2013 9th Overall Pick Discussion: Horvat vs Nichushkin [MOD NOTE POST #1]

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
55-65 point 2nd line centre is a pretty underwhelming description of Bergeron. You make it sound like you are merely comparing him to an average 2nd line C, such as Cogliano, Stajan, Cullen, etc. That is not the case. You are comparing/projecting this prospect with the best 2 way player in the NHL. Think about for a moment.

He's in a group with 10-15 other players for the two-way title. Meanwhile Jagr is close to a generational talent and one of the best in this league's whole history. The latter comparison is completely ridiculous because not even Crosby and Malkin might have careers as good as Jagr or reach his peak.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
He's in a group with 10-15 other players for the two-way title. Meanwhile Jagr is close to a generational talent and one of the best in this league's whole history. The latter comparison is completely ridiculous because not even Crosby and Malkin might have careers as good as Jagr or reach his peak.

I disagree. Bergeon is neck and neck with Toews for the two-way title and my money is on Bergeon. Although I see why some may prefer Toews.

Not only do I think the comparison outlandish, I also think it's unfair to Horvat. I see him more as a Legwand/Fisher, and there is nothing wrong with that.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010

i think an argument can be made that jagr is the 5th best player in nhl history so uh, yeah, you're spot on

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
Okay, Bergeron is not that good... Take ROR over him all day every day. Prob Couture too, even though his face is difficult to look at.

Frankiedarling

Jan 27, 2012
Seattle, Washington
I honestly dont see the Kesler comparisons at all. People always say that, but the only similarities between the two is that they are both 2 way centres. Play style is completely different.

Kesler is primarily a shooter, Horvat is primarily a playmaker.

Kesler is leaner and quicker than Horvat, but Horvat is larger (already outweighs Kesler at age 18) and I feel he is a better puck protector relative to his age.

I think Kesler overall is a more flashy player while Horvat is much more cerebral.

The two player comparables I like when it comes to Horvat are Ryan O'Rielly and Patrice Bergeron.

I don't mean as a direct comparable, but as the kind of player he'll be for us. I can see Horvat filling Kesler's role on the team, filling that 2nd line spot while providing good offense and stellar defense. The particulars may change, but I think what we're looking for from him is a Kesler replacement.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
It's silly to project either of them as Jagr, Malkin, Bergeron, Messier, etc. Both comparisons are outlandish.

55-65 point 2nd line centre is a pretty underwhelming description of Bergeron. You make it sound like you are merely comparing him to an average 2nd line C, such as Cogliano, Stajan, Cullen, etc. That is not the case. You are comparing/projecting this prospect with the best 2 way player in the NHL. Think about for a moment.

For the record - it's not even that I dislike Horvat that much. I think he would've been a great pick in the 15-20 range. I do think that many of you are setting yourselves up for disappointment with these ludicrous projections, and I feel for the kid as he'll be dumped on when he isn't a perennial Selke candidate. :shakehead

I just thought I would point out the comparison to Bergeron was started from the draft when Bobby Mac said he was Bergeron like/lite (some debate on which was said). If he becomes that or not is up for debate, but the comparison is not just some fans trying to pump the tires of Bo.

Ventana*

So what are peoples' thoughts? Horvat obviously having a better year but Valeri's injured. Is the Canucks forum here pretty unanimous that they'd have Horvat or are there still people that would take Nuke?

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
So what are peoples' thoughts? Horvat obviously having a better year but Valeri's injured. Is the Canucks forum here pretty unanimous that they'd have Horvat or are there still people that would take Nuke?

I have always like the pick, my belief has been about building down the middle, and I think a two way guy who produces slightly less is more important than a one way scorer.

Now I have been thrilled with Bo's improvements, especially his skating. Hard to judge when the other player is injured.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
not enough has happened to make me prefer horvat, but I'm glad gillis' instincts were probably right about this kid

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I probably would've liked whichever player we picked, but I'm overly excited about Horvat the way he has progressed this season. Looks very promising.

Zarpan

Apr 27, 2010
Vancouver
Happy with Horvat's development so far.

Nich is a good player and it is too bad that he's injured. However, that does save us from dealing with endless comparisons during Bo's rookie season.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Happy with Horvat's development so far.

Nich is a good player and it is too bad that he's injured. However, that does save us from dealing with endless comparisons during Bo's rookie season.

Sums up my thoughts exactly. If we'd drafted Nich, I wouldn't have complained about passing on Bo. But I liked/like Bo enough that I never regretted passing on Nich either. Both bring things this team needs and will be valuable players in the league. Just glad we can finally see Bo in the show so that people realize we didn't draft a 3rd line checker. His ceiling has always been much higher than that and while it is still early, you can see the potential in his game.

McHortton

Accidental Tank 2016
Jun 28, 2013
Vancouver
Well I think it's pretty safe to say that Horvat is extremely sturdy and resilient , doesn't seem like he's going to get injured much whereas Nuke's a bit more fragile. Not a big deal but definitely one advantage Horvat has on him.

Two very different players but definitely loving Horvat. I sometimes find it hard to believe that he'll be a 50 point player but considering he's already averaging 20+ ish points at 19 on the 4th line I think its pretty safe to say that he'll certainly get close to it at least , in a few years or so. Especially if he's playing with more offensive players.

Go bo! :handclap:

The Poacher

Dec 30, 2010
Pitt Meadows
i kind of feel that JV brings a lot of what Nich does but also has a physical element to his game which is a big plus. So we didn't really lose out on a speedy sniping winger. At this point I'd say the right pick was Horvat who looks to be very promising.

thedean

Jan 20, 2015
A player like Nichushkin is good for marketing, a player like Horvat is good for the playoffs.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Nichushkin is old news. :)sarcasm:) The real comparison is between Horvat and the best prospect not in the NHL: (according to Craig Button)

B6OCz_GCMAEe_cR.jpg

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
i kind of feel that JV brings a lot of what Nich does but also has a physical element to his game which is a big plus. So we didn't really lose out on a speedy sniping winger. At this point I'd say the right pick was Horvat who looks to be very promising.

Agreed, Virtenen and Horvat fit into the philosophy the Canucks are trying to attain, a big strong grind you down team. I love Nichushkin as much at the next guy, but I'd take Horvat over him at this point, especially considering we have Virtanen.

jimslob

Dec 9, 2008
Probably Drouin but I wouldn't know. I don't go to bed with pictures of these kids on my wall!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad