Prospect Info: 2013-2014 Rangers Prospects Thread *Part III* (Player Stats in Post #1; Updated 4/8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
well some might think he might go back to the QMJHL, but if AV gives him a real chance in preseason and he plays wellresponds, maybe he can make the team out of camp....

i hope this is not a Devante Smith-Pelly situation where he makes the Rangers because too good for the QMJHL, and then the following year goes to the AHL?? Pelly played 49 games as a 19 year old, with 7 goals 13 pts and had a cup of coffee this year but played most of the year in AHL..

I think it's better going back to juniors dominating than accelerating a player that isn't ready for NHL. It didn't hurt Huberdeau to go back to the Q for a year and a half after his draft. He was in the same situation as Duclair, better offensively than most of the league but not strong enough physically for the NHL.

Fans from NHL teams don't understand but these players are really important for the CHL. They're the reason why the CHL is the best junior league in the world. Without that rule, the CHL would be stripped of its best elements. I think the positives are better than the negatives for the NHL since the CHL is their primary talent developer.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
Haven't seen the kid play but on paper, I'm for Duclair playing another year in the Q. getting bigger and physically dominating his opposition is what he can prove. And unless he topples Mantha, being the best in the Q is something else he can prove. Playing defense too, being both dominating in the O and bringing the two-way play he'll need in the NHL. +/- always gets the misleading stat award but improving his +/- by 2x would say a lot too. When has an extra year HURT a player before?

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Fans from NHL teams don't understand but these players are really important for the CHL. They're the reason why the CHL is the best junior league in the world. Without that rule, the CHL would be stripped of its best elements. I think the positives are better than the negatives for the NHL since the CHL is their primary talent developer.

Agreed. Dropping the quality of play in the CHL would ultimately harm many more players than letting a few of them move on to the AHL.

If anything, I'd allow for more overagers per team, maybe 5. This would improve the quality of CHL play with more experienced, physically developed players. The quality CHLers would still play, but a couple of borderliners who are either too young or lack all talent would play at a level lower.

Let's also keep in mind that The Duke has really only been hot for 2 months. As impressive as it sounds, it doesn't prove that he's too dominant for the CHL, not just yet. The quality of hockey gets better in the playoffs because all the garbage teams are out and the better teams play tighter hockey. Let's see if he can dominate then.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Duclair has absolutely nothing left to prove in the Q with those monster numbers. Judging from his highlights, defense in the Q is non existent. He needs to take the next step.

He'll be back at Q and there's nothing wrong with that. One of the youngest of his draft class. Missed the cut off for 2014 draft by something like a month or 2.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Duke needs another season in the Q. Let him continue to grow, and show us he can string together two consecutive great seasons.

Also, I swear I will update the first post soon. I've been away on business, but will get it this weekend! Even if no one even looks at it, it bugs me. :laugh:

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
I get why the system is the way it is, the CHL is a big business, but I think it really hurts the development of players.

Couldn't we, technically, loan Duclair to an SHL team to give him an intermediate level between the Q and the NHL? Doesn't the rule only concern the AHL.

It is never going to happen and I'm sure Duclair wouldn't want to play in Sweden, but is it an option or is that forbidden as well?

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Duke needs another season in the Q. Let him continue to grow, and show us he can string together two consecutive great seasons.

Also, I swear I will update the first post soon. I've been away on business, but will get it this weekend! Even if no one even looks at it, it bugs me. :laugh:

I look at it regularly and doubt I'm the only one. Much appreciated.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Rather Duc plays one extra year in the Q than be rushed. Don't want a repeat of Grachev or Del Z. I'm still unhappy with Miller playing in the AHL last season.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Rather Duc plays one extra year in the Q than be rushed. Don't want a repeat of Grachev or Del Z. I'm still unhappy with Miller playing in the AHL last season.

I think Miller is one of the few exceptions where joining pro hockey as a teenager was helpful.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
If Duclair matures further physically this off season, he will push for a spot next season.

That is a big if, but I've been saying this for months now. He is just physical maturity away from getting a long look.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
I get why the system is the way it is, the CHL is a big business, but I think it really hurts the development of players.

Couldn't we, technically, loan Duclair to an SHL team to give him an intermediate level between the Q and the NHL? Doesn't the rule only concern the AHL.

It is never going to happen and I'm sure Duclair wouldn't want to play in Sweden, but is it an option or is that forbidden as well?

The NHL won't let you loan him elsewhere. They didn't accept it for Grigorenko.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
If Duclair matures further physically this off season, he will push for a spot next season.

That is a big if, but I've been saying this for months now. He is just physical maturity away from getting a long look.

That's true for most skilled prospects. They may have the skill, but at 18, they are boys, not men.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
I think Miller is one of the few exceptions where joining pro hockey as a teenager was helpful.

That's because he was a man playing against boys, always looked that way when he was on the National team and in the CHL.

My fear was that he was going to be one of those guys who maxed out against his age group. I don't feel that way anymore as I think we've done the right thing by sending him down and letting him develop his game. If it were up to me I'd keep him down there the rest of the way, maybe give him some playoff experience even if he rides the pine.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

Yeah. I don't think it's productive to be saying, at this point, what Duclair should be doing next year. Player's bodies can change dramatically in one off-season at his age.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Yeah. I don't think it's productive to be saying, at this point, what Duclair should be doing next year. Player's bodies can change dramatically in one off-season at his age.

When I say someone "should" be at a certain level next season, it's with the assumption that he's following a regular progression/development curve and doesn't have some sort of dramatic maturation.

Michael Scott

Jul 23, 2012
Seeing Boo Nieves tonight at UMich vs. PSU @ Pegula Ice Arena. I'll try to nab some pics during pregame warmups.

Michael Scott

Jul 23, 2012
NievesRangersProspect.JPG

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Duclair with an assist through about half his game right now. Quebec up 2-0.

The Duke with a goal late in the third to make sure he gets his minimum 2 points. Needs to pick it up a little bit, as he's been ice cold the last two games, getting only 4 points.

He's got 89 points (47 goals) in 51 games.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Duclair with a goal and an assist, can he stop busting already? 2 points smh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia