts it all into perspective:laugh: It was a clean hit and there's nothing you can do about it. Focus on YOUR player, not OUR coach.

VanIsle

Jun 5, 2007
Comox Valley, B.C.

What about the same play that they have in football?

It hasn't wrecked the sport, I myself personally like the big hits, and if you are gonna skate with your head down you better watch out.

That hit has so much controversy related to it, as some like it because of the physicality and some do not as they believe he was defenseless.

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
I never really fully understood the level of hatred you guys had towards the Habs, but Prust's little girly rage and Therrien's rant against arguably one of the best coaches in the league right now puts it all into perspective:laugh: It was a clean hit and there's nothing you can do about it. Focus on YOUR player, not OUR coach.

all it takes is one playoff game for you to start to see why we hate the Habs so much.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

Welcome to the club. The Habs fans are literally the worst fans in all of sports. I'm just surprised there were no 911 calls demanding the arrest of Gryba...:laugh:

TD74

Apr 12, 2011
Laval, Canada
Welcome to the club. The Habs fans are literally the worst fans in all of sports. I'm just surprised there were no 911 calls demanding the arrest of Gryba...:laugh:

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

This is getting better and better......I cant believe we are going to get bumped out of 1st place in mtl's "public enemy 1" **** list...... :D

BoyntBergie

Mar 9, 2004
Gryba will be suspended for at least a game just because the league doesn't want a gong show tonight in MTL. Let him return for 3 and 4 in Ottawa, then by the time the return to MTL rolls around for 5, maybe things have cooled off a bit.

Not saying I agree with this at all, but I wouldn't be surprised if this is how the league handles it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad